Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tr1ad

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Trinidad & Tobago
Not perfect but here are some quick edits.
[doublepost=1511297547][/doublepost]As a practice...try having the light shining on your subject. In this image not only do you have the light coming from behind but you are also 'hiding' in the shadow.. tough shot for any camera.
[doublepost=1511297678][/doublepost]
As you mention light shining on subject...

Maybe I'm just pixel peeping like I said before, but generally all photos no matter the lighting give off a washed effect with little or no sharpness/detail..... Probably just looking for better detail in my shots

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XFFDy2ufuHCQcI8X2

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Our English Chocolate Lab.

Attachments

• E14B63C5-C59A-45AA-AFB5-02DF788BF981.jpeg
    E14B63C5-C59A-45AA-AFB5-02DF788BF981.jpeg
    970.8 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: GuruZac

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
A few from the State Art Gallery of South Australia, taken last week, and all using the inbuilt camera app in either HDR or Portrait Modes.

These were all taken using HEIF as the image format, and I did no editing to them, they are straight out of camera in all regards. I simply exported them from Photos with no tweaks applied. I do love the colour rendition as it is, and feel absolutely zero need to play with editing anything in this regards. I work from a 27" colour calibrated iMac and my colour judgements are made when viewing on this, not when viewing on my phone.

----------

In HDR mode, and the skies are still blown out with no details at all, at least there's good shadow details!
IMG_1039-X3.jpg

In Portrait Mode.
This is my favourite sculpture in the art gallery, and Portrait Mode did a smashing job on defining the edges of this piece to apply the background blur really well. Except for the section between the legs of the character on the right, where it used part of the image from the wrong lens on the the edge of the floor and architrave here, resulting in this bit being higher than it should be, and it hasn't blurred this edge either.
IMG_1023-X3.jpg

In HDR Mode.
Even though the definition looks good at this size and resolution, the details to this material are considerably soft when viewed larger. (I think that the noise reduction is applied too heavily and this results in the softening of what should be otherwise crisp details.)
IMG_1003-X3.jpg

In Portrait Mode.
With the ISO at 800, there's quite a bit of noise in this one and the sculpture doesn't have the super crisp edges I expected it to have. I think that's as a result of the algorithms being applied in Portrait Mode and it not knowing exactly where to apply the blurring effect.
IMG_0992-X3.jpg

In Portrait Mode.
A tricky one for it to deal with and I think it did a superb job here!
IMG_0984-X3.jpg

My final thoughts are that it is very much a beta feature and Apple are still calling it that for a reason. I believe that they will fine-tune things along the way, so that it only gets better with time. But, for now, be prepared to have hit-and-miss results and take numerous shots of the same thing/people/person so that it hopefully works well in one of them!

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Here's a bunch of photo's that I just took, walking around our garden. I'm suitably impressed at the camera on the iPhone 8 plus, when it is controlled properly by a third party app!

I used an app called PureShot, which allowed me to use spot metering where I wanted to meter from in the images and also to choose where I wanted to focus in each image. It saved the images as RAW files, and they were very quickly edited in Lightroom. These are all single image exposures, no HDR, it's not really necessary when you work from a RAW file, unless there is a really big dynamic range present that you are trying to capture.

I like that in these first two images, the colours are not oversaturated or blown out, so there's detail all through them. Something that even DSLR's struggle with.

i-Mxjj9m6-X3.jpg

i-6VZWC3J-X3.jpg

i-zJ4nmWJ-X3.jpg

i-L2984vb-X3.jpg

i-JKLV8zL-X3.jpg

i-G3pw9BL-X3.jpg

i-8gVbt7m-X3.jpg

i-4BcnKQB-X3.jpg
I’m late to this party, but these are spectacular. Very impressed. I’ve got a 7 Plus now, but have decided I will be getting the 8 Plus. It is worth it for the camera updates alone.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I’m late to this party, but these are spectacular. Very impressed. I’ve got a 7 Plus now, but have decided I will be getting the 8 Plus. It is worth it for the camera updates alone.
Thanks! I don’t know about going from a 7 Plus to the 8 Plus. I came from a 6, so it was a huge increase for me.

Reactions: GuruZac

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Thanks! I don’t know about going from a 7 Plus to the 8 Plus. I came from a 6, so it was a huge increase for me.
Honestly, the pictures and videos I’ve seen, while not a major leap in all photos, is a pretty big improvement overall from 7 Plus to 8 Plus. My wife makes a living as a photographer and I showed her some of your shots using the pureshot app and she was quite impressed. I’m trying to convince her the 8 Plus is worth it :D

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
stock camera, 8 plus. yesterday on a boating trip saw this little fella'

Attachments

• IMG_9379.jpg
    IMG_9379.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 174

iubhounds

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
I want to see 8 image quality vs the plus.
I know I am really late to this discussion but if you go to CNET and look at the review of the 8 Plus ... within that article is a link where a professional photographer does exactly what you are looking for. There is a slider on each type of photo where you can compare photos from each camera.

In my case I was comparing the Plus to the X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.