Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Show us your data that shows more adults play games than kids on iPods or iPads.

Well logically Games are the highest category on the iOS store, more adults are going to own an iPhone versus kids who are more likely to own an iPad or iPod Touch and you have zero data to back up your claim so I think I'll go with adults play games on their phones. Not to mention Apple highlights multiple games in every keynote specifically targeted at adults and I guarantee you they have the best metrics on their own customers.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Are you ACTUALLY suggesting that iOS is more bloated and less efficient than Android? What planet are you living on?

Im on planet reality, it's clear what I'm suggesting. iOS is bloated and that needs sorting so we don't end up needing 400 cores each running at trillion Hz. It's a mobile OS, it needs to be slick, smooth and without stuff like animated talking turds!!! iOS 10 runs worse than iOS6 and 7 on CPUs that were in the 1200 range. Yes, thats right the A7 getting like a 3rd of the numbers on the pointless bench marks.

Optimise the software...

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Well logically Games are the highest category on the iOS store, more adults are going to own an iPhone versus kids who are more likely to own an iPad or iPod Touch and you have zero data to back up your claim so I think I'll go with adults play games on their phones. Not to mention Apple highlights multiple games in every keynote specifically targeted at adults and I guarantee you they have the best metrics on their own customers.
You seem to not get it. The point is not iphones. The point is what are the most downloaded content in the app store. It doesn't show if it's an iPhone or iPod. But I can promise you this. Games are number one because there are more kids out there playing on some iOS device than any adult and that is why we have so many games being downloaded. No matter if it's iPod, iPhone or iPad most of those are games and probably most are downloaded on iPods and iPad.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England

I buy games for devices, but i dont play them, my kids do. Does that mess up the metric even more?
Who's buying and who's playing :D

Reactions: ABC5S

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
You seem to not get it. The point is not iphones. The point is what are the most downloaded content in the app store. It doesn't show if it's an iPhone or iPod. But I can promise you this. Games are number one because there are more kids out there playing on some iOS device than any adult and that is why we have so many games being downloaded. No matter if it's iPod, iPhone or iPad most of those are games and probably most are downloaded on iPods and iPad.

Ok next time I'm on my lunch break at work and I see twenty five forty year olds playing games like bejeweled (or whatever match three is popular the moment) and last year when I saw hundreds of twenty and thirty year olds wandering the streets playing Pokemon Go I'll just remember it was a fever dream because adults don't play games on their iPhones.

Reactions: Blueline29

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Read like sore losers to me :)

I don’t care about bench marks but it doesn’t surprise me at all. It is quite clear in daily use...Not sure why some seem to think that the phone is only fast for children but not for adults...Very weird to keep pushing that point...

Reactions: clauzzz203

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you can't multitask or do as many features as the Note 8, why put a fast processor in that phone? I guess if you play games on it, but most don't. LOL. Apple wins on the CPU benchmarks, but that's it.

Multitasking as defined as using two apps on the screen at once is generally more RAM intensive than CPU intensive. Once apps are loaded you are typically only using one at a time. And even if its two apps actively running there still isn't much load on the CPU when they are this powerful.

The requirement for faster CPU's are due to things like encoding, decoding, rendering, encryption, decryption, etc. For example the new iPhones can record at 4k 60fps encoding with HEVC. That is a feature found on 1500-2000 dollar DSLR cameras due to the processing requirements of HEVC.

Going back a couple generations not only did the iPhone get 4k 30fps but iMovie was updated to import, edit and export 4k. While the app is limited it scrubs smooth and exports (encodes) quickly.

Going even further back the iPhone stitching together a panorama photo as fast as it did was impressive. Even loading a very large PDF was (and still can be) a real challenge that heavily utilizes hardware rendering.

Plus there is an above average amount of encryption and data protection going on every time the device locks even with apps running that is virtually transparent to the end user.

Not saying the competitors don't use good CPU's in their flagship devices but there is plenty of reason for Apple to use the fastest they can regardless of some arbitrary notion that using a web browser and watching a youtube video at the same time (multitasking) is CPU intensive.

Games are a good example of why Apple has no choice but to keep using the fastest CPU they can build. Not for running them to today but for running them tomorrow. The apps that devs program need to be supported on the entire line of devices they are coding for. So for a game updated for iOS 11 they need it to run on the iPhone 5S, 6, 6S, 7, 8, X. While there are exceptions because some devs go the extra mile and program additional graphical fidelity for more modern devices, most games are identical across the board. If Apple stopped ramping up the speed of their CPUs a few years from now that would be a massive problem for them because it would drastic limit future software or they would need to prematurely drop a device(s).

Reactions: clauzzz203

mosincredible

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Dallas, TX.
It's kind of a shame that Apple is the one with the A11 as it would be better served in an Android since the OS allows for so much more. All that power and a very optimized but limited OS is a very nice experience but could you imagine the sheer number of features Android has being powered by the A11 instead?

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Multitasking as defined as using two apps on the screen at once is generally more RAM intensive than CPU intensive. Once apps are loaded you are typically only using one at a time. And even if its two apps actively running there still isn't much load on the CPU when they are this powerful.

The requirement for faster CPU's are due to things like encoding, decoding, rendering, encryption, decryption, etc. For example the new iPhones can record at 4k 60fps encoding with HEVC. That is a feature found on 1500-2000 dollar DSLR cameras due to the processing requirements of HEVC.

Going back a couple generations not only did the iPhone get 4k 30fps but iMovie was updated to import, edit and export 4k. While the app is limited it scrubs smooth and exports (encodes) quickly.

Going even further back the iPhone stitching together a panorama photo as fast as it did was impressive. Even loading a very large PDF was (and still can be) a real challenge that heavily utilizes hardware rendering.

Plus there is an above average amount of encryption and data protection going on every time the device locks even with apps running that is virtually transparent to the end user.

Not saying the competitors don't use good CPU's in their flagship devices but there is plenty of reason for Apple to use the fastest they can regardless of some arbitrary notion that using a web browser and watching a youtube video at the same time (multitasking) is CPU intensive.

Games are a good example of why Apple has no choice but to keep using the fastest CPU they can build. Not for running them to today but for running them tomorrow. The apps that devs program need to be supported on the entire line of devices they are coding for. So for a game updated for iOS 11 they need it to run on the iPhone 5S, 6, 6S, 7, 8, X. While there are exceptions because some devs go the extra mile and program additional graphical fidelity for more modern devices, most games are identical across the board. If Apple stopped ramping up the speed of their CPUs a few years from now that would be a massive problem for them because it would drastic limit future software or they would need to prematurely drop a device(s).

Multitasking means running apps in the background (not just foreground). It requires memory and CPU power to do it. Just like a PC has done for years. There is a video out there that compares the 2GB on the S8 to the Note 8 gb. The Note 8 was able to keep 25 apps running but the S8 only 6 I believe before having to refresh it. The Note 8 can do all that above, and more. Reason why it needs 6gb.

But I will say it again. The iPhone doesn't multitask like other devices. It stops the program from running in the background.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Im on planet reality, it's clear what I'm suggesting. iOS is bloated and that needs sorting so we don't end up needing 400 cores each running at trillion Hz. It's a mobile OS, it needs to be slick, smooth and without stuff like animated talking turds!!! iOS 10 runs worse than iOS6 and 7 on CPUs that were in the 1200 range. Yes, thats right the A7 getting like a 3rd of the numbers on the pointless bench marks.

Optimise the software...
If iOS is bloated then what the hell is Android?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Alot of Apple fans in this thread that have obviously not used a 2017 Android phone lol The A11 is going to be a monster, no doubt but as so many tech reviewers have been saying iOS in its latest iterations has become bogged down. Meanwhile Android has been getting leaner each year.

Reactions: Yankee512

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Alot of Apple fans in this thread that have obviously not used a 2017 Android phone lol The A11 is going to be a monster, no doubt but as so many tech reviewers have been saying iOS in its latest iterations has become bogged down. Meanwhile Android has been getting leaner each year.

Maybe it's because we've read this type of comment every freaking year, and it was never true. "There used to be lag, but the [insert random year] Android phones are completely different."

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Maybe it's because we've read this type of comment every freaking year, and it was never true. "There used to be lag, but the [insert random year] Android phones are completely different."
I will admit in previous years even though Android was improving steadily it still lagged and had stutters but this year is different, any Android phone using the Snapdragon 835 or Exynos 8895 is at iOS levels of smoothness.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The tests on iOS don't measure clock cycles they measure actual real world tests on the phone because it can't access anything else besides that, it'll just cycle through a bunch of animations, downloads, streams, etc. and test how fast it can do all of those things. That's how the tests work... There's entire youtube channels dedicated to these types of things.

I can take down a telephone number faster with the Note 8 than any iPhone.

I know I can make a GIF from a video I took of my kids and send it over Facebook messenger to my wife faster on the Note 8 than iPhone.

I bet I can highlight text on a page in German, translate it to English and email it as an attachment as a response to an email faster on a Note 8 than an iPhone.

I can tell Bixby to stop an alarm already playing, create a new one, start playing bedtime music and turn the volume down without getting out of bed.

See that’s speed.

That’s a real world test for how people live their lives.

Reactions: Yankee512

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Why would I do that? I never made that claim.

You are asking me for a claim, I am asking you first to prove your side. Anyone with common sense knows the games are high because mostly kids are playing them on ipads and ipods.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
You are asking me for a claim, I am asking you first to prove your side. Anyone with common sense knows the games are high because mostly kids are playing them on ipads and ipods.

I said I am an adult and play games on my iPhone. You want me to provide data to support that claim? I guess I can show a screen shot of my screen with games installed. That what you are looking for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.