Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
That corner to me looks like a concrete/cement/rock abrasion. Or maybe it is from hardware on your jeans, etc. That is not just from fabric and pocket lint.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
It's a different screen / different phone. You obviously can't compare it to your phones of the past. Just like I think they've regressed in durability with all of the front/back glass. I can (and have) dropped my 7 plus several times. I'd bet those same drops would obliterate an X or 8/8 plus. That's just the way it works. I don't like the regression but it is what it is. We all have to adapt to more expensive and more fragile phones.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
So this happened - screen is basically ruined in 4 days of normal use. These grooves can be felt not just by a nail, but with a naked fingertip, so I assume this is not an oleophobic coating that got damaged - it's the glass itself.

I must say I've never used a screen protector of any form and never had ANY scratches on all of my previous iPhones since 3G. The last owned one - 7 plus - was constantly dropped in sand, mud, snow, rocks and dirty pockets for half a year - no dings or abrasions are present.

And before you say that I have sand im my pockets or other abrasive stuff - no I do not, I keep my clothes perfectly clean :)

I will try to contact some of the Apple Authorised Service Centers today with this problem, as I don't have any official ones in Moscow, and I'm also hoping to receive any kind of help and advice from here too!

Two deep grooves on the right side of the screen:
View attachment 733570

Tons of micro-abrasions in the top right corner:
View attachment 733572

Half year old and literally abused 7 plus VS 4 day old X:
View attachment 733571

Phone could be a day old or 5 years old but if you scratch it you scratch it. User error, sucks but stuff happens. Did you buy Applecare+? if so then you can get Apple to replace it for you :)

Reactions: chabig

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Phone could be a day old or 5 years old but if you scratch it you scratch it. User error, sucks but stuff happens. Did you buy Applecare+? if so then you can get Apple to replace it for you :)
He already mentioned that AC+ is not available in his country. Apple doesn't cover cosmetic damage which has been mentioned too. It's not like this is a hundred pages thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Surprised it hasn't been said yet but you know Apple's claim that they used the strongest glass on a phone, ever? Yeah you sacrifice scratch resistance for that strength. The more resistant to breaks from drops a phone becomes, the easier it's going to scratch. I had my 8 for less than a week before I acquired a pretty significant gouge in mine. Luckily it was in the black space above the screen rather than in the viewing area.

It's really a shame because I've always been against screen protectors but now it seems it's just something you have to have. I'm using a cheap anti-glare film I got off Amazon and it hides the scratch but I have to fight the urge to take it off every day as the naked screen is so much more of a joy to use.

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015

pretty sure applecare doesn't cover accidental damage

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Hmm, I just thought I can now just throw it around like an old one and don't care at all.. Such a pleasure! :)
Some people say that when you get a new car you should take a hammer and ding it yourself, so you can get over it and once you have he first damage, you won't care so much anymore.

To understand the scratches, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness
You can't just magically get scratches, so it had to come in contact with something.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I watched reviews from Michael Fisher and Ste Smith (Cult of Mac) and they both mentioned how prone the X are to scratches. Both weren't fans of Animoji. Ste didn't like when he held the phone in landscape, there is very little area to hold it. So a $1000+ smartphone that is prone to scratches especially on the edges and very expensive to repair using the strongest glass ever? Okie dokie. Whatever you say, Apple.

Again, it's the best iPhone ever made (so far). Nobody is really saying it's awful. The real question is it really, really worth it? Probably not to most people who don't have disposable income like others, content with their current phones, and when we all know Apple will reuse the same design every 3-4 years.

Scratches. Potential burn-in. Camera that doesn't outdo Note8 and Pixel 2 XL. Features like Face ID and Animoji that not everyone wants. The honeymoon phase intoxication is wearing off on newbie owners and some harsh reality and brutal honesty is sinking in.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
That looks odd to me: I have been using mine since last Friday and it looks great. The same way always in my pocket. It could be that there is something in your pocket like a very rough seam or fabric.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I spoke to an Apple employee yesterday and if you have Apple Care + you can have the screen replaced twice for $29 dollars each time for any accidental damage - including scratches - basically the cost of a screen protector, that’s why I’m not using a screen protector 1) Never had an issue with screen scratches on my iPhone 2) I work in an office 3) The cost of the screen protector is almost as much, if not the same as a full screen replacement.

AppleCare+ really takes the stress out of owning an iPhone.

Reactions: SDColorado

montanaco

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2016
Also if anyone is getting any microabrasions/scratches it might be your case. I've been rocking my phone naked or in an apple silicon case and it still looks 100% brand new, but my friend used a 3rd party case that was super tight and caused microabrasions on the band from trapped dust in the case. The phone is pretty scratch resistant but you still have to be careful.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I spoke to an Apple employee yesterday and if you have Apple Care + you can have the screen replaced twice for $29 dollars each time for any accidental damage - including scratches - basically the cost of a screen protector, that’s why I’m not using a screen protector 1) Never had an issue with screen scratches on my iPhone 2) I work in an office 3) The cost of the screen protector is almost as much, if not the same as a full screen replacement.

AppleCare+ really takes the stress out of owning an iPhone.
You have to remember, the real cost is $260, not $60 for those two replacements. You had to buy Applecare in the first place. The two years manufacturers warranty is still a bonus, but you lose any accidental coverage after those first two replacements.

Reactions: TravisPNW

mhoepfin

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
Adds character - you won't notice when the screen is on.

This is actually why I like the apple upgrade program. Once I got that I stopped caring about little cosmetic things because I knew I was ditching the phone in a few months.

Acejam2k

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Those scratches in the top right corner (2nd pic) tell me the phone was clearly dropped, or dragged against some abrasive material. Obviously not intentional on your part, but it clearly happened. Scratches don't just appear out of thin air.

These glass screens are pretty solid, and like you, I've never had a scratch on any of my screens over the last 5-6 iPhone's that I've had.
[doublepost=1510155466][/doublepost]
pretty sure applecare doesn't cover accidental damage

That's the whole point of AppleCare. Most major credit cards extend your warranty, but don't cover accidental damage, hence the reason for buying it in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.