Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Yes! That is exactly what I'm talking about! It's good to know that I'm not the only one but you're probably right about us getting a bad batch. If Verizon allows me to exchange it,I'm just going to ask for the Jet black. I'm pretty sure it won't have this issue.
I'm not really worried about it. If i ever want to sell it, i have AC plus so i'll just exchange it there. It doesnt affect the phone so i'm just going to leave it. Let us know what verizon says

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
the anodized surface does wear and I have seen dark marks on my damp white micro fiber cloth after wiping my 7S when removing it from the case. so I would guess the oils from your hands are picking up a little of your devices finish.

using caps is for the weak.

I have never seen anything rub off on the cloth I use to clean the phone but it is never damp.

Some would say not using caps are for the lazy people.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I have never seen anything rub off on the cloth I use to clean the phone but it is never damp.

Some would say not using caps are for the lazy people.

Why do some people refuse to use a capital letter to start a sentence!

But shouldn't this end with a question mark, or at least a "?!"?

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
Don't.

The 6S Plus had aluminum anodization problems. There is a long thread on this forum that I can't find at the moment. It is the 7000 series aluminum. I don't know if that is the same series they use for the 7.

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/pitting-on-7000-series-al-alloy

User HEK provided a good explanation for why this was happening.

That said, TPU cases can cause, or accelerate this type of damage.

Let me help you with it, because I was the TS of that thread lol:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-plus-aluminium-chipping.1930678/

MrInquestador

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2015
This worries me. I use my silver 7+ naked while I have my 7 matte black on a speck presidio case. I'm thinking of removing my black 7 out of the case. What to do?

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I'm using a clear TPU insignia case. It has very small crosshatching patterns across the whole thing but they are so small that they couldnt cause the problem i dont think

Stephen.Trae

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
So I went to Verizon today and they confirmed that the finish was starting to wear and acknowledge the speckles across my phone. He suggested that I contact Apple Customer service though because they would just send me a refurbished iPhone. So I called Apple back and long story short I sent it to UPS and within an hour I got my case number with them identifying the problem as
"Problem Description: Physical Damage - Enclosure - discoloration" The rep. said that he hasn't heard of people having this problem and that I was the first to report this to him. I'll inform you guys if they send me a new iPhone or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike5254

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
So I went to Verizon today and they confirmed that the finish was starting to wear and acknowledge the speckles across my phone. He suggested that I contact Apple Customer service though because they would just send me a refurbished iPhone. So I called Apple back and long story short I sent it to UPS and within an hour I got my case number with them identifying the problem as
"Problem Description: Physical Damage - Enclosure - discoloration" The rep. said that he hasn't heard of people having this problem and that I was the first to report this to him. I'll inform you guys if they send me a new iPhone or not.
Interesting. Do you have any kind of warranty?

d245770q

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
London
This also happened to my JB 7 in the last few days. Had the phone 3-4 weeks. No case but always super careful and kept in my pockets on its own with no keys/coins etc. Phone hasn't been dropped and doesn't have a single mark/scratch on it.

It's as if it's chipped or peeled/flaked away? Took it to Apple Genius Bar last night and they refused to accept it was a manufacturing fault and kicked me out the door.

Really disappointed with this.

If anyone else has experienced or heard of this would be interested in seeing what response you got from Apple. Doing a quick search myself this certainly isn't the first JB to do this and always seems to be around the speaker grill.

img_0059-jpg.675219
img_0072-jpg.675220

Reactions: Sunny1990

d245770q

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
London
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
This also happened to my JB 7 in the last few days. Had the phone 3-4 weeks. No case but always super careful and kept in my pockets on its own with no keys/coins etc. Phone hasn't been dropped and doesn't have a single mark/scratch on it.

It's as if it's chipped or peeled/flaked away? Took it to Apple Genius Bar last night and they refused to accept it was a manufacturing fault and kicked me out the door.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
View attachment 675222 View attachment 675223 This also happened to my JB 7 in the last few days. Had the phone 3-4 weeks. No case but always super careful and kept in my pockets on its own with no keys/coins etc. Phone hasn't been dropped and doesn't have a single mark/scratch on it.

Quite disappointing indeed.

d245770q

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
London
No the issue with my JB 7 is definitely different to fair wear and tear marks like on the 6S.

It has the appearance of like when paint peels or flakes off.

Still no joy with Apple... Spoke to Apple Care CS on the phone earlier. Sent them the pics and they are sending it up for "engineers to look at" and will apparently be in touch?

Reactions: Kinhoproteo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.