Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alyabiev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Moscow
So this happened - screen is basically ruined in 4 days of normal use. These grooves can be felt not just by a nail, but with a naked fingertip, so I assume this is not an oleophobic coating that got damaged - it's the glass itself.

I must say I've never used a screen protector of any form and never had ANY scratches on all of my previous iPhones since 3G. The last owned one - 7 plus - was constantly dropped in sand, mud, snow, rocks and dirty pockets for half a year - no dings or abrasions are present.

And before you say that I have sand im my pockets or other abrasive stuff - no I do not, I keep my clothes perfectly clean :)

I will try to contact some of the Apple Authorised Service Centers today with this problem, as I don't have any official ones in Moscow, and I'm also hoping to receive any kind of help and advice from here too!

Two deep grooves on the right side of the screen:
x1.jpg

Tons of micro-abrasions in the top right corner:
x3.jpg

Half year old and literally abused 7 plus VS 4 day old X:
x2.jpg

Reactions: George Dawes

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I dropped my phone face first onto the floor. I usually hold it or keep it in my wristlet (with paper, passport, etc...things that are non abrasive as you say).

That hasn’t happened to me yet *knockonwood* and I’ve never used screen protectors and I’ve owned every version of the iPhone both regular and S since 3G...traded in my iPhone 7+ for this X actually on iup (just joined last year).

I’ve also had mine since Nov 3rd.

I’m sorry that happened to you, but I don’t think it’s an X thing.

alyabiev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Moscow
looks like keys in the pocket
I never put a phone with something else in a pocket, not even with a piece of paper.
[doublepost=1510126376][/doublepost]
I got Apple care plus for my 8 for this reason.
Unfortunately, AppleCare is not available in my country.
[doublepost=1510126563][/doublepost]
I dropped my phone face first onto the floor. I usually hold it or keep it in my wristlet (with paper, passport, etc...things that are non abrasive as you say).

That hasn’t happened to me yet *knockonwood* and I’ve never used screen protectors and I’ve owned every version of the iPhone both regular and S since 3G...traded in my iPhone 7+ for this X actually on iup (just joined last year).

I’ve also had mine since Nov 3rd.

I’m sorry that happened to you, but I don’t think it’s an X thing.

Glad that your screen is alrigth! :)
I will try to convince the service man, that it is a defect screen - it should not be able to scratch THAT easily in this short period of time.

Reactions: dk001

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So this happened - screen is basically ruined in 4 days of normal use. These grooves can be felt not just by a nail, but with a naked fingertip, so I assume this is not an oleophobic coating that got damaged - it's the glass itself.

I must say I've never used a screen protector of any form and never had ANY scratches on all of my previous iPhones since 3G. The last owned one - 7 plus - was constantly dropped in sand, mud, snow, rocks and dirty pockets for half a year - no dings or abrasions are present.

And before you say that I have sand im my pockets or other abrasive stuff - no I do not, I keep my clothes perfectly clean :)

I will try to contact some of the Apple Authorised Service Centers today with this problem, as I don't have any official ones in Moscow, and I'm also hoping to receive any kind of help and advice from here too!

Two deep grooves on the right side of the screen:
View attachment 733570

Tons of micro-abrasions in the top right corner:
View attachment 733572

Half year old and literally abused 7 plus VS 4 day old X:
View attachment 733571

The reality is this, something caused those scratches to appear. Something either rubbed or had contact to cause the scratches. Either you were aware of it or you were not, but regardless, they just don't appear without having some type of impact. And just because you're comparing your iPhone 7+ versus the iPhone X, every situation is different and what could have impacted the display and how it scratched initially.

Those micro abrasions at the top right corner, look like the dislay rubbed up against a hard surface.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
in 4 days of normal use.

7 plus - was constantly dropped in sand, mud, snow, rocks and dirty pockets for half a year

That's what you call normal use ?

those scratches are not from normal use, and with any luck you will pay the full amount to have the screen replaced :)

it should not be able to scratch THAT easily in this short period of time.

I did not know it was possible to make a screen that is incapable of scratching the first 2 weeks o_O

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Normal use and fabric from clothes does not cause that no matter what the OP claims. Whatever caused that would have had to be from a harder material than the glass itself.

I have owned every iPhone released and the first I broke the screen on was the iPhone 6, not the fault of the 6 but it was because I dropped it.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
There’s no way that those are from pocket damage. The first one looks like a stood from your jeans and the second one looks like it’s been brushed against a hard surface.

I’m 5 days in and used completely naked for 4 days and no screen procector and don’t have a single mark and it’s been in and out of my pocket multiple times and out of the house.

However, my friend had micro scratches on his screen from ‘pocket’ use. The screen coatings Definitely seem weaker. Corner 5 this year seem that way and the Samsung’s suffer terrible coating issues and micro scratches. I have an S8 too.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
My note 8 got many scratches from a unknown source. Had no idea. But it happens. Obviously something caused those scratches. That’s why I️ put a screen protector on my phones now. Sucks but it is what it is.

Lindalang2011

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
Texas
Try a Mr. Clean regular Magic Eraser. Don’t wet it first. Try it dry, then use a tiny amount of water on the sponge. Keep buffing. It worked on my Mac and completely took away all scuffs & marks. Worth a try!

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Try a Mr. Clean regular Magic Eraser. Don’t wet it first. Try it dry, then use a tiny amount of water on the sponge. Keep buffing. It worked on my Mac and completely took away all scuffs & marks. Worth a try!

Though I don’t doubt that worked for you, be very careful with Magic Erasers. They feel soft but they are actually very, very abrasive. They work like microscopic sandpaper. The same way that sand can polish glass, that’s why they work. But sand can also scratch glass.

They’d likely remove the oleophobic coating very quickly. Something that wouldn’t be on your Mac. Over repeated use they’d grind the screen down to a matte finish with lots and lots of micro scratches.

It’s how I clean my glass cooktop, which is now a matte feeling and scuffed looking mess.

Reactions: David R

alyabiev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Moscow
I’ve already dropped my X, naked. Not a scratch thankfully. OP I wouldn’t let a small scratch ruin your experience.

I know it bothers you to look at, but the phone will perform just the same!

Just a small battle scar. Does it really matter how it happened now that it’s there? Just have fun with it.

Hmm, I just thought I can now just throw it around like an old one and don't care at all.. Such a pleasure! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.