Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
lol my iPhone 6 Plus which is 3 years old is faster than most new androids still.
I have 6 plus as well and i'm suprised that it still standing regardless of 1 gb ram. (as I'm thinking about it...yeah i'm suprised how it can last at least 3 gen models).

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The numbers certainly are interesting. The question is whether or not the results are real. Assuming that AppleInsider is looking at the same results, they noted that the processor speed was way off. Could be just a geekbench glitch, or could indicate that the results are fake. They have contacted Geekbench for provenance information:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...ws-away-the-samsung-galaxy-s8-in-every-regard

Reactions: matty.p

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Multitasking means running apps in the background (not just foreground). It requires memory and CPU power to do it. Just like a PC has done for years. There is a video out there that compares the 2GB on the S8 to the Note 8 gb. The Note 8 was able to keep 25 apps running but the S8 only 6 I believe before having to refresh it. The Note 8 can do all that above, and more. Reason why it needs 6gb.

But I will say it again. The iPhone doesn't multitask like other devices. It stops the program from running in the background.

Either we aren't understanding each other or we just have two different trains of thought.

iOS is just more efficient at handling background task.

There are a total of 9 background modes. Things like audio apps, navigation apps, VOIP apps, etc etc...

Apps that meet those qualifications like a 3rd party voice over IP app, navigations app, and/or an app wanting to update its information based on variables (wifi, battery percentage, etc) by utilizing background app refresh can function in the background.

Apps that don't have one of the 9 exceptions are suspended (in RAM) as soon as possible, however they can request time to complete a task like a download.

Apps function is suspended specifically to conserve battery life. If its a non essential app then it shouldn't be running.

The app will remain suspended in RAM and opening right back up where you left off unless its purged by another app/function that needed the RAM when it was in its suspended state.

Android and iOS function fairly similarly in this regard. And while iOS isn't perfect Android tends to have more apps that won't play by the rules and continue to run and needlessly waste battery in the background.

Because of that the more RAM the device has the more apps it can keep suspended in the background. Software optimization plays a roll too though. Android isn't as efficient with memory management so they tend to need more RAM than iOS devices.

Here is a video demonstrating how the S8 with 4gb of RAM purges apps the iPhone 7 with 3gb of RAM keeps suspended (on the second lap). Yes, its an unrealistic use case but illustrates the point.

Reactions: roeiz

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Either we aren't understanding each other or we just have two different trains of thought.

There are a total of 9 background modes. Things like audio apps, navigation apps, VOIP apps, etc etc...

Apps that meet those qualifications like a 3rd party voice over IP app, navigations app, and/or an app wanting to update its information based on variables (wifi, battery percentage, etc) by utilizing background app refresh can function in the background.

Apps that don't have one of the 9 exceptions are suspended (in RAM) as soon as possible, however they can request time to complete a task like a download.

Apps function is suspended specifically to conserve battery life. If its a non essential app then it shouldn't be running.

The app will remain suspended in RAM and opening right back up where you left off unless its purged by another app/function that needed the RAM when it was in its suspended state.

Android and iOS function fairly similarly in this regard. And while iOS isn't perfect Android tends to have more apps that won't play by the rules and continue to run and needlessly waste battery in the background.

Because of that the more RAM the device has the more apps it can keep suspended in the background. Software optimization plays a roll too though. Android isn't as efficient with memory management so they tend to need more RAM than iOS devices.

Here is a video demonstrating how the S8 with 4gb of RAM purges apps the iPhone 7 with 3gb of RAM keeps suspended (on the second lap). Yes, its an unrealistic use case but illustrates the point.

Yes, the compression algorithms are better on iOS when it comes to background tasks. But iOS shouldn't need such a poweful SoC.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017

Well, the Note 8 killed the S8 in the test below. And again, the iPhone doesn't do REAL multitasking. I understand and I understand how the iOS works, but it isn't like "REAL multitasking". I've had apps that I want to run in the background (like cloud drive apps), to update my photos on my drive storage, and it won't do it without me keeping the app open. My Android phone, no issues. it does it just fine.

Reactions: jamesrick80

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Well, the Note 8 killed the S8 in the test below. And again, the iPhone doesn't do REAL multitasking. I understand and I understand how the iOS works, but it isn't like "REAL multitasking". I've had apps that I want to run in the background (like cloud drive apps), to update my photos on my drive storage, and it won't do it without me keeping the app open. My Android phone, no issues. it does it just fine.

If you use an android phone why are you trolling an iPhone forum?

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Im on planet reality, it's clear what I'm suggesting. iOS is bloated and that needs sorting so we don't end up needing 400 cores each running at trillion Hz. It's a mobile OS, it needs to be slick, smooth and without stuff like animated talking turds!!! iOS 10 runs worse than iOS6 and 7 on CPUs that were in the 1200 range. Yes, thats right the A7 getting like a 3rd of the numbers on the pointless bench marks.

Optimise the software...

What are you smoking , just compare how whatsapp Facebook snapchat instagram Skype browsing telegram and almost all other apps run on iOS compared to android

I mean .. I own both android oneplus 5 with stock android and iPhone 6s, 6s still smokes it being 2 years older

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Well that specific task has always favored Android because of its lack of restrictions. However its not like cloud services can't do it, and if they can't they need new devs.

I use iCloud so the only one I could think of off the top of my head was DropBox.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/background-uploading

While its not as seamless DropBox will continue uploading in the background. Again like I mentioned utilizing the background app update API and based on variables of the phone.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Well that specific task has always favored Android because of its lack of restrictions. However its not like cloud services can't do it, and if they can't they need new devs.

I use iCloud so the only one I could think of off the top of my head was DropBox.

While its not as seamless DropBox will continue uploading in the background. Again like I mentioned utilizing the background app update API and based on variables of the phone.

Does this get solved with the new Files app in 11 ? I dropped all my third party solutions a few years ago so can’t test myself.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
What are you smoking , just compare how whatsapp Facebook snapchat instagram Skype browsing telegram and almost all other apps run on iOS compared to android

I mean .. I own both android oneplus 5 with stock android and iPhone 6s, 6s still smokes it being 2 years older
You are confusing the fluidity of the OS with how the Apps are coded for each platform. 2 very different things.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
If you use an android phone why are you trolling an iPhone forum?

Because I have 3 other iPhones, iPad Pro, 2 Macs, and use to have a 7 Plus right before my Note 8. And have every right to be here.
[doublepost=1505690255][/doublepost]

Hmm, I use all those apps except Skype, and have no issues with them on Android compared to my iPhone 7 plus.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Why?

Encoding video with HEVC requires a quite a bit of horsepower (comparatively).

Now one may argue they personally don't need 4k 60fps but it seems odd to claim it doesn't "need" it. Just seems subjective to me.

And yet the 835 can hardware encode HEVC and power 4k@60fps.

On the Nexus devices...

Actually, on all. Even the S8 runs well on a supposedly weaker than the 7
A10 processor.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017

OneDrive and Drop Box I used. I started using Google now recently. But most without keeping it open didn't continue to back up.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Because I have 3 other iPhones, iPad Pro, 2 Macs, and use to have a 7 Plus right before my Note 8. And have every right to be here.
[doublepost=1505690255][/doublepost]

Hmm, I use all those apps except Skype, and have no issues with them on Android compared to my iPhone 7 plus.
Good post!! It really ***** me how people think just because someone owns an Android phone that they hate Apple products. It is possible to like Apple while being critical of things they don't do so well, you don't have to blindly love everything a company makes.

Reactions: Yankee512
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.