Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I think Apple made a miscalculation in this year's glass. My iPhone 8 got a few noticeable scratches within a couple of weeks of usage while my 6S was spotless after 2 years. Knowing this I bought a screen protector for my X and installed it on day 1. Best $10 spent on a phone IMHO.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Some may experience this and some won’t. But in the future, maybe you want to consider a protector.

Yep... and when I bring up my $8 bumpered case with $20 glass screen protector people be like "ZOMG but that's ugly! It's not how the phone is meant to be enjoyed!"

To which I reply... not nearly as ugly as a phone that is scratched with dents, dings and and/or a cracked screen.

What's sad is Apple will probably allow the OP to return the phone although it is CLEARLY his fault that his phone got scratched.

Maybe someday Apple will stop accepting BS returns for user damage and then maybe... just maybe... people will protect their $1000 device like it's a $1000 device.
[doublepost=1510177506][/doublepost]
I spoke to an Apple employee yesterday and if you have Apple Care + you can have the screen replaced twice for $29 dollars each time for any accidental damage - including scratches - basically the cost of a screen protector, that’s why I’m not using a screen protector 1) Never had an issue with screen scratches on my iPhone 2) I work in an office 3) The cost of the screen protector is almost as much, if not the same as a full screen replacement.

AppleCare+ really takes the stress out of owning an iPhone.

You have to remember, the real cost is $260, not $60 for those two replacements. You had to buy Applecare in the first place. The two years manufacturers warranty is still a bonus, but you lose any accidental coverage after those first two replacements.

Exactly this.

My glass screen protector was $20. You can't tell it's on the phone... feels the same as the iPhone glass... and $20 is a whole lot less than $260.

I don't have AppleCare. I've never bought it. I'll spend a few dollars on a bumpered case to go with my screen protector and save all that money. Every year.

It's flawless for resale. Every time.

Reactions: pat500000

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Your first mistake was assuming that past performance is indicative of present results. Your second mistake was not properly protecting your device, and then being dismayed that damage occurred.
[doublepost=1510173376][/doublepost]
Can scratch by contact.

Interesting...but wow.

I do have a dedicated phone pocket in my jeans, and my left pocket so no risk of scratching on the rivets on the coin pocket, but you can never be completely sure what’s in your pocket even when you’re careful

Reactions: Apple_Robert

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Yep... and when I bring up my $8 bumpered case with $20 glass screen protector people be like "ZOMG but that's ugly! It's not how the phone is meant to be enjoyed!"

To which I reply... not nearly as ugly as a phone that is scratched with dents, dings and and/or a cracked screen.

What's sad is Apple will probably allow the OP to return the phone although it is CLEARLY his fault that his phone got scratched.

Maybe someday Apple will stop accepting BS returns for user damage and then maybe... just maybe... people will protect their $1000 device like it's a $1000 device.
[doublepost=1510177506][/doublepost]

Exactly this.

My glass screen protector was $20. You can't tell it's on the phone... feels the same as the iPhone glass... and $20 is a whole lot less than $260.

I don't have AppleCare. I've never bought it. I'll spend a few dollars on a bumpered case to go with my screen protector and save all that money. Every year.

It's flawless for resale. Every time.
Plus...bad resell value if it is all scratched up or dent.

Reactions: 44267547

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
It’s that horrible dilemma about keeping it looking pristine for the next person who buys it, by making it look horrible by covering it up for yourself

Actually has nothing to do with that.

8-2.jpg 8-1.jpg

Here's my 8 Plus with the glass screen protector and the bumpered case that also protects the rear of the phone.

Not what I consider to be "all covered up"... we aren't talking about an Otterbox here.

It's called protecting my $1000 phone. I honestly could give 2 @(*@&s about the next person who buys it... but when it comes to getting more in a resale... that's just a perk that comes from me taking care of my device.

Could I run naked and keep it in pristine condition? Probably. It never goes in a pocket... it's always on my car seat, desk, or coffee table when I'm not holding it.

But... for $25-$30 why not protect it? That's a small price to pay for piece of mind in knowing that if I do drop it (which has happened dozens of times on the concrete floors at work over the last 3 years with this type of case) that it won't be damaged.

Thanks... and have yourself a great day. :)

P.S.

Never bought Applecare either. Haven't had a reason to. :)

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
My 8 came with micro scratches right out of the box, on the back of the device. I had already installed a front screen protector as per usual, but had to also buy one for the back, which detracts from the look and feel of the lovely glass back :( but it’s better than getting more micro scratches ;):p

jmann

macrumors 604
Mine is scratched already too. A small one right in the middle of the screen I flipped the phone on the desk and it hit some nail clippers I had sitting there. Luckily you can only see the scratch in the light at an angle with the screen off. It's not bad. But it's the first iPhone screen that I've ever scratched. I don't use screen protectors.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
The bottoms of eithwr X will scratch just from every day use like putting the lightning cable in, Going in and out of jeans, etc.

However the reason I'm switching to the space gray is I use apples silicon cases and my phone is just always exposed and I definitely think the silver model even with care will end up with plenty of scratches. And that's the one area of the phone where you really can't polish out because of the speaker grill.

All in all either phone needs TLC because stainless steel is just very soft and super easy to scratch.

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
My wife tends to keep her cellphone in her purse, which is the main reason why I installed a screen protector on her device. I did the same thing for mine and my nephew’s (he’s using an iPhone 8).

I usually do as well but it gets its very own pocket (usually a suede lined or microfiber pocket) or its very own pouch/wristlet inside my purse. My phone is spoiled. I still put a screen protector and case on it because things happen: my phone does not stay in my purse 24/7!

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
My X arrives tomorrow, and if it's anything like what I did to my 6 (when it was brand new) it's that i'll drop it and destroy the screen.

It's amusing how many people comment on it, always good for a conversation about broken screens and $1000 devices. It's not like the cracks affect the functionality in any way (unless you broke the digitiser too...), An intact phone is just another boring phone like everyone else's.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
No it won't. Terrible advice. If there is extensive cosmetic damage you'll be required to pay the deductible.

I don't know what your talking about if you break the screen and have AppleCare+ you can pay the deductible and get it fixed.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't know what your talking about if you break the screen and have AppleCare+ you can pay the deductible and get it fixed.

You don’t know what I’m talking about because you chose to shoot first and ask questions later. If you had spent 2 seconds to look at what I was responding to you’d have discovered another poster suggested to make the damaged iPhone inoperable because then Apple would fix at no charge. That is incorrect. Apple would charge a deductible.

So now you know what I’m talking about.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I already have a few pretty nice scratches near the lightning port of my silver X. Had one or 7 adult beverages on Saturday night and kept missing the port whilst trying to plug my phone in, in the dark.

Wireless charging ftw
[doublepost=1510241569][/doublepost]
Actually has nothing to do with that.

View attachment 733754 View attachment 733757

Here's my 8 Plus with the glass screen protector and the bumpered case that also protects the rear of the phone.

Not what I consider to be "all covered up"... we aren't talking about an Otterbox here.

It's called protecting my $1000 phone. I honestly could give 2 @(*@&s about the next person who buys it... but when it comes to getting more in a resale... that's just a perk that comes from me taking care of my device.

Could I run naked and keep it in pristine condition? Probably. It never goes in a pocket... it's always on my car seat, desk, or coffee table when I'm not holding it.

But... for $25-$30 why not protect it? That's a small price to pay for piece of mind in knowing that if I do drop it (which has happened dozens of times on the concrete floors at work over the last 3 years with this type of case) that it won't be damaged.

Thanks... and have yourself a great day. :)

P.S.

Never bought Applecare either. Haven't had a reason to. :)

I feel you dawg. I have a clear spigen case for my X and just applied a screen protector on it yesterday. I've never been one for covering up my iPhones. Typically rock them naked but this one is just too expensive. Top resale dollar also helps....

Reactions: TravisPNW

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
Had my 8+ from launch (close enough). Uses the same glass as an X, and haven’t had one scratch yet. Not even micro scratches which I usually get on my other iPhones. Never use screen protectors.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Had my 8+ from launch (close enough). Uses the same glass as an X, and haven’t had one scratch yet. Not even micro scratches which I usually get on my other iPhones. Never use screen protectors.

you must take care of your phones.

my gf has had her 8 since launch and the screen already looks like it's been through a gulf war.

feeth

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
My X has a few scratches too, yes I keep other stuff in my pocket the same way I did with my 6 and 7+ for the last 2 years and never a scratch.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
you must take care of your phones.

my gf has had her 8 since launch and the screen already looks like it's been through a gulf war.

Yep... I really don't get how people will drop $1000+ on a phone and then go cheese mode when it comes to protecting it with a case and screen protector.

"ZOMG but cases make it so ugly! The phone is covered and you can't enjoy it!"

2left.jpg 8-1.jpg

There's my 8 Plus with a glass screen protector and bumpered case. Total cost... about $30.

As I said yesterday we aren't talking about Otterboxes here... in no way does it deter from my use or enjoyment of the phone... and it's protected on all surfaces from damage.

Seems like a no brainer really.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
You don’t know what I’m talking about because you chose to shoot first and ask questions later. If you had spent 2 seconds to look at what I was responding to you’d have discovered another poster suggested to make the damaged iPhone inoperable because then Apple would fix at no charge. That is incorrect. Apple would charge a deductible.

So now you know what I’m talking about.

Wow pretty grumpy you internet much?

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I think the screen on my gf's 8 is just as robust as any other iPhone 8 screen. It's just that the inside of a woman's purse is like battle zone for a phones screen
[doublepost=1510247440][/doublepost]
Yep... I really don't get how people will drop $1000+ on a phone and then go cheese mode when it comes to protecting it with a case and screen protector.

"ZOMG but cases make it so ugly! The phone is covered and you can't enjoy it!"

View attachment 734010 View attachment 734011

There's my 8 Plus with a glass screen protector and bumpered case. Total cost... about $30.

As I said yesterday we aren't talking about Otterboxes here... in no way does it deter from my use or enjoyment of the phone... and it's protected on all surfaces from damage.

Seems like a no brainer really.

yup. Reason that she doesn't care is that the phone cost her like $100 CAD after carrier subsidies (I was able to negotiate a nice deal with my carrier on her behalf). If she dropped $1k plus on a phone like I just did, you can bet damn sure she would be taking better care of it

My X setup looks almost exactly to yours, without the bumpers on the corners. Minimalistic yet offers some substantial protection. Best way to go if you ask me.

Also, the otterbox cases are monstrosities. I couldn't subject my phone to that unless I lived at a construction site.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Keys wont scratch the iphone x
Well, this wasn’t keys for sure.
Anyway keys normally won’t scatch on light touches, but i can imagine they do more or less inside a tight jeans together with the iPhone, e.g. while sitting and squeezing them against each other.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
FWIW my iPad Pro 10.5 has micro scratches and I treat that the same as my 8+ which has none. In fact my 8+ goes in my pocket, coat, etc etc. I still think there is variances with the glass and coating, same as with the oled/lcd panels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.