Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
That's not an option. It's just DNG. When you're done editing the RAW image file, you can export it as whatever file format you want.
I'm on iP 13 Pro Max so I did not know that.

I guess perhaps it's not true RAW then, like on my iPhone RAW files are over sharpened mess.
I see no other reason why it would be slow.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
You've been using an X all this time? Wow. Much respect. I wish I had the discipline and intelligence to do this. Any helpful hints to do this for an annual upgrader like myself? :p Very cool.
My wife has my hand-me-down X, while I'm remaining on an 11 Pro Max.
Realistically the X is still going strong, other than yeah, I think the battery finally dropped below 80% recently. Not a bad 5-6 year run though.

Back in my PC days and overclocking earlier days, I used to upgrade at least <something> or build a new system near yearly, arguing I used the home systems for work (developer at the time) as well as some gaming. Eventually it just became $$ and not-so-rewarding chasing the 'latest' perpetually, even mores in the past decade - Intel MacBook pros once SSDs became available and the norm weren't a whole lot of (useful) performance improvements, similar on phones, while prices for both have kept going up.

Hell, I've owned over 100 vehicles by now and literally only ever bought ONE new, saving untold thousands of $ there - so why would I throw cash out the window on a becoming-overpriced phone or laptop that has only incremental improvements over the last, or even several back, and there will be another one in a year or so trying to get you to do it all again? I make some good $, but there are limits on what I'll send cash on for 'not-so-necessary' purchases.

A friend of mine and I were talking the other day and he's usually very much 'need the latest' - obsessed with OLED (not just for TV, only way he'd buy another display at all), latest GPUs (which he doesn't really use anymore), etc., and we starting talking about phones - my 'outdated' 11 Pro Max, and he's got a 12 Pro Max. Came to the conclusion pretty quickly there just isn't anything the 14 or 15 do that's truly needed so why waste the cash? Could put it towards a vacation instead (or for laptops lately - pay for the whole vacation ;) ).

Nothing wrong with the occasional 'because I feel like it' purchase, but especially on phones, it's a pretty transient/short-lived (I have the latest!) type of experience unless you truly need something only available with the newer model.

PS - I just bought my wife an iPhone 14. Would love to be done with lightning cables everywhere, but guess not yet - the 14 should be good at least 3-5 years. Maybe I'll look at a used or refurb 15 in a year and a half or 2 to replace my 11 pro max.
YMMV as always, but consider the below $$ spent/differences if I had upgraded/bought new every year.

My MacBooks went from core 2 duo MPB -> white MacBook -> 2011 15 MBP -> 2015 15 MBP -> 2019 MBP 16, and now finally I just picked up a used 64GB 2TB M1 Max MBP 14. Every single one of those was I needed to upgrade, usually for Max RAM for a given model, then running out of both storage AND RAM on the 2015 MBP. The M1 Max is the closest to a 'why not/feel like it' purchase as the MBP 16 is still doing its job well. core 2 duo was new, white MacBook was refurb, 2011, 2015 and 2019 were bought used, M1 Max was bought used/refurbed.

Phones - heck, original iPhone -> whatever the 3rd gen was called -> 6S -> X -> 11 Pro Max. 1st new were from apple new, 6S was used, X bought new, 11 Pro Max new via work but paid the 'upgrades' (from 11 to pro max).

Tablets - huh. something like iPad Air -> iPad Pro 12.9" second gen, still going... bought the air used, the pro refurbished. I had that Air a long time...

Watches - 2 (refused first gen, no waterproof = fail), now watch 6, nothing in between. 2 was new, 6 was used. Will eventually probably/maybe get an Ultra, if they ever make it interesting enough to 'need' or at least 'really really want one.' Maybe. Probably refurbed..

I'm not going to do the math on the above, will just go with literally thousands of $, well over $10K, 'not wasted' as I just didn't need the newer <whatever>... until I did, usually skipping at least 2-3 years worth of models in between.

But hey - it's your $, and everyone has the right to spend it on whatever they want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Last year we got action mode and other years it’s been better quality video or portrait mode what do you think this years selling point will be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.