Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I bought a couple of generic 'full body' tempered glass protectors for my iPhone 7, from Amazon, namely, these ones:

1. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LK1H564/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KJIWCOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JBUAZ04/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can tell you that all 3 were garbage!!!! I don't believe that there is such a thing as a decent tempered glass protector for the iPhone 7 which is "full body".

I tried all 3 of the above protectors - one looked very poor quality straight from taking it out from the packaging, the top and bottom parts, which cover the phone's black glass surround (around the Home button and the ear piece) was made from flimsy plastic and was a matt black texture and felt HORRIBLE!!

The second one, fitted the phone but just had too many bubbles around the screen area (looked just like the one in post #1697) and no matter what I did, couldn't get rid of them.

And the third one, fitted the phone ok and even looked quite nice (no air bubbles or anything), but as soon as I put on my case - the Spigen Liquid Air Case ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MT1G4E6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ), which is one of THE slimmest cases around with minimal side protection, as soon as I touched the sides of the case, it would lift the screen protector, as the edges of the tempered glass were touching the edges of the case. So, in the end, I ditched all 3 and just stuck with a standard Anker tempered glass - which is perfect!!!

:p:p:D

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Have had the Thanotec e2e on for 2 weeks now, fits perfect with all my cases even the spigen neo hybrid. its not 3d so the sides hang off a bit but its super thin so it isnt that noticeable, havent had any dust enter into the camera or sensor windows thru under the screen protector so i think this is my new favorite!

Reactions: willmtaylor

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
I decided to go back to Apple and get the Belkin ultra glass fitted again since all the other screen protectors I tried had bubbling at the sides. I'm now a lot happier with the Belkin one. Worth the expense and apple fits it perfectly.

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Have had the Thanotec e2e on for 2 weeks now, fits perfect with all my cases even the spigen neo hybrid. its not 3d so the sides hang off a bit but its super thin so it isnt that noticeable, havent had any dust enter into the camera or sensor windows thru under the screen protector so i think this is my new favorite!

By any chance did you try it out with a speck presidio grip? Did it work without any problems? Thanks.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Any scratching? While my other glass protectors haven't scratched, I already have several on my ThanoTech.

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
I'm like 0 for 4 on my last few protector installs. None will stick around the edges, even though I've used others of that brand before without issue. Now I'm not using a protector and thinking about keeping it that way. I have one more on the way(pictured below) and have an email in to zagg trying to figure out why the previous one fit perfectly and this one didn't fit at all.

Really frustrated.
f1502482f2c9dfbee3aa44e217e26d0e.png

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
about three weeks ago I got the Belkin SC+ InvisiGlass Ultra at the Apple store- today I tossed my phone onto my gym bag and my belt buckle slipped down and tapped the screen on my phone and bam it shattered the screen protector - I went out to the Apple store and they installed a new one but I had to pay full price for a new one - I wish they would have covered the $43+ charge but, hey its a screen protector! - they looked up my receipt and said it was a few days out from the return policy - I can install the screen protectors myself and have done so for years however the Belkin system they use at the apple store is beyond anything I can do myself - the machine that aligns the screen protector and the adhesive tape that removes all the dust makes it all worth the expense - I hope I have a little better luck with this new one !

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
about three weeks ago I got the Belkin SC+ InvisiGlass Ultra at the Apple store- today I tossed my phone onto my gym bag and my belt buckle slipped down and tapped the screen on my phone and bam it shattered the screen protector - I went out to the Apple store and they installed a new one but I had to pay full price for a new one - I wish they would have covered the $43+ charge but, hey its a screen protector! - they looked up my receipt and said it was a few days out from the return policy - I can install the screen protectors myself and have done so for years however the Belkin system they use at the apple store is beyond anything I can do myself - the machine that aligns the screen protector and the adhesive tape that removes all the dust makes it all worth the expense - I hope I have a little better luck with this new one !
$40 sure is a lot cheaper than a phone screen

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Why did you expect Apple to replace it for free?

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
Zagg will replace their screen protectors as many times as they break. All you have to do is pay for a small shipping charge. They just ask that you return the old broken one to them, and they give you a prepaid evelope to do that.

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
Zagg will replace their screen protectors as many times as they break. All you have to do is pay for a small shipping charge. They just ask that you return the old broken one to them, and they give you a prepaid evelope to do that.

They are sending me one free of charge because of it not sticking to the edges.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
ThanoTech & amFilm by TechMatte do the same.

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
Hi all,

I read some of the pages of this thread but not all of them :) I got a cheap generic glass screen protector. I doesn't stick around the edges and frankly looks horrible like that.

View attachment 696534

The seller responds by saying this is unavoidable:
"unfortunately because the screen of the iPhone 7 is rounded at the edges this issue is unavoidable, it is called the "halo effect" and affects many smartphones including the Note 4, iPhone 6, S6 and S7, the only way to avoid it is to make the glass smaller but then the screen isn't covered properly. This problem affects all screen protectors for the iPhone 7, even the expensive brands but the glass will not fall off and will still protect your screen in case of a drop or knock."

My question to you professionals: are there (non E2E) glass screen protectors that don't suffer from this?

I saw Anker has one that is a bit smaller but that could be leading to a rainbow effect (light shining through). Also the TechMatte’s amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector seems promising, has anyone tried that one before?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, you will have to buy all the cheap screen protectors like buying a lottery, because all the iPhone's curve is different. Mine, yours and hundred other iPhone users are different. I've had over EIGHT iPhone 7 replacements(guess why), each with the iPhone's screen curve varies differently, some more than the others, creating that halo effect with NON E2E screen protectors.

However, I believe the Belkin ones apple sells should guarantee no halo as they are deliberate cut smaller than the screen, but they are sheet expensive.

Reactions: danny8200

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Is there a 3D protector that has full glue?

D&P and others I've tried leave the borders and around the home button without glue, leading to dust.

I'm planning to try the Zagg Luxe

bloodyredd

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
I asked a tech store online if they are selling a zagg glass+luxe for the iphone7 and they said that they have it but it is branded as Zagg Glass Contour. I showed them a picture and said it looks the same as the luxe. Is it the same?

slingshott

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2017
I bought the SecondSkin ONE too. I had a Tech Armor for the majority of the time on my 6 and I really think this is better. What always frustrated me with the full screen ones is that the home button would end up way below screen level but that isn't an issue with this. Hopefully it will do the job when my 7's inevitably dropped face first at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.