Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Well I installed my Ice Max from AliExpress last night and it has major adherence issues. I'm going to get a replacement and hope for the best. Good news is that otherwise the fit is great and it works with the Apple Leather case.
6425601b8f6ab085ff96126dafdd6585.jpg
9afd2cd00569dc9a9b40a97ef6bc9565.jpg
9f216254c6a59345a0049d1c90223857.jpg

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Well I installed my Ice Max from AliExpress last night and it has major adherence issues. I'm going to get a replacement and hope for the best. Good news is that otherwise the fit is great and it works with the Apple Leather case.
I've never seen bubbles that large on an Ice Max that couldn't be massaged out. I know you have experience installing glass protectors, but you pressed the adhesion to begin at the insides and work out? Did you try massaging the bubbles out? Are the photos from last night or this morning?

Dkrcubsfan

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2016
Very interested in the Ice Max but a little confused with all these different versions. The packaging seems to be different Amazon to AliExpress and V1 vs V2.
Is the IceMax the same as Knight version on Amazon?

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina

Haven't tried that brand but one of your bubbles in the left side looks like it may have lint/dust in it. Maybe use removal tape? Have you tried re-applying? Was there a tool included to massage the bubbles out? Maybe try a different method, top to bottom/vice versa if starting in the middle didn't work..

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
I've never seen bubbles that large on an Ice Max that couldn't be massaged out. I know you have experience installing glass protectors, but you pressed the adhesion to begin at the insides and work out? Did you try massaging the bubbles out? Are the photos from last night or this morning?
Haven't tried that brand but one of your bubbles in the left side looks like it may have lint/dust in it. Maybe use removal tape? Have you tried re-applying? Was there a tool included to massage the bubbles out? Maybe try a different method, top to bottom/vice versa if starting in the middle didn't work..
Yes, I have plenty of experience installing these but these bubbles will not work out. There probably is some speck under one because I took it completely off after the install because I wasn't happy with it. I tried putting my Tech Armor glass back on but it had gotten multiple particles on it while it was exposed. I wound up just putting the Ice Max back on until I can get a replacement. The bubbles were the same on the first and subsequent installation. These pictures are about 8 hours after installation.

Reactions: willmtaylor

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Yes, I have plenty of experience installing these but these bubbles will not work out. There probably is some speck under one because I took it completely off after the install because I wasn't happy with it. I tried putting my Tech Armor glass back on but it had gotten multiple particles on it while it was exposed. I wound up just putting the Ice Max back on until I can get a replacement. The bubbles were the same on the first and subsequent installation. These pictures are about 8 hours after installation.

Not doubting your skills, but this particular screen protector is a royal P.I.T.A to install. The same thing happened when I had the Ice Max on my 6S. Major bubbles. Don't give up trying to work the bubbles out. They will eventually go away. Any luck after re-applying it after the Tech Armor removal?

limnancy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
I have bought one from Amazon. It's best to have a screen protector on. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Not doubting your skills, but this particular screen protector is a royal P.I.T.A to install. The same thing happened when I had the Ice Max on my 6S. Major bubbles. Don't give up trying to work the bubbles out. They will eventually go away. Any luck after re-applying it after the Tech Armor removal?
Yes, I installed the Ice Max on both my and my wife's 6s with no issues. I'm pretty sure these bubbles are here to stay. You can tell by the way they react when pressing on them. I'll update if they start to dissipate, but I'm not hopeful about it.

On a side note, I can definitely notice a weight increase going from the Tech Armor to the Ice Max.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
thanks for your help that did not cross my mind..

oh actually I cant find review on version 2...
Here are pics of it uninstalled: #921
Here are pics of it unsuccessfully installed: #1027
[doublepost=1477500187][/doublepost]
Godosmith is sending me the updated version. I'm going to hold off on installing the Orzly until I see how the update from Godosmith looks.

My "fixed" Ice Max 3D gets here today, I'll post pictures if I can.

Hopefully V2 that I ordered yesterday will be a lot better according to @crazymeeshu from #921

Any updates on the GDSmith / G.D. Smith / Godosmith version 2 (V2) arriving or pics of installation?
[doublepost=1477503039][/doublepost]
----------​

@Poob Bubes , does the GDSmith V2 have adhesive around the top cutouts/sensors (see the lack thereof in the 2nd pic here #969) and is there a gap at the bottom between the home button and the bottom edge (like in the 2nd pic here #999)? I'm wanting to know if our phones will look like this (#994) when/if we take of the GDSmith V2

Last edited:

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
I prefer non-E2E screen protectors and I can't seem to find one where the sides does not lift/halo.

I tried many local third party glass screen protectors with no luck, ordered this Brotect plastic screen protector from schutzfolien24.de/ from the other end of the earth and still NO luck.

My country's Apple store doesn't stock the Belkin glass screen protector yet. Help.

photo25-10-16rqswk.jpeg

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I prefer non-E2E screen protectors and I can't seem to find one where the sides does not lift/halo.

I tried many local third party glass screen protectors with no luck, ordered this Brotect plastic screen protector from schutzfolien24.de/ from the other end of the earth and still NO luck.

My country's Apple store doesn't stock the Belkin glass screen protector yet. Help.

photo25-10-16rqswk.jpeg
Try the TechArmor Accessory Glass: https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Tech-Armor-Accessory-Corning/dp/B01J4KP46Q/

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
@Poob Bubes , does the GDSmith V2 have adhesive around the top cutouts/sensors (see the lack thereof in the 2nd pic here #969) and is there a gap at the bottom between the home button and the bottom edge (like in the 2nd pic here #999)? I'm wanting to know if our phones will look like this (#994) when/if we take of the GDSmith V2

The adhesive is exactly like what is pictured.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Ugh, seriously?! Even around the top sensors and speaker cutout?

Is there not 1 E2E protector that can do better?
Do you happen to know if the 6/6s Icemax had adhesive all around? I never had to remove mine after installation so who knows what it looks like under there now.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Do you happen to know if the 6/6s Icemax had adhesive all around? I never had to remove mine after installation so who knows what it looks like under there now.
Good question. I actually don't, but I don't recall seeing so many complaints/photos of dirt and grime after removal either.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Good question. I actually don't, but I don't recall seeing so many complaints/photos of dirt and grime after removal either.
I had to replace my ice max 3D on my 6s plus once cos I cracked it and can confirm that it also had dust and grime around the home button and speaker
Ah ok, so maybe one with adhesive all around doesn't exist. Oh well, that's at the bottom of my wishlist under fit and oleophobic coating.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So are we in agreement that the Ice Max (version 2) is superior to the Orzly and currently our best choice?

I currently have an Orzly on my device that I have been given a refund for, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking the Orzly off to buy and install the new Ice Max.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
So are we in agreement that the Ice Max (version 2) is superior to the Orzly and currently our best choice?

I currently have an Orzly on my device that I have been given a refund for, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking the Orzly off to buy and install the new Ice Max.

I also have the Orzly, havent installed it yet, and my Ice Max V2 is coming, currently processing in SHENZHEN EMS, CHINA. I'm thinking I wont get it till probably mid-November.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.