Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Curious to see the 8 Plus vs the X benchmarks. With the same A11/M11 and 3gb of ram but fewer pixels and less tech in face ID to process, my hunch is the 8 Plus may score better and run smoother.

In the past, the 7 and 7 Plus resolutions have not shown any difference.

If Apple wanted a difference in spec, they could target the DRAM and NAND speeds of the iPhone 8.

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Because the way phones are designed and the OS is done I think the benchmarks between IOS and Android to be fairly meaningless. They tend to be more useful at comparing models within a single ecosystem so Android device vs Android device; iPhone 7 vs iPhone X.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's not even a matter of performance these days.
It's all about OS optimisation. IOS on 7 is faster than Android on S8. I don't even want to see an iPhone 8/X vs S8. It would be a masacre xD

Simply not true

the recent speed tests with 7 plus vs note 8 the note 8 won rather easily.

The new A11 will be super fast but much difference from the note 8? Don't see it being much different

Last edited:
Reactions: motulist

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It's not even a matter of performance these days.
It's all about OS optimisation. IOS on 7 is faster than Android on S8. I don't even want to see an iPhone 8/X vs S8. It would be a masacre xD

I am running iOS 11 on a 7+ and own an S8+. There’s absolutely nothing faster about the 7+.

If anything the iPhone is slower because there’s numerous bugs, app crashes and device freezing during use.

I’m hoping the final version improves things next week.

Reactions: motulist

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
I am running iOS 11 on a 7+ and own an S8+. There’s absolutely nothing faster about the 7+.

If anything the iPhone is slower because there’s numerous bugs, app crashes and device freezing during use.

I’m hoping the final version improves things next week.

Well...I don't know now how are the tests. But in the beginning IP7 was faster than S8. And anyway Iphone 8 will crush S8. But let's not forget that IP8 has LCD screen.
I am curious about Iphone X vs S8 tho :).

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
The numbers are meaningless, it's all about the feel and how it runs.
iPhone tends to bog down too easy.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Bench tests are for repair personnel and electronic geeks, who like to brag that what they have is bigger than the other guys device.

How does the phone feel in the hand during normal use? Is it easy to operate? Is the OS able to make use of the hardware? Is the OS practical and does it meet the needs of the buyer? Those are the kinds of things I, as a consumer, am more concerned about.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England

Look at the relative performance, we are no further forward than we were with iOS7 and the 5S.
It could clock more than a super computer but iOS runs like crap most of the time. Fix the software and apple wont need to chase clock cycles.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Look at the relative performance, we are no further forward than we were with iOS7 and the 5S.
It could clock more than a super computer but iOS runs like crap most of the time. Fix the software and apple wont need to chase clock cycles.

The tests on iOS don't measure clock cycles they measure actual real world tests on the phone because it can't access anything else besides that, it'll just cycle through a bunch of animations, downloads, streams, etc. and test how fast it can do all of those things. That's how the tests work... There's entire youtube channels dedicated to these types of things.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Im not on about the test, I'm on about apple chasing faster and faster CPUs
Fix the software, same with OSX, they are bloating the base code with crap requiring more and more processing.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Im not on about the test, I'm on about apple chasing faster and faster CPUs
Fix the software, same with OSX, they are bloating the base code with crap requiring more and more processing.

They are adding more code but if anything their specializing the hardware, individual processing chips that target individual tasks. Maybe you just don't use those tasks? A specific chip for photo processing to make that as fast as possible, this year a specific chip for the their neural networking is amazing. That'll help a ton. That sort of stuff (which other manufacturers are doing as well) will increase performance a ton as well. This is also their first in house GPU, which I have a feeling will mean next years GPU will be huge, thing A4-A5

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
If you can't multitask or do as many features as the Note 8, why put a fast processor in that phone? I guess if you play games on it, but most don't. LOL. Apple wins on the CPU benchmarks, but that's it.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
If you can't multitask or do as many features as the Note 8, why put a fast processor in that phone? I guess if you play games on it, but most don't. LOL. Apple wins on the CPU benchmarks, but that's it.

Games are the best selling category in the App Store not sure what you mean there.

Reactions: ctrlzone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.