Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Change default apps, completely customize the user interface / launcher / notification shade (quick settings) / icons / everything, split screen multitasking, notably better notifications.

But if that isn't important (and it's not important for most people), then there isn't much difference between the two. They both are very polished OSes.

He was saying Android performs better in some cases despite the CPUs typically being slower. While the things you listed are of course things Apple doesn't do none of them are really related to tasks and such. I am specifically asking what kind of tasks do people actually do on their Android phone that one can't do on an iPhone.

I suppose split screen multitasking might count but I don't really consider that a task

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
He was saying Android performs better in some cases despite the CPUs typically being slower. While the things you listed are of course things Apple doesn't do none of them are really related to tasks and such. I am specifically asking what kind of tasks do people actually do on their Android phone that one can't do on an iPhone.

I suppose split screen multitasking might count but I don't really consider that a task

Ahh..

Frankly there nothing that either platform can't really do. Some things might be better executed here and there, but overall, pretty similar. It's also why I really don't understand the fanboyism. I use Android for my phones now because I care about customization, but I still went to check out the 8 at the Apple Store because they make awesome phones and I wanted to play with them.

BTW, I think the space gray 8 is beautiful....the glass makes a bigger difference to hand feel than expected. Feels really nice, but very dense.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Day in and day out with real usage the note 8 is the better performing phone. Bench marks mean nothing in real usage. My 7 plus is slow compared to my note 8.

donth8

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
Day in and day out with real usage the note 8 is the better performing phone. Bench marks mean nothing in real usage. My 7 plus is slow compared to my note 8.
Slow at doing what? This video shows the Note 8 getting destroyed:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Slow at doing what? This video shows the Note 8 getting destroyed:
Wow that is not just a win, that is just an embarrassment. The guy had to speed up the video for the Note 8 as it was so far behind...

And what is it with the colours on the Note 8 - they look very oversatured to me. Seems like Samsung is up to its old tricks regarding displays.

But yes the speed and ram management of the iPhone 8 is very impressive.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
IPhone 8 is terribly slow like shown above. Like I said the note 8 is a Power house. It does a lot more better than the iPhone and not just opening games. Sorry that doesn't make an iPhone faster but doing all tasks the note is overall faster.

Reactions: g75d3

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have had a ton of phones both Android and every iphone every year.

All these benchmark tests are useless imho. They do not actually translate to real world use.
When I am using my Note 8 or 8 Plus or whatever phone....they all have pluses and minuses. They all have their good and bad and little quirks.

The main important thing is user experience. That cannot be measured in a benchmark test.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
IPhone 8 is terribly slow like shown above. Like I said the note 8 is a Power house. It does a lot more better than the iPhone and not just opening games. Sorry that doesn't make an iPhone faster but doing all tasks the note is overall faster.
Very predictable despite the evidence shown above. Shame.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have had a ton of phones both Android and every iphone every year.

All these benchmark tests are useless imho. They do not actually translate to real world use.
When I am using my Note 8 or 8 Plus or whatever phone....they all have pluses and minuses. They all have their good and bad and little quirks.

The main important thing is user experience. That cannot be measured in a benchmark test.
well said

These speeds are nice and all for people who have agenda i guess who want their phone to be quicker than others but you can always find other speed tests on youtube which show different results so really they don't mean much

donth8

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
All tasks that actually require more processing power like encoding videos or opening larger applications, the iPhone is much faster. You need to be more specific about your note being overall faster... So far the video I posted above proves my point completely, you have yet to show concrete evidence...

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
All tasks that actually require more processing power like encoding videos or opening larger applications, the iPhone is much faster. You need to be more specific about your note being overall faster... So far the video I posted above proves my point completely, you have yet to show concrete evidence...

Many others and myself have on not just this thread but others. We actually OWN the phones.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Once again faster at doing what exactly? I also own the iPhone 8 plus and it is extremely fast, so please elaborate.

Let me try to explain it this way. You know how to use the search on this forum, go look into the other O/S area.

1. iPhone 7 is faster than iPhone 8 at this time. Note 8 is faster than iPhone 7. EOD.

Reactions: g75d3

donth8

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
Let me try to explain it this way. You know how to use the search on this forum, go look into the other O/S area.

1. iPhone 7 is faster than iPhone 8 at this time. Note 8 is faster than iPhone 7. EOD.
You are right the discussion has been done since my post #205! I will attach the video one more time where your Note 8 gets completely and utterly demolished and lapped by the iPhone 8 plus, thanks for trying...
Samsung Note 8 v iPhone 8 Plus | Speed-Test

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Me thinks that Yankee512 doesn't actually want to discuss facts just promote his Note 8 on these boards....I find it quite astonishing people get so attached to their own purchasing decisions that all common sense seems to go out of the window...

Just get the best for you and be happy with it...

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Me thinks that Yankee512 doesn't actually want to discuss facts just promote his Note 8 on these boards....I find it quite astonishing people get so attached to their own purchasing decisions that all common sense seems to go out of the window...

Just get the best for you and be happy with it...

I already know the facts. I am done arguing with people who refuse to open their eyes.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I can do that too. Note 8 wins.

Doesn't win in all categories very clearly....but yes in some categories in that video it wins...I must admit that I prefer the methodological approach of the other video above as it is clearly a repeatable process with 2 'laps'...

PS. Each time I see that Note 8 I can't help but think of a fridge...my gosh that thing is fugly...But I appreciate that is a subjective viewpoint there is someone for everyone...

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Doesn't win in all categories very clearly....but yes in some categories in that video it wins...I must admit that I prefer the methodological approach of the other video above as it is clearly a repeatable process with 2 'laps'...

PS. Each time I see that Note 8 I can't help but think of a fridge...my gosh that thing is fugly...But I appreciate that is a subjective viewpoint there is someone for everyone...

In most it does. So overall it won. Note 8 ugly, but it's the best design of any smart phone to date, and not a 4 year old design. You will find one reason or another to make the iphone look better. I've owned more iphones than many probably on here, and can tell you I know what is better. I still like the iPhone, but I got sick of them not changing.

Reactions: jamesrick80

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
In most it does. So overall it won. Note 8 ugly, but it's the best design of any smart phone to date, and not a 4 year old design. You will find one reason or another to make the iphone look better. I've owned more iphones than many probably on here, and can tell you I know what is better. I still like the iPhone, but I got sick of them not changing.
In one category it didn't win and will never win ;) It is not running iOS....All this comparing is so boring. If you want an Android then please do get an Android and be happy with it. By all means compare spec for spec with other Android phones...And by all means compare spec by spec with iPhones....The two are fundamentally different and take different approaches...it is a futile and pointless exercise to keep saying on these forums how happy you are with your Note 8.

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder...to me the Note 8 looks like a fridge and a very generic frame in which some technology has been stuffed...

Reactions: donth8

donth8

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
That testing is not good since both phones fight the wifi connection at the same time. Also where was the video editing and exporting in that one? As cyb3rdud3 said it does not win every category at all. If you want to tell me opening Instagram 0.5 sec faster is better than exporting a video 4 times faster like the screenshot from Tomsguide I have attached then that is pretty sad.

Attachments

• video_export.jpeg
    video_export.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

tatsuki

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
I was pretty surprised to see the iPhone 7 soundly beat the iPhone 8, the reviewer kept saying it would surely be fixed in a software optimisation update, but as he said its the first time an outgoing old iphone has beaten the new one in these tests.

Reactions: nj1266
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.