Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I have it on my iPhone 7 Plus. I never noticed it before! I just checked out of curiosity and sure enough, first email I clicked on, I see the twitchy flashing at the top as shown on the video. I tend to look to the center of the display or look at something else entirely when opening email which is why I never noticed before.

Since it’s on an older model like mine which is pretty well tested, I wouldn’t worry about it being a hardware problem on your new iPhone X.

Exact same scene here (7 Plus / iOS 11.1). I almost never use the the Mail app, but opened and force-closed it a few times for this test. Indeed, when I first open an email message upon launching the app, the top of the window flickers.
[doublepost=1510204704][/doublepost]
I have seen it too. It always occurs the first time you open an email upon opening the email app. If you leave the mail app open in the background and you go back to it and open and email, you don't see the flicker. You have to force close the email app. open it, and open any email, the first one will have the flicker. None of them after that.

This summarizes it exactly.

Reactions: 5105973

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Nov 2, 2016
Exact same scene here (7 Plus / iOS 11.1). I almost never use the the Mail app, but opened and force-closed it a few times for this test. Indeed, when I first open an email message upon launching the app, the top of the window flickers.
[doublepost=1510204704][/doublepost]

This summarizes it exactly.

Its not just the mail app thats glitching for me. Its the boot screen as well.

at around 28 sec mark the apple logo vanishes and there is a thin white line glitch right under it. Its only 11.1 :/

Jr9800

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2017
Hi,

on my iPhone X (Space Gray 256 GB with iOS 11.1) the screen flickers, when I open the mail app. I posted a video on twitter:

https://twitter.com/0_Moe_0/status/926903250699288576

It is probably a software bug. Does someone else has this problem, too?

Bye

Moe

I get it on the mail App only the first time I open it. It goes away afterwards. On another site I learned that to repeat it I need to force close the mail app then it shows up again the first time I open the app. I also get it on the lock screen but only with some wallpapers. I downloaded the iFixit wallpaper that shows the iPhone X internals and that one triggers the entire screen to flicker when I swipe up to unlock.

Reactions: aloshka

mmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sydney
Good to know, most of them are having this.
I noticed it in mail app and did not know how to replicate it, as it happened once or twice during the day and only in mail app.
i was asking my friends with iphone X to notice for the issue
i replicated it by force closing mail app and reopen it, first time it flickers, next time it does not.
so looks like a software bug.

updated straight to 11.1 after turning on the phone, so cannot tell if this issue was there in the previous version.
[doublepost=1510264403][/doublepost]also happens when you change orientation for the first time and does not happen the second time and it flickers at a top of the landscape orientation and not near the notch, so looks like software bug, if hardware it should be flickering at same place.

getting a another iPhone X shipped today, not sure with IOS version it comes with, if it comes with a version below 11.1 will test it out in that and let yous know.

Last edited:

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
yeah, I was just going to post a video of this.. I get it too. I'm on 11.1 15B93. I think that's PB2.

Its only on the first launch and when I open the first email (any email will do) and it doesn't happen again unless I quit the app and restart.

There is some sort of anti-flicker software that does something to reduce flicker on the OLED screens, I wonder if that is where the glitch lies.

thedru13

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Just got back from the Apple store. they replaced my phone since they deemed it hardware related. I still have a bit of the mail flicker but leaning towards that being software related. My issue was a lot more severe

jb1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2017
Hi,

on my iPhone X (Space Gray 256 GB with iOS 11.1) the screen flickers, when I open the mail app. I posted a video on twitter:

https://twitter.com/0_Moe_0/status/926903250699288576

It is probably a software bug. Does someone else has this problem, too?

Bye

Moe
[doublepost=1511566021][/doublepost]I have same problem, called apple support they said try restoring device once, it looks like hardware issue
They said if it will be again after restore apple will replace with new

I'm restoring now, lets see what happens

gio2369

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2014
Just received my replacement device for same issue. And... it's still happening. I spoke to a apple advisor that said apple is aware of the issue but hasn't issued a fix for it yet.:(

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
its a known mail app bug. Supposedly its been there on older phones, just very hard to see due to the LCD. I saw a youtube video that mentioned it

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I get it on the mail App only the first time I open it. It goes away afterwards. On another site I learned that to repeat it I need to force close the mail app then it shows up again the first time I open the app. I also get it on the lock screen but only with some wallpapers. I downloaded the iFixit wallpaper that shows the iPhone X internals and that one triggers the entire screen to flicker when I swipe up to unlock.

Yup I get it on unlock as well. I checked the Apple store and all 6 had the issue.
[doublepost=1513846358][/doublepost]Just wondering you all that have the issue on at&t? Anyone on simfree or verizon?

bryans2002

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2018
I am having a jumping screen extremely bad. Even after a factory reset all, it still does it. It also looks jumpy when I try to open the phone with the FaceID. It has gone as far as to not let me use my photos for the lock or home screen. Best Buy won't help because I missed the 14 day window. Verizon is trying, but they are making me wait to ensure it is not my iCloud having a bug with it. I cannot place the phone on speaker and transition to another app for use with out the window "sort of minimizing" and causing the whole screen to lock up while the call is still ongoing.

Any help would be great. I just bought this phone on March 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.