Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So i've had my 7 since launch day. I noticed while cleaning it today that there are several flecks on the anodized backing where it looks like the finish is flaking. See what you guys think

Reactions: Sakura1210

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
looks like dings or scratch marks that you can get on these surfaces. I had a few that developed over time on my 6/6S.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Possibly debris was inside the case and was rubbing against it? It looks minimal, but if it worsens, it could be cause for concern. The aluminum shouldn't flake. Although, Black will show more damage then the other colors.
well, it isn't a big deal to me i was just curious if it was widespread or just an issue i have

DaIfoneboss

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Debris in your case honestly most likely caused it... This black anodization on phones was never really exactly strong in the first place and grit/debris in your case built up over time can defitnetly do this.

I typically clean my phone and case once a week and it has been serving me well for a while now

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Anodized material doesn't rub off easily unless it's being rubbed off with something stronger such as grit. Pockets are known to have grit in them for some reason.

Ideally, you'll want to seek the opinions of owners who don't use a case with theirs and ask to see their phone backs. Provided I'm correct in my assessment, there shouldn't be any textural changes to the phone's back where skin meets metal.

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
Anodized finish will take damage and can get worn to the metal but that's just cosmetic.

Apple should move to carbon fiber chassis with different finishes like matte, glossy or raw

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Could be the aluminum oxidizing
It's all over my 6s ($850 phone)

Which will be replaced by Apple for free

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Looks like dings or coin marks. Keep your iPhone in a case ro see if it's really flaking

Stephen.Trae

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
As you guys can see from the title above, I noticed that my matte black iPhone 7 has speckles all over the back of it which is weird given the fact that I always have a case on it. Did or does anyone else have this same problem? I read few posts about the oxidation of the aluminium but I just think it's odd that it's happening so quickly I just received this on launch day. I contacted Apple but they told me it would be best to go to my carrier first so I'm going to Verizon tomorrow morning and I'll keep you guys posted.

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
As you guys can see from the title above, I noticed that my matte black iPhone 7 has speckles all over the back of it which is weird given the fact that I always have a case on it. Did or does anyone else have this same problem? I read few posts about the oxidation of the aluminium but I just think it's odd that it's happening so quickly I just received this on launch day. I contacted Apple but they told me it would be best to go to my carrier first so I'm going to Verizon tomorrow morning and I'll keep you guys posted.

I have my matte black iPhone 7 plus with me for the last 2 weeks and so far there is nothing like that you mentioned at its back. I guess your cover case is causing those speckles.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA

Pics?

Stephen.Trae

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
I have my matte black iPhone 7 plus with me for the last 2 weeks and so far there is nothing like that you mentioned at its back. I guess your cover case is causing those speckles.

My case has a soft like linen on the inside of it so I don't think that's it...
[doublepost=1480220672][/doublepost]
I'll try taking pictures of it once I get home.

Reactions: blaine07

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Perhaps the case you're using? I know you mentioned you will post pictures to another user, that might help for others to help assist you.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Last edited:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Last edited:

Stephen.Trae

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
i have the same issue. here's my thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-flaking.2015528/#post-23937031
[doublepost=1480228568][/doublepost]my phone is also launch day. maybe we just got a bad batch
Yes! That is exactly what I'm talking about! It's good to know that I'm not the only one but you're probably right about us getting a bad batch. If Verizon allows me to exchange it,I'm just going to ask for the Jet black. I'm pretty sure it won't have this issue.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Anyone else notice dark marks on their hand after using their black iP7 for a couple of hours? It washes off and there doesn't seem to be any discolouration on the phone.

IMG_0478.JPG

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
anyone else notice dark marks on their hand after using their black iP7 for a couple of hours? it washes off and there doesn't seem to be any discolouration on the phone.

View attachment 674898

the anodized surface does wear and I have seen dark marks on my damp white micro fiber cloth after wiping my 7S when removing it from the case. so I would guess the oils from your hands are picking up a little of your devices finish.

using caps is for the weak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will22 and Pez555
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.