Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
hi guys,
what do you think on the otterbox alpha glass.
is it worth the high price?
https://cellexpress.co.il/cat-Lifet...terbox/Otterbox-Alpha-Glass-iphone-7-warranty

IMO no. I had one and it was basically the same as all the lower priced ones I've tried. The only high priced one I've tried that I think is worth it is the zagg lux. I wasn't a fan of the plastic borders at first but have grown to really liked it. The edges will never chip and the screen had the smoothest surface of any I've tried.

Also, a replacement costs just the price of shipping. Mine got a scratch done the center so for $5 I'm getting a brand new one.

Last edited:

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Anyone use the GDSmith 3D e2e protector from amazon? It noticeably decreased by touchscreen sensitivity. The top 1/3 of my screen was drastically less to the point where touches weren't even registering. Possibly the adhesive wasn't adhering properly? I noticed no gaps or bubbles so I'm not sure. Hesitant to try another. Any recommendations in the $15-20 price range?

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Have quite a few scratches on my zagg hd glass after a month or so of use. I'm gonna take it off and try something else, but should I order a replacement hd glass from zagg or upgrade it to the glass luxe?

I just got the glass plus privacy for my 7 plus and wonder how it will be? I had a generic privacy one that was HORRIBLE cause had to keep my screen brightness on high and couldnt see anything during sunlight, hope the Zagg isnt like that.

What are the real differences between all their models?
Is there a big difference between these major brands like Zagg, Tech21, BodyGuardz, and all these name brand ones?

IMO the zagg LUX model beats the others because the edges are plastic and won't chip. Plus unlimited replacements for a small shipping fee.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
IMO the zagg LUX model beats the others because the edges are plastic and won't chip. Plus unlimited replacements for a small shipping fee.

Better than the Saphire Defense? I'm sick of the Saphire Defense, it gets scratches to easily, so I'm looking at other Zaggs since I can use the warranty to exchange it.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
After using over a dozen the zagg lux is by far my absolute favorite. I never thought I'd say that because I always felt zagg was overpriced but it's been a quality product. I carry my phone in my front pocket or my jacket pocket and after months of use it has a few scratched in the center of the screen from being dropped on a sidewalk, I think it got a little gouged from some small rocks.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Haven't used a screen protector on my 6 Plus, 6S Plus or 7 Plus but the 7 Plus recents got some random and noticeable scratches/scuffs in the glass possibly from having my girlfriends phone in my pocket at the same time.

Was trying to decide on what SP to buy but at the same time I bought a product red 7 Plus to replace the scuffed up black one. Bought some cases including a K11 bumper in red but decided to just stick it out with the black phone until the next iPhone comes out in a few months. Reached out to Thanotech to cancel the pre-order and they offered me a free E2E SP to not cancel. Asked if they could switch me to a black K11 and they said yes and changed my order to include the free SP.

Looking forward to using it and I hope the rest of my cases are compatible with it!

biscuit0819

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I've had 2 for my 7: The Zagg Luxe and now the SecondSkin One (from the recommendations of a couple of peeps here). Both are excellent though the Skin is slightly thinner. One issue I have with the cheaper ones is the oleophobic coating can be lacking which is annoying when you see it lying on your desk and the screen is fingerprint central.

Reactions: willmtaylor

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Still looking for the best e2e. Is there any consensus yet?

My dream list would be: full glue, thin edges, all glass.

So far tried the following from Amazon:

Akwox: ABS/glass combo. They are super thin, but the glass/plastic separation is very noticiable, also not full glue, dust enters the home button. Also the plastic scratches by just looking at it.

D&P: Much better looking than the Akwox, all glass. better feeling oleophobic coat. But the edges are thick, still fits my Presidio but is a tight fit. Also no full glue as Akworx. I noticed some defects in the glue like rows, but in the black area not affecting the screen.Akwox had much uniform glue.

Plan to try Imos (still looking for a place to get them in the US, Also I heard they are thick)
Glass Luxe (reluctant about the plastic/glass combo being too noticeable)
G.D. Smith (From the reviews may be the same as D&P. Wondering if they are any thinner or the glue is better)
Peel (Maybe will try it, as some people say it has thinner edges, but some say the edges/home hole are rough.)

Any suggestion is more than welcome!

Last edited:

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
I have been reading most of this thread. Quite long an lots of good info.

Right now I'm undecided between the Secondskin and Luxe.
For the ones that have used them, do you know if they have the full all around adhesive most e2e protectors lack? Also is the Secondskin as thin as the Luxe or just average?

Was also thinking about the Imos, but find it too expensive for a what amounts to a sacrificial layer that will eventually need replacement.

-Becky

n1smo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
From my experience, the TOZO screen protector is junk. The hybrid plastic bezel and glass protector is ugly as heck. If that's your thing, then you'll be pleased. The plastic bezel is prone to scratches. Only had it on for 3 days and the edges were all ready scuffed up from going in and out of my pocket.

a61cb2f2e320a894a39b123684bf771a.jpg

b0ae52ddc0918238a765d8a5d477d186.jpg

3d86d8a296d20312d2ac2edbe3dd41ba.jpg

30ce58b1b7c884ae00851b91f4bb1970.jpg

Last edited:

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
They both work fine. Also UAG cases and Apple leather and silicone.

As far as I know. No visible dust anywhere.
Yes and no. Also very satisfied with eleophobic coating.

Thanks Zerog and Will. I will definitely try this protector.

I have been reading most of this thread. Quite long an lots of good info.

Right now I'm undecided between the Secondskin and Luxe.
For the ones that have used them, do you know if they have the full all around adhesive most e2e protectors lack? Also is the Secondskin as thin as the Luxe or just average?

Was also thinking about the Imos, but find it too expensive for a what amounts to a sacrificial layer that will eventually need replacement.

-Becky

That SecondSkin seems interesting. Any reviews on it?

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
From my experience, the TOZO screen protector is junk. The hybrid plastic bezel and glass protector is ugly as heck. If that's your thing, then you'll be pleased. The plastic bezel is prone to scratches. Only had it on for 3 days and the edges were all ready scuffed up from going in and out of my pocket.

a61cb2f2e320a894a39b123684bf771a.jpg

b0ae52ddc0918238a765d8a5d477d186.jpg

3d86d8a296d20312d2ac2edbe3dd41ba.jpg

30ce58b1b7c884ae00851b91f4bb1970.jpg

...have to 100% agree with you - I also got the Tozo screen protectors from Amazon, and they are truly JUNK. I mean - the plastic top and bottom sections - what the hell were they thinking when they decided to use these?!? I didn't even bother installing them on my iPhone 7, they looked so bad.........

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
...have to 100% agree with you - I also got the Tozo screen protectors from Amazon, and they are truly JUNK. I mean - the plastic top and bottom sections - what the hell were they thinking when they decided to use these?!? I didn't even bother installing them on my iPhone 7, they looked so bad.........

From the pics they appear to be the same as the crappy Akwox from Amazon. Also the Goodsmith on Amazon say they have a plastic border.

Reactions: Dino F

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Anyone use the GDSmith 3D e2e protector from amazon?
No problems here but I have received some in the past that were no good (i.e. poor adhesive) that I had to return but the replacements for those have been good.

G.D. Smith (From the reviews may be the same as D&P. Wondering if they are any thinner or the glue is better)
Hit and miss (mostly hit) in my experience with the adhesive. Thankfully, returns/replacements with Amazon are easy.

Reactions: charlesdayton

n1smo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
I have the G.D.Smith on my 7+ now and is pretty satisfied over all. It is definitely not as well formed around the edges as the G.D.Smith on my wife's 6s but is still 100% better than the TOZO POS. I ripped that ugly thing off as soon as the G.D.Smith arrived.

08fcb835240b651abe7f267a6e1b9148.jpg

bd4273dadfb63a565843204ee73a4978.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.