Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yes I did, but obviously you didn't.
[doublepost=1505776557][/doublepost]

It still works like that. iOS stops the apps after so long. It doesn't do real multitasking STILL.
Wow with a straight face, very interesting....

"It doesn't do real multitasking" - Ok, educate us what do you think is real multitasking. Which particular version are you talking about? I've got a incline to assume that it is a rather narrow definition of your specific way of operating, but I happily be corrected....So please explain what you think multitasking means.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It’s not that Android is less efficient with RAM, it’s that Android and iOS take drastically different approaches to RAM/background app management. iOS uses RAM compression (same as how its worked on macOS since Maverick.) iOS can compress a background app from say 350mb down to barely 10mb in ram, and uncompress it back instantly when called upon for use again. Android doesn’t do this, their solution is far less elegant and is to just throw more RAM at it. This is why Androids often have 4-8gb of RAM where iOS can manage often more apps in the background without a reload with far less.

Edit to add a video explaining this.

Semantics...

It does less with more..... aka more efficient.

Btw that is not memory compression making 350 mb 10mb (impossible levels of lossless compression on a phone btw). That's allocation of elements. Example, the app stays in memory but all the images reload, or the level on the game reloads, etc.

As smart as that gentlemen seemed he made that well documented function out to be some mystical secret Apple won't give people privy too.

Most compression is done on the dev side using various tools. You can find the basic information here and more by following the links contained within..

https://developer.apple.com/library...ingGuide/PerformanceTips/PerformanceTips.html

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Samsung and LG may be getting the display down with infinity display and true-edgeless, Apple has to have some other advantages.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Something wrong with ram management on the iPhone 8? It's flushing games from memory according to this speed test.

Reactions: g75d3

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
I knew my comment would make atleast one person mad. But let me elaborate....I would love to see all that power fully pushed to the limit just to see how powerful the iPhone truly is...whether that be a game in the app store or some badass app. Just wanna see the power pushed to the limit

Reactions: Andeddu

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
This is precisely why everybody should be upgrading to either an iPhone 8 or iPhone X. These new iPhones are insanely powerful Super Computers.

Of course you're right.

Just the phone will lag next year with the new iOS or no later than iOS 13 or 14 (see iPhone 7). No thanks!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Depending on what you do with your smart phone there’s plenty of tasks the Note 8 will perform faster because android is far more flexible and feature laden than iOS.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html

"The "Bionic" part in the name of Apple's A11 Bionic chip isn't just marketing speak. It's the most powerful processor ever put in a mobile phone. We've put this chip to the test in both synthetic benchmarks and some real-world speed trials, and it obliterates every Android phone we tested."
You might want to remove the "(It's Not Even Close)" from the title. It makes it seem like you're being sarcastic, and claiming it's not the fastest out there. o_O

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
You might want to remove the "(It's Not Even Close)" from the title. It makes it seem like you're being sarcastic, and claiming it's not the fastest out there. o_O
Directly from the article's title. I'll change it if anyone seems to be confused in the comments.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Its not like you guys will ever see all six cores work at once in real world usage. The GeekBench newly updated app was tailored to give you the highest results. In real world usage, it will act like Big.Little. Those two high efficiency cores will take the most intense work and those 4 low efficiency cores will perform the lesser tasks on iOS to effectively save battery life. Enjoy never seeing this so-called amazing performance that beats all the competitors when in reality it will not show its true colors.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I knew my comment would make atleast one person mad. But let me elaborate....I would love to see all that power fully pushed to the limit just to see how powerful the iPhone truly is...whether that be a game in the app store or some badass app. Just wanna see the power pushed to the limit

Yeah we will have to wait for a long time for that. Game developers don’t want to restrict their market to only iPhone 8 for obvious reasons. So most apps / games will not use majority of that power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.