Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Mine 256gb silver have this problems.

[doublepost=1509877246][/doublepost]

Mine 256gb silver, I’ve flicker screen on mail app, you try to close the mail app then open again might see it after open an email.

Yes i see now after closing mail app and then open and go inside the mail. But this happens only once.
[doublepost=1509901115][/doublepost]
I also assume, it is a software bug. The Apple support is not always the best help ;). They usually try first to use the general fixing possibilities like soft reset, hard reset and so on.

Let's hope the next iOS update will fix it.

If you can go to apple store today to see if this happens in demo units. Please let me know, apple store in my area is closed today.

gio2369

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2014
Not sure if I should get it replaced or just wait for 11.2. Since it only happens in mail app I would think it’s software. What you guys think?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
No flicker here. Space gray 256 LTE.

You could try deleting the mail app and reinstalling.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I have this too but it’s clearly a software bug. If it was hardware it would be consistent every time. Being able to replicate it by fully closing the mail app then reopening it produces the flicker only that first time.

In my opinion I’d wait a little bit and see what happens - if the problem worsens or does not go away after the next few releases I might ask Apple about it but as it stands right now (at least for me) it’s a very minor annoyance

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I have seen it too. It always occurs the first time you open an email upon opening the email app. If you leave the mail app open in the background and you go back to it and open and email, you don't see the flicker. You have to force close the email app. open it, and open any email, the first one will have the flicker. None of them after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: mpavilion

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
You’re reading it wrong! :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1509919111][/doublepost]Mine does this as well. Apple genius said it was a hardware flaw.
[doublepost=1509919183][/doublepost]Flickergate has begun. :mad:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have it on my iPhone 7 Plus. I never noticed it before! I just checked out of curiosity and sure enough, first email I clicked on, I see the twitchy flashing at the top as shown on the video. I tend to look to the center of the display or look at something else entirely when opening email which is why I never noticed before.

Since it’s on an older model like mine which is pretty well tested, I wouldn’t worry about it being a hardware problem on your new iPhone X.

CS1

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
Dublin City, Ireland
You’re reading it wrong! :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1509919111][/doublepost]Mine does this as well. Apple genius said it was a hardware flaw.
[doublepost=1509919183][/doublepost]Flickergate has begun. :mad:

Even when you put the phone in difference orientation you can see the top mail app flickers, is that screen problem or software?

thedru13

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Not sure this is software. I had thought it was as well but mine happens when the processor seems to be taxed. Its really bad on my IPX and I am running on IOS 11.2 beta.. Have logged this issue with apple but no respsose. Here are two videos of what happens on my phone... It is actually worse than what I have captured in the screen vids.

Reactions: Orangeman13

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
3 people who I know all have the same issue.. it’s minor stuff and it’s software related..

thedru13

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
3 people who I know all have the same issue.. it’s minor stuff and it’s software related..

I have restored and even set up as a new phone and problem is worse now. The flicker is awful. Now it happens in every application where lines cut across the screen. Something is defiantly wrong with the phone and not sold it’s software based on all the trouble shooting I have done.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I have restored and even set up as a new phone and problem is worse now. The flicker is awful. Now it happens in every application where lines cut across the screen. Something is defiantly wrong with the phone and not sold it’s software based on all the trouble shooting I have done.

Just saw your video and yeah that’s worth bringing in to Apple for a look. Myself and others I know only have it in mail and only upon first opening one mail item-after that it’s gone until we completely shut down mail and reopen it

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
I have seen it too. It always occurs the first time you open an email upon opening the email app. If you leave the mail app open in the background and you go back to it and open and email, you don't see the flicker. You have to force close the email app. open it, and open any email, the first one will have the flicker. None of them after that.
Just did and no flicker when opening the email app. UPdate. I was doing it wrong...forgot to open up an email after opening up the app...Yes I see it too

Last edited:

thedru13

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
here is the issue on 11.1. you can see it on the icons then when using taptalk and doing a web search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.