Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No the pad did not do it either.

It is done, you just need to move on. Put a screen protector on it to hide it is you wish, I do not think you will be able to get used to it without.

Hope all is going good for you! Have a great weekend.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
No the pad did not do it either.

It is done, you just need to move on. Put a screen protector on it to hide it is you wish, I do not think you will be able to get used to it without.

Hope all is going good for you! Have a great weekend.
Idk what scratched with a temperglass it hid half of it but it still shows on the black borders the scratch

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Alex,

From my understanding, you are on iUP correct? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about the scratches on the screen or on the bezels. They aren't going to care about those scratches on your screen when you trade it in. Put a screen protector on it and move on.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Alex,

From my understanding, you are on iUP correct? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about the scratches on the screen or on the bezels. They aren't going to care about those scratches on your screen when you trade it in. Put a screen protector on it and move on.

Right, Apple won’t look for a minute hairline scratch thats barely visible to the eye, the issue raised is because the OP cares about something rather insignificant that is susceptible with any iPhone display.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
The prepad could of scratch it but there was no sand to begin with
Whether something can be scratched or not is scientifically determined by the Mohs Hardness Scale. It is not an opinion that a cloth cannot scratch glass, it is a fact. The only way a scratch can occur is if some material with the same or higher hardness comes in contact with the glass. That means some type of sand or something else harder was on the cloth when it was used. Sand is very common and could easily have gotten in there somewhere. Or maybe it happened somewhere else and you only first noticed it when you added the protector because you would have been looking more closely at the screen.

iPhones also have an anti-fingerprint coating which could also possibly get scratched. It has a lower hardness than glass, so it might happen more easily. You could be seeing a scratch on this instead.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I had a similar experience with my iPhone 6. It scratched within hours.

I think it has to do with coating. The coating is softer on some units than others.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iPhones also have an anti-fingerprint coating which could also possibly get scratched. It has a lower hardness than glass, so it might happen more easily. You could be seeing a scratch on this instead.

Its known as the oleophobic coating. Its naturally Organic and will eventually dissipate with everyday usage. It’s actually very easy to scratch the oleophobic coating during its initial usage, in which case the scratch can slightly fade depending how deep it is and the user can also use the screen protector to hide it if it’s intrusive.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Whether something can be scratched or not is scientifically determined by the Mohs Hardness Scale. It is not an opinion that a cloth cannot scratch glass, it is a fact. The only way a scratch can occur is if some material with the same or higher hardness comes in contact with the glass. That means some type of sand or something else harder was on the cloth when it was used. Sand is very common and could easily have gotten in there somewhere. Or maybe it happened somewhere else and you only first noticed it when you added the protector because you would have been looking more closely at the screen.

It the coating I guess but only three weeks with this replacement how can it be

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I had the same exact thing happen with my phone. Difference is.... I didn't blame the phone. I blamed myself. I added a screen protector to my iPhone X. It can't scratch itself.... it has to encounter something. A soft pocket didn't do that. I was my clothes with each wear.... but I don't pretend that there is no way my phone could never become scratched.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
I think Apple made a miscalculation in this year's glass. My iPhone 8 got a few noticeable scratches within a couple of weeks of usage while my 6S was spotless after 2 years. Knowing this I bought a screen protector for my X and installed it on day 1. Best $10 spent on a phone IMHO.

This. Definitely a weaker coating. I was shocked to find a minor scratch on my 8 plus just one month after purchase even though my storage habits had not changed from previous iPhones (my iPhone 4 and 6 are scratch-free and I've never used a screen protector). Oh well, you live n learn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This. Definitely a weaker coating. I was shocked to find a minor scratch on my 8 plus just one month after purchase even though my storage habits had not changed from previous iPhones (my iPhone 4 and 6 are scratch-free and I've never used a screen protector). Oh well, you live n learn

Technically, We don’t know that it’s a ‘weaker’ coating, it could be a thinner version applied of the oleophobic coating.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
screen scratches after 4 days bring it back
You’re still in the return period
A screen protector is a must these days and AppleCare is advisable since the price of fixing the iPhone X without it are costly

bdemirdover

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2018
I bought an iPhone X from Apple Store Bologna. And i realised that there was a scratch on notch part. Since I’m still inside the 14 days return period, is it possible to return this device and get a new one without telling them any reason? How does the system works?They pay back to my credit card and I make a new purchase or something else?thanks.
screen scratches after 4 days bring it back
You’re still in the return period
A screen protector is a must these days and AppleCare is advisable since the price of fixing the iPhone X without it are costly

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
I bought an iPhone X from Apple Store Bologna. And i realised that there was a scratch on notch part. Since I’m still inside the 14 days return period, is it possible to return this device and get a new one without telling them any reason? How does the system works?They pay back to my credit card and I make a new purchase or something else?thanks.

I got mine replaced for free via apple care but my phone had other issue now I have temper glass

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
I got my iPhone X replaced at the Apple Store. Upon coming home, I noticed a pretty deep scratch in the center of the screen. I didn't really check it at the store because I was told it was a new phone. I went back the next morning and they were adamant that they would not replace it. I had to speak to 2 different managers and cause a scene before they agreed to replace the screen.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Hintz

macrumors newbie
Same here; I've contacted Apple to see whether the organization knows about the iPhone X screen scratch issue. It seems like a pattern. I'm obviously one-sided in judging its seriousness. I have not yet gone to the Genius Bar to perceive what Apple says in the store.

bdemirdover

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2018
Finally i got mine replaced. The staff at Bologna Apple Store was so nice and kind. They replaced my device and gave me an unopened box. Also they put a screen protector free of charge. Because i has purchased one with my first device.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I have always put my phone in the same pocket with my lighter. Keys, cards, and change in my other pocket.

In my jeans, my phone goes forward in my pocket, while my lighter sits next to the phone towards the back of my pocket.

Has always worked well, and never any damage. I’ve done this since the before the first iPhone was released. And since.

Various Android, Windows Mobile, flip phones, smart phones, and 3 iPhones (Original, 5, and 7).

All have been eventually retired (except the 7 I still use) without a scratch, dent, or any other cosmetic blemish.

On smartphones, I always apply a thin clear plastic film cover over the screen.

On iPhones, I use a cheap plastic or rubber shell case around the sides and back, and the thin plastic screen film cover.

Just gives it some grip. The cases are perhaps as thick as 3 or 4 sheets of paper.

I’ve found it sufficiently protected for accidental drops (including drops on their faces), intentional throws where I’ve been too lazy to walk to where I want the phone to be, and I frequently use my hips and thighs to push against heavy things to move them, and yet no damage to the phones.

I am obviously not excessively careful. But I find the minimal level of protection that I put my phones in, to be sufficient.

My iPhones are the only phones I’ve ever put inside a case (even though it’s a minimal case). I do it more for grip than anything else. iPhones are the only phones I’ve owned that always felt like I was holding butter.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
iPhone X is glass and more likely to scratch. This iPhone needs a screen protector as well as a case
AppleCare would also be a good idea

TechJunk1e

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2018
Lol no way that happened with “normal use” in 4 days. I don’t even use a case on my phone don’t baby it in anyway in the months that I’ve had it and there’s nothing even approaching that. No one is buying that story.

Tonyochs

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018
Yes, I am a bit upset about this. I just got the iPhone XS Max and the screen has scratches all over it which I can not buff out. Smh this has never happened with any iPhone that I have had in the past. Just a warning too... Don’t get the 6th Gen iPad. The edges they have on it start digging into your hands as you use it for a long period of time and you have to set it down flat. You may think.... Why don’t they get a screen protector for the iPhone or a cover for the iPad so he doesn’t have to hold the edges. One should not have to do these simple things when they purchase a product like this. Apple is designing their things horribly. And a lot of people should understand that these companies do it so that you surely get the next one or spend more money. I’m sorry to sound like a pessimist but it is really sad and I am super upset because I have been a faithful apple customer forever as many apple users have been. Unfortunately, I really think it’s time to go with another phone company..... :(
So this happened - screen is basically ruined in 4 days of normal use. These grooves can be felt not just by a nail, but with a naked fingertip, so I assume this is not an oleophobic coating that got damaged - it's the glass itself.

I must say I've never used a screen protector of any form and never had ANY scratches on all of my previous iPhones since 3G. The last owned one - 7 plus - was constantly dropped in sand, mud, snow, rocks and dirty pockets for half a year - no dings or abrasions are present.

And before you say that I have sand im my pockets or other abrasive stuff - no I do not, I keep my clothes perfectly clean :)

I will try to contact some of the Apple Authorised Service Centers today with this problem, as I don't have any official ones in Moscow, and I'm also hoping to receive any kind of help and advice from here too!

Two deep grooves on the right side of the screen:
View attachment 733570

Tons of micro-abrasions in the top right corner:
View attachment 733572

Half year old and literally abused 7 plus VS 4 day old X:
View attachment 733571

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.