Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
@awmstone :

Currently my favorite just like you is the D&P, mainly for its coating. I want to try a different one next and was considering Tech Armour. How's the oleo coating vs D&P and also are the home button edges rounded? I'm OCD about that. :)

Thanks

@Zerog46 and @MajicSho :

Basically the same questions on the Peel. Is the coating as good as other sp you have used, and is the button cutout rounded or sharp?

Thanks

That SecondSkin seems interesting. Any reviews on it?

I bought it and its exactly the same as Orzly but more expensive. Looks good and the black part of the protector appears more shinny and uniform than D&P, but the button edges are sharp and oleo coating feels rough like touching a non coated glass. Also it's a fingerprint magnet.

Has anyone tried the aM film 3D? I used their Nintendo Switch protector and love it. Curios if the iphone version is as good.

Thanks for the info on secondskin. I don't like the Orzly's Oleophobic coating at all.

Also interested in the am film one. But the only reviews are amazon's which I don't trust very much.

I'm curios about Tech Armor's warranty. Some people on Amazon said they have lifetime replacement warranty for cracked protectors like Zagg, but the description only says lifetime warranty without specifying what it covers.

Last edited:

awmstone

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2015
Redondo Beach, CA
Yes, ordered from Amazon and it is a 7+... I'm loving this setup as it is very minimalistic and OEM looking. Just worry about the exposed bottom edge with the silicone case.
So I have to admit - I removed a super scratched up D&P (my current fave protector) with one of the Manto ones - just to try it out. And it's NICE. It's lighter than the D&P (weght-wise). And it feels like yes, there may be a tiny exposed edge against the case, but I'm willing to give it a shot - at least through the weekend. It's a nice screen protector. A hair taller would be my only gripe right now!

n1smo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Looks nice! Do the black borders block any of the screen? The GD Smith and Daswise ones I've tried cover up a few pixels around the four sides and make certain elements like page loading bars and scroll bars hard to see
I haven't noticed the protector covering pixels on the corners.
f6a8dc7ab5ce808f6fa49be08842d54b.jpg

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Alright guys I need help. Looking for a edge to edge black screen protector for iPhone 7 where the front is MATTE black. The brand (Mothca) I've been buying from no longer sells them.

Does anyone know another brand???

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
So I have to admit - I removed a super scratched up D&P (my current fave protector) with one of the Manto ones - just to try it out. And it's NICE. It's lighter than the D&P (weght-wise). And it feels like yes, there may be a tiny exposed edge against the case, but I'm willing to give it a shot - at least through the weekend. It's a nice screen protector. A hair taller would be my only gripe right now!

Did you keep the Manto or went back to D&P?

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
@charlesdayton right now I'm actually still using the Manto! It collects a bit of dust at the edges if it's in a linty pocket, but it wipes off. And the quality is good. Dropped it right on the screen this morning on the cement (!!!!) and no scratches or cracks. Just a mild heart attack. :rolleyes:

Thanks. And thanks for the unexpected drop test!

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Does anyone know of a tempered edge to edge screen protector that is 100% clear? e.g., none of the "black" or "white" strips at the top and bottom? Any brand have better than average ratings?

Thanks!

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Does anyone know of a tempered edge to edge screen protector that is 100% clear? e.g., none of the "black" or "white" strips at the top and bottom? Any brand have better than average ratings?

Thanks!

To be honest, I was curious to see that too. If I'm correct, there is on but I can't remember the name of it. But why do you want it? If it has the black frame it looks a lot more like you don't have anything.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
To be honest, I was curious to see that too. If I'm correct, there is on but I can't remember the name of it. But why do you want it? If it has the black frame it looks a lot more like you don't have anything.

I have a red phone with the white face, but I've seen them in person, and personally I just prefer the clear ones. Both look good, it's just my thing. :)

I know I've seen the brand mentioned as well, and searched a few times, but then realized asking again might also aid someone else looking.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Why do glass screen protectors even have a black or white boarder? Why not just keep it clear so the black or white iPhone boarder can be seen?

But do the latest versions of the iPhone even need a screen protector anymore? Because even though glass screen protectors are advertised as being able to withstand things like a blow from a hammer, if that was done to your phone its screen could still get damaged from the shock of the impact. Yeah, I know the point of the glass screen protector is to absorb that impact, but it can't absorb all of it.

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Good luck guys and don't want to hate but there are already too many iPhone protectors and almost all of them look the same and do the same job. Also, I don't quite believe your product was originally 30 euros since it's the same as $5 one from Ali express for e.g. (not to mention the $10 for shipping)

Also, it would be better if you do a video on real testing on the glass, since you claim it's different that the rest

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Why do glass screen protectors even have a black or white boarder? Why not just keep it clear so the black or white iPhone boarder can be seen?

But do the latest versions of the iPhone even need a screen protector anymore? Because even though glass screen protectors are advertised as being able to withstand things like a blow from a hammer, if that was done to your phone its screen could still get damaged from the shock of the impact. Yeah, I know the point of the glass screen protector is to absorb that impact, but it can't absorb all of it.

This must be due to the adhesive. All the "3d" protectors only have adhesive on the flat part only. The curved borders don't even touch the screen. If they make them all clear the parts without adhesive will look different.

The tiny scratch on my iPhone 7 says yes :). only used it w/o a protector once and got a microscratch. The glass is tough but the oleophobic coating can still scratch. Also it only takes something like sand to get the actual glass scratched.
And regarding impact absorption, some is better than none. All these 3d glass protector have a plastic film inside holding the adhesive which adds to the impact absorption.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
This must be due to the adhesive. All the "3d" protectors only have adhesive on the flat part only. The curved borders don't even touch the screen. If they make them all clear the parts without adhesive will look different.

I don't understand this answer because they could have just as easily then made a thin black or white border on that curved edge.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Any other favorites out there besides D&P? I've finally decided to replace the one I had (can't even remember the brand anymore) with one that has better oleophobic coating, but so far, I'm 0 for 3 with the D&Ps. Each one has some sort of bubble(s) in the adhesive part underneath the screen. There is no way to remove them or apply it without them being seen.

Edit: I think I'm gonna go with the Manto. Should not have any issues with fit with my Rhinoshield Playproof. Hope Amazon doesn't ding me for requesting to return 3 D&Ps :rolleyes:

Last edited:

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
I ordered a manto, it’s sitting at home waiting for my zagg to get scratched them I’m putting it on. Guess what happened today, zagg got a nice scratch across it!

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Any other favorites out there besides D&P? I've finally decided to replace the one I had (can't even remember the brand anymore) with one that has better oleophobic coating, but so far, I'm 0 for 3 with the D&Ps. Each one has some sort of bubble(s) in the adhesive part underneath the screen. There is no way to remove them or apply it without them being seen.

Edit: I think I'm gonna go with the Manto. Should not have any issues with fit with my Rhinoshield Playproof. Hope Amazon doesn't ding me for requesting to return 3 D&Ps :rolleyes:

I'm using a Switcheasy. Seems exactly like the D&P but no adhesive issues. Fits well with my Playyproof. I also will try a Manto for my Spigen Case.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Has anyone here tried a wet install film like BSE?

I have used them on smaller non-touch screen like Fitbit Alta, but never on the iphone.
These will provide a true edge to edge, but I'm concerned about the touch feeling and orange peel look.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Has anyone here tried a wet install film like BSE?

I have used them on smaller non-touch screen like Fitbit Alta, but never on the iphone.
These will provide a true edge to edge, but I'm concerned about the touch feeling and orange peel look.
Wet film on the glass touch screen makes me nervous. No thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.