Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015
That's the whole point of AppleCare. Most major credit cards extend your warranty, but don't cover accidental damage, hence the reason for buying it in the first place.

yeah i was wrong...for some reason i was thinking of the limited warranty. i used to do tech support for apple and i'd get so used to saying "apple's warranty does not cover accidental damage." I guess that's what my brain was remembering.

Michael19

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
United States
The reality is this, something caused those scratches to appear. Something either rubbed or had contact to cause the scratches. Either you were aware of it or you were not, but regardless, they just don't appear without having some type of impact. And just because you're comparing your iPhone 7+ versus the iPhone X, every situation is different and what could have impacted the display and how it scratched initially.

Those micro abrasions at the top right corner, look like the dislay rubbed up against a hard surface.
Completely agree with you.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
That's too bad. Interested to see what Apple does.

Will you use a screen protector from now on?

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
What DO you expect to happen if you put a glass and polished stainless steel object in pockets with keys, pocket knife, or whatever you carry in your pocket???

I guess some people don’t value the money they have spent. I wouldn’t just throw a set of keys on the windshield on my expensive truck. I wouldn’t do the same with a phone. Regardless of how tough the company says the material is.

At a minimum I would run a glass screen protector and let it be the sacrificial lamb as the saying goes. I have always run screen protectors and cases. Although I spent the money on Apple care this time and will probably go casesless occasionally.

Reactions: alau0115

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
Some people say that when you get a new car you should take a hammer and ding it yourself, so you can get over it and once you have he first damage, you won't care so much anymore.

To understand the scratches, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness
You can't just magically get scratches, so it had to come in contact with something.

Or take it to a Costco parking lot on a Saturday.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah, either you don't sweat it, or you're the kind of person who does and you just prevent it in advance.

Some people don't worry about their cars much, they'll park as close as possible to <whatever>. Me? I find an isolated spot, and end space, and walk. I either have a concern and find a solution, or don't and ignore the results :)

I watched reviews from Michael Fisher and Ste Smith (Cult of Mac) and they both mentioned how prone the X are to scratches. Both weren't fans of Animoji. Ste didn't like when he held the phone in landscape, there is very little area to hold it. So a $1000+ smartphone that is prone to scratches especially on the edges and very expensive to repair using the strongest glass ever? Okie dokie. Whatever you say, Apple.

Again, it's the best iPhone ever made (so far). Nobody is really saying it's awful. The real question is it really, really worth it? Probably not to most people who don't have disposable income like others, content with their current phones, and when we all know Apple will reuse the same design every 3-4 years.

Scratches. Potential burn-in. Camera that doesn't outdo Note8 and Pixel 2 XL. Features like Face ID and Animoji that not everyone wants. The honeymoon phase intoxication is wearing off on newbie owners and some harsh reality and brutal honesty is sinking in.

Provided a little editing to improve the relevance of your post in the context of the thread topic :D

Last edited:

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
So this happened - screen is basically ruined in 4 days of normal use. These grooves can be felt not just by a nail, but with a naked fingertip, so I assume this is not an oleophobic coating that got damaged - it's the glass itself.

I must say I've never used a screen protector of any form and never had ANY scratches on all of my previous iPhones since 3G. The last owned one - 7 plus - was constantly dropped in sand, mud, snow, rocks and dirty pockets for half a year - no dings or abrasions are present.

And before you say that I have sand im my pockets or other abrasive stuff - no I do not, I keep my clothes perfectly clean :)

I will try to contact some of the Apple Authorised Service Centers today with this problem, as I don't have any official ones in Moscow, and I'm also hoping to receive any kind of help and advice from here too!

Two deep grooves on the right side of the screen:
View attachment 733570

Tons of micro-abrasions in the top right corner:
View attachment 733572

Half year old and literally abused 7 plus VS 4 day old X:
View attachment 733571

There's no way in hell those scratches were just done by random in your pocket and you were innocent.

looool those scratches are very deep and looks like real damage to the phone. Hairline scratches would be another story but those are more serious.

Reactions: DiveKitty

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I never put a phone with something else in a pocket, not even with a piece of paper.
[doublepost=1510126376][/doublepost]
Unfortunately, AppleCare is not available in my country.
[doublepost=1510126563][/doublepost]

Glad that your screen is alrigth! :)
I will try to convince the service man, that it is a defect screen - it should not be able to scratch THAT easily in this short period of time.

What's time got to do with it?

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
Yeah, that looks like the scratches I got on my brand new Apple Watch last month when I brushed it against a concrete wall at work. It sucks, but a screen protector covers it. I kind of wish I had bought the SS now with the Sapphire screen, although I managed to scratch that on my series 0, likely with the diamond on my wedding band.

There is no way to get around it without using a screen protector. Without it, you are risking some sort of scratch, either deep like those, or microscratches in the oleophobic coating.

Reactions: TravisPNW

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There is no way to get around it without using a screen protector. Without it, you are risking some sort of scratch, either deep like those, or microscratches in the oleophobic coating.

I'm using some inexpensive film style protectors from TechMatte (their amFilm product). $7.99 for a 3 pack, pretty easy to install (hahaha, the notch makes it easy to line up!), they have a nice glasslike feel, are very clear, and protect from 98% of the daily type of scratches (especially things in your pocket).

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
somehow my X got a small gouge in the middle of the screen, like a very small chip out of the glass. Absolutely no idea how it happened (no I never had dirty, sand or keys in my pocket) and I hadn't done anything physical with it that may have caused it.

Either way, called apple support, the lady on the phone reserved me a brand new 256 silver at my local apple store (no idea how they actually has some, this was Monday night), went to the Apple store and they swapped it no questions asked.

Really does make me wonder why they made such a big deal about this glass being the most "durable" ever.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
I feel for the OP, I do. Having a scratched/damaged screen must suck.

But I don't buy the story of "this phone has never been in contact with anything hard or scratchy, I swear" in the face of a scratched screen. Something hard and abrasive came into contact with the phone with some force. Glass doesn't just scratch itself.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
I feel for the OP, I do. Having a scratched/damaged screen must suck.

But I don't buy the story of "this phone has never been in contact with anything hard or scratchy, I swear" in the face of a scratched screen. Something hard and abrasive came into contact with the phone with some force. Glass doesn't just scratch itself.

Welcome to MacRumors...

Where screens scratch themselves, phones bend it like Beckham, wet themselves and arbitrarily jump off/out of tables/laps/counters/pockets/hands, without anyone seeing them!

Did I miss anything?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Would a phone get scratched with a few grains of sand in a loose pocket? Or would it need some pressure it into the screen?

cwilliams706

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Columbus, GA
My wife tends to keep her cellphone in her purse, which is the main reason why I installed a screen protector on her device. I did the same thing for mine and my nephew’s (he’s using an iPhone 8).

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Your first mistake was assuming that past performance is indicative of present results. Your second mistake was not properly protecting your device, and then being dismayed that damage occurred.
[doublepost=1510173376][/doublepost]
Would a phone get scratched with a few grains of sand in a loose pocket? Or would it need some pressure it into the screen?
Can scratch by contact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.