Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
As a person who loves Caudabe cases but did not move up to the iPhone 15, how did Caudabe handle that mishap?

I take it they recalled and replaced those cases for their customers, correct?
Did they do a recall? I just got a discount code for a free button version. Didn’t have to return anything. Really easy process and I thought it was generous on their part because the cutout version was perfectly fine. Turns out, I don’t even use my action button. 😂

Reactions: walds11

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Andar are ready it seems…

c6ce663cf275e57b57900dee4f86f6ee.jpg
Looks like a cutout on the side?

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Do you guys really care that much about the capture button though? I treat my phone like a point and shoot camera. I don’t need another button to operate it. Seems like such a weird feature.
:(

Last edited:

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Do you guys really care that much about the capture button though? I treat my phone like a point and shoot camera. I don’t need another button to operate it. Seems like such a weird feature.
I can see the sliding focus functionality being quite useful for video. Also, the light press for focus + exposure lock could be very nice for portraits and macro photography. So yeah, theoretically it could be useful for someone like me who comes from a photography background but has evolved to using their phone as their primary camera.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I reckon the capture button will be useful to zoom in and out and light press for focus before taking the snap.

At the moment, you need to tap the screen to focus or swipe the screen for different zooms

Reactions: Zensō and r3tr0

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Half press to focus makes a massive difference to anyone who’s used a proper digital camera, especially if it locks focus allowing you to recompose etc…

Sony flagship phones have had it for years and it’s a great addition to those who use their phone cameras for more than just snapshots.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
re the capture button: i have had several sony xperia phones and they have a similar button in the same place. i have found the button real useful and in the perfect place for both portrait and landscape photos. i’m looking forward to this.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Half press to focus makes a massive difference to anyone who’s used a proper digital camera, especially if it locks focus allowing you to recompose etc…

Sony flagship phones have had it for years and it’s a great addition to those who use their phone cameras for more than just snapshots.
But you can accomplish the same thing just by tapping on the screen. I don't see how the capture button improves the experience.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Ryan London have their 16 Pro series cases available to order…

Reactions: ryansebiz

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
But you can accomplish the same thing just by tapping on the screen. I don't see how the capture button improves the experience.
Because you've never used a real digital camera I expect that's why...

This feature opens up snap focus/zone focus, zoom by touch/force etc.

Touching the screen means your composition changes - focus and exposure can change as well.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
The cut outs for the capture button look massive! I’ll be looking for a case that covers the button.

I wasn’t really impressed with any cases last year for the 15 PM. And ended up sticking with the spigen I bought to use till the Caudabe and dbrand cases I’d ordered arrived. But had a nightmare with both caudabe and dbrand then just never found a case I liked as much as the spigen.

Going to be looking at smartish and moft as their cases looked great for the 15 series. I just never got around to ordering them.

I should also be getting the 2.0 version of the dbrand ghost case at some point but won’t be holding my breath for that one.

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
DOGGY10 for 10%.

Cant tell from the photos, does someone know, do they have button for camera or is it cut?
It's disappointingly a cutout.

I love my Ryan London 14 Pro case, but I'm passing on cases with cutouts.

Hopefully Apple makes a new vegan leather case with a cover for the capture button.

iphone-16-pro-full-grain--black-leather-magsafe-metal-buttons-camera-case-bottom_2048x.jpg

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
It's disappointingly a cutout.

I love my Ryan London 14 Pro case, but I'm passing on cases with cutouts.

Hopefully Apple makes a new vegan leather case with a cover for the capture button.

View attachment 2414050

You’re not going to find many leather cases that cover the capacitive capture button, plastic and silicone cases can achieve it quite easily and the colour difference between case and button isn’t as different in material, but it will be interesting to see if any leather cases overcome the issue with anything other than a cut-out IMO.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
You’re not going to find many leather cases that cover the capacitive capture button, plastic and silicone cases can achieve it quite easily and the colour difference between case and button isn’t as different in material, but it will be interesting to see if any leather cases overcome the issue with anything other than a cut-out IMO.
Agreed. I suspect that if we see any leather cases with a covered Capture button they will be of the type with TPU edges and a leather back.

Reactions: RRC

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
The cut outs for the capture button look massive! I’ll be looking for a case that covers the button.

I wasn’t really impressed with any cases last year for the 15 PM. And ended up sticking with the spigen I bought to use till the Caudabe and dbrand cases I’d ordered arrived. But had a nightmare with both caudabe and dbrand then just never found a case I liked as much as the spigen.

Going to be looking at smartish and moft as their cases looked great for the 15 series. I just never got around to ordering them.

I should also be getting the 2.0 version of the dbrand ghost case at some point but won’t be holding my breath for that one.

I'm reserving judgment until I get my phone. I don't trust case companies to get a button right for a capacitive touch button if they don't even have the real phone to test it on.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2023
It's just a button who cares lol people scared of a scratch or something?
If it's touch sensitive for focus may not work properly with a covered button anyway.

Reactions: 3Rock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.