Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wow pretty grumpy you internet much?

Yes, correct. Stupid, baseless attack posts by people who don't even bother to understand the context of the post they are attacking make me grumpy. Yes. Hey -- you got something right! Clap. Clap. Clap. Go tell you mommy you deserve a cookie.

mgauss7

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Miami
The reality is this, something caused those scratches to appear. Something either rubbed or had contact to cause the scratches. Either you were aware of it or you were not, but regardless, they just don't appear without having some type of impact. And just because you're comparing your iPhone 7+ versus the iPhone X, every situation is different and what could have impacted the display and how it scratched initially.

Those micro abrasions at the top right corner, look like the dislay rubbed up against a hard surface.
Your friends played with it !

ilovemykid3302012

Suspended
Sep 19, 2017
So this happened - screen is basically ruined in 4 days of normal use. These grooves can be felt not just by a nail, but with a naked fingertip, so I assume this is not an oleophobic coating that got damaged - it's the glass itself.

I must say I've never used a screen protector of any form and never had ANY scratches on all of my previous iPhones since 3G. The last owned one - 7 plus - was constantly dropped in sand, mud, snow, rocks and dirty pockets for half a year - no dings or abrasions are present.

And before you say that I have sand im my pockets or other abrasive stuff - no I do not, I keep my clothes perfectly clean :)

I will try to contact some of the Apple Authorised Service Centers today with this problem, as I don't have any official ones in Moscow, and I'm also hoping to receive any kind of help and advice from here too!

Two deep grooves on the right side of the screen:
View attachment 733570

Tons of micro-abrasions in the top right corner:
View attachment 733572

Half year old and literally abused 7 plus VS 4 day old X:
View attachment 733571
Looks like it was dropped, no offense.

Reactions: iapplelove

alyabiev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Moscow
Thought I should post and update here :)

I've brought my device to the local Authorized Service Centre with another occured problem - it started creaking and popping all around the screen and back panel even just applying a lightest touch - aaaand.. was granted with a shiny new iPhone in one week!

BUT THERE'S AN EXCEPTION - new one had a FREAKING 1mm x 1mm DUST PARTICLE RIGHT IN THE CENTER of the rear camera housing under the protective glass. So there's coming another long week of waiting for another exchange.

There are no words to describe my disappointment of QC these days at Apple:(

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
My 8 is great - no scratches at all. It's clear that there is large variability from phone to phone (even of the same model) on how easy they scratch. It's like a scratch lottery...

I’ve been throwing my naked iPhone X around like I have owed it for years now. Not one single blemish or micro scratch. In fact my 6 plus scratched easier.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I experienced this when I bought my brand new SE. It became imperative to me to be concious of where I put my iPhone since I got my $1,000+ iPhone X. No longer will it share a pocket with ANYTHING (sometimes I would accidentally put my SE with my keys). I even refuse to put my iPhone X in jeans pockets; Ill use a shirt pocket, jacket pocket, or carry it by hand the whole time.

Last edited:
Reactions: alyabiev

MrInquestador

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2015
So this happened - screen is basically ruined in 4 days of normal use. These grooves can be felt not just by a nail, but with a naked fingertip, so I assume this is not an oleophobic coating that got damaged - it's the glass itself.

I must say I've never used a screen protector of any form and never had ANY scratches on all of my previous iPhones since 3G. The last owned one - 7 plus - was constantly dropped in sand, mud, snow, rocks and dirty pockets for half a year - no dings or abrasions are present.

And before you say that I have sand im my pockets or other abrasive stuff - no I do not, I keep my clothes perfectly clean :)

I will try to contact some of the Apple Authorised Service Centers today with this problem, as I don't have any official ones in Moscow, and I'm also hoping to receive any kind of help and advice from here too!

View attachment 733570

View attachment 733572

View attachment 733571
Gosh. Now I don’t want to use my phone at all.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA

View attachment 733570

View attachment 733572

View attachment 733571

Finding it hard to believe that you’ve dropped all those phones in the manner you suggest without EVER suffering even the slightest ding.

Bottom line, use a screen protector. They are cheap enough now and they don’t affect touch sensitivity.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
My 8 is great - no scratches at all. It's clear that there is large variability from phone to phone (even of the same model) on how easy they scratch. It's like a scratch lottery...

No, it’s clear that certain circumstances that may or may not be apparent to the user scratch identical screens and some do not.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
No, it’s clear that certain circumstances that may or may not be apparent to the user scratch identical screens and some do not.
All screens are not identical. There are manufacturing variabilities. One of my iPhones (out of the 10 I have purchased) had the same problem being discussed here. It scratched way more easily than it should have, and even though I babied it, it had thousands of little scratches after only a few months. All of my other iPhone screens have been pretty much flawless in the same time-frame.

Reactions: Simacca

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
does anyone knows if the screenprotectors applied by staff at the Apple Store are full body screen protectors? I dont like the ones that dont cover the whole front.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
So this happened - screen is basically ruined in 4 days of normal use.

If that’s ruined... I’ll take it. Free of charge.

Wrong.

But if these are glass scratches, you clearly abused your phone. No getting around it. This isn’t a defect or glass issue - it’s use issue.

Reactions: chabig

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
All screens are not identical. There are manufacturing variabilities. One of my iPhones (out of the 10 I have purchased) had the same problem being discussed here. It scratched way more easily than it should have, and even though I babied it, it had thousands of little scratches after only a few months. All of my other iPhone screens have been pretty much flawless in the same time-frame.

I’m not saying you are not telling the truth, but your case is purely anecdotal. The average iPhone X is NOT more prone to scratches than previous iPhones and that’s what I meant. Perhaps some units are faulty in this regard, but if that is so, it happens every generation. And every generation someone claims that the current generation scratches more easily than previous ones.
[doublepost=1513114942][/doublepost]
Use a case and a screen protector.

That's what I did, and in fact always do. My phones are in pristine condition because of the protection

I never use screen protectors because they are not needed with normal use and they degrade optical clarity (avoid keys and sand and similar stuff in the same pockets with your phone and you’ll be fine). Gorilla glass has been very durable and resistant for the past several years. My iPhones and iPads are always in pristine condition even after years of use. Not even micro scratches.

Last edited:

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I’m not saying you are not telling the truth, but your case is purely anecdotal. The average iPhone X is NOT more prone to scratches than previous iPhones and that’s what I meant. Perhaps some units are faulty in this regard, but if that is so, it happens every generation. And every generation someone claims that the current generation scratches more easily than previous ones.
[doublepost=1513114942][/doublepost]

I never use screen protectors because they are not needed with normal use and they degrade optical clarity (avoid keys and sand and similar stuff in the same pockets with your phone and you’ll be fine). Gorilla glass has been very durable and resistant for the past several years. My iPhones and iPads are always in pristine condition even after years of use. Not even micro scratches.

I agree - there are duds out there of every model. I think the number of duds varies from model to model, and that probably defines how big the inevitable "the new iPhone screen scratches too easily!!" thread becomes. I just find it annoying when people come into the thread and tell everyone that they are just abusing their phones, because I know that in many cases (including mine), that the iPhone IS the problem, not the user. And it is very frustrating to own one of these phones, because Apple will generally not replace it unless you are very lucky.

Reactions: aevan

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
My replacement iPhone used three weeks scratched afte me replacing my temper glass I think what ever dust or lint that was there Scratched my screen how horrible Apple glass is

Attachments

• 37A9DEF1-0951-4142-9789-1AEF7236A4FC.jpeg
    37A9DEF1-0951-4142-9789-1AEF7236A4FC.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Do not think the X is easier to scratch than past iPhone I have owned. Never used a screen protector and never had a scratch on any of my phones. Hate screen protectors.

Also this thread is old but I know you are looking for a solution, Alex.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Do not think the X is easier to scratch than past iPhone I have owned. Never used a screen protector and never had a scratch on any of my phones. Hate screen protectors.

Also this thread is old but I know you are looking for a solution, Alex.
Idk how some dust/lint could of scratch my iPhone I”m shocked after cleaning with prep pad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.