Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
A bit surprisingly, but in a good way, I've had a lot of people asking about the SP because of that matte textured look/feel. It's just something unique I guess. As you said, it doesn't take long to get used to it.

The one part that took some getting used to was the textured feel of the top and bottom edges that you can feel when swiping up for control center or down for notifications. However, it took me about a day to get used to it and now I don't even think about it. Very happy with this protector, overall.

https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/invis...reen-protector/glass-plus-luxe-apple-iphone-7

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Well, if you've got the super sensitive sensor like mine does, the only choice for an E2E is the Zagg+ Luxe.

It's been a few months since the iPhone 7 was released, so is there a general consensus as to what the best overall screen protector is?

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
I just installed the Sparin edge to edge. Fits perfectly with my magpul case. But I'm not 100% satisfied with the oleophobic coating on it. Feels a little stickier than my previous protector. Think I'll give it a shot for a few days and then decide if I want to keep it on or try something different.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
Immediately after purchasing my iPhone 7 a few days ago, I stopped by the ZAGG kiosk to look at their options. The guy sold me on the Glass+ Luxe protector. At the time, they only had the version with the "titanium" bezels available, which I wasn't a big fan of. However, he told me that he'd replace it for the one with the black bezels free of charge, as soon as they got them in later in the week. So I went with what he had rather than going protection free.

It was impressive to watch him meticulously install it 100% perfectly, without a single imperfection. God knows I would have screwed the install up somehow.

As a few days passed, the titanium color really grew on me and happens to match my Space Gray 2016 MBP perfectly. So I ended up just keeping it on. Overall, I really like this protector. The textured edges took me about a day to get used to but now I don't even notice it when swiping up for control center or down for notifications.

I have the protector paired with the "The Sheath" case from Caudabe and I really love the combination.

https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/glass-plus-luxe-apple-iphone-7

https://www.caudabe.com/products/the-sheath-iphone-7?variant=22644532932

32742756333_4acbdcf8b0_c.jpg

33557061895_419b7121e7_c.jpg

32742756873_0883520f88_c.jpg

32742757123_e58a18bce8_c.jpg

33557062215_082818b0ef_c.jpg

Reactions: danny8200

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I could be wrong here, but from your photos, and the photos on the Zagg site, it appears you may have the Glass Luxe for iPhone 6/6s, and not the Glass+ Luxe for iPhone 7.

Immediately after purchasing my iPhone 7 a few days ago, I stopped by the ZAGG kiosk to look at their options. The guy sold me on the Glass+ Luxe protector. At the time, they only had the version with the "titanium" bezels available, which I wasn't a big fan of. However, he told me that he'd replace it for the one with the black bezels free of charge, as soon as they got them in later in the week. So I went with what he had rather than going protection free.

It was impressive to watch him meticulously install it 100% perfectly, without a single imperfection. God knows I would have screwed the install up somehow.

As a few days passed, the titanium color really grew on me and happens to match my Space Gray 2016 MBP perfectly. So I ended up just keeping it on. Overall, I really like this protector. The textured edges took me about a day to get used to but now I don't even notice it when swiping up for control center or down for notifications.

I have the protector paired with the "The Sheath" case from Caudabe and I really love the combination.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
I could be wrong here, but from your photos, and the photos on the Zagg site, it appears you may have the Glass Luxe for iPhone 6/6s, and not the Glass+ Luxe for iPhone 7.

Interesting. Nice catch. I just compared the photos and it looks like you're right. Now I'm curious what that third sensor is for. I haven't noticed any issues. The screen wakes when lifted every time, turns off when I move the phone towards my ear while on a call and facetime videos work no problem.

EDIT: Figured it out. The third sensor is the light sensor for adjusting display auto-brightness. I always disable auto-brightness, the second I set them up, which is why it hasn't been an issue.

As soon as I turned auto-brightness back on it just goes down to 0%, since that sensor is covered by the protector.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
If it's an issue, complain at the kiosk. They sold you something other than what they said.

Interesting. Nice catch. I just compared the photos and it looks like you're right. Now I'm curious what that third sensor is for. I haven't noticed any issues. The screen wakes when lifted every time, turns off when I move the phone towards my ear while on a call and facetime videos work no problem.

EDIT: Figured it out. The third sensor is the light sensor for adjusting display auto-brightness. I always disable auto-brightness, the second I set them up, which is why it hasn't been an issue.

As soon as I turned auto-brightness back on it just goes down to 0%, since that sensor is covered by the protector.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
If it's an issue, complain at the kiosk. They sold you something other than what they said.

While it's not technically an issue for me, since I don't use auto-brightness, I do want to have the proper protector for my phone. I called up the ZAGG kiosk and explained the issue. He apologized and said he'd replace it for the correct one at no cost. However, I decided to take this opportunity to switch to the black version of the Luxe protector, which he currently doesn't have in stock. He told me to give him a call later today to make sure they came in with their weekly shipment.

As soon as he gets the black version for the 7, I'll head up and swap it out.

awmstone

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2015
Redondo Beach, CA
I get it now... Interesting. Well...Like you said. Maybe for that price I'll try someone else. How odd.

Well, a little follow up from this. I ordered this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LEW...NG-Screen-Protector-Film-for/32793365988.html in Black & White for my iPhone 7. Keep in mind my favorite protector to date has been the D&P. So, the long and the short of it is that these are "nice" - certainly for the price! But I don't think they are really any different than anything else? I mean, the oleophobic coating is very good, and the adherence to the screen is great. But the way they shipped to me was HILARIOUS. And I can't tell much difference from the D&P. But I needed a change (the D&P were scraped up a bit - doing their job protecting my phone), so on these went. And they are FINE. But there's no need to go crazy for them? I'm not sure "4D" is any different than "3D."

IMG_1383.jpg
IMG_1383.jpg
IMG_1384.jpg
IMG_1385.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

This is the D&P that had been on for a while before I took it off:

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

This is ALWAYS with the Apple Leather Case on!
IMG_0373.jpg

And then here's the new "4D" - looks the same to me!

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I'm waiting for my "4D" screen protector to arrive too. Does it work with Apple silicone/leather cases?

Debel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017

32742756333_4acbdcf8b0_c.jpg

33557061895_419b7121e7_c.jpg

32742756873_0883520f88_c.jpg

32742757123_e58a18bce8_c.jpg

33557062215_082818b0ef_c.jpg

Damn. Wish ida got this one

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I installed the ThanoTech edge to edge glass this weekend to go along with my K11 bumper.

I previously had the Orzly 3D edge to edge glass, but the K11 pushed up the corners.

The ThanoTech glass seems nice. It installed easily, is a nice fit, and seems to be fairly smudge resistant. (FYI, I did NOT pay full retail price for the glass, so I'm still not comfortable saying it's worth $30 + shipping, but it is nice.

gimmeaipod

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
I installed a Daswise edge to edge today and would say it is almost exactly centered around the earpiece and home button.

However, I noticed that the left, right, and bottom sides are cut off by the black borders. I can barely see the scroll indicator on the right and the bottom text padding gets cut off on bottom tab bars.

Is this a common issue with other edge to edge screen protectors? I also considered the GD smith ones.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2 MB · Views: 284

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
I installed a Daswise edge to edge today and would say it is almost exactly centered around the earpiece and home button.

However, I noticed that the left, right, and bottom sides are cut off by the black borders. I can barely see the scroll indicator on the right and the bottom text padding gets cut off on bottom tab bars.

Is this a common issue with other edge to edge screen protectors? I also considered the GD smith ones.

Yes that's common with every e2e I've used so far. My guess is it's because the screen starts to curve from right around where it's covered to avoid showing a halo.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

It's not uncommon. Some show it more than others. I'm currently using the ThanoTech edge to edge (NON 3D) and it does NOT do this.

Reactions: gimmeaipod

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
The Zagg Glass+ Luxe is quite good in this regard. No noticeable clipping of edges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.