Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
Agreed. These diatribes about how you can’t be productive with an iPad are just so tiresome and inaccurate. I could do the same ridiculous thing wrt a MacBook.

Good luck using a MacBook to take handwritten notes in class or meetings.
Good luck creating diagrams or annotating drawings in the field with a Mackbook.
Good luck taking photos and marking them up with a MacBook.
Good luck having customers sign contracts on a MacBook.
Good luck reading important documents on a MacBook while standing up on a commuter train.

The cheapest MacBook costs $1,299. I have a base 2017 iPad and use it with a keyboard case and cheap fine point stylus.....the whole rig cost me a little over $400. It handles all of my day to day productivity tasks just fine. If I have some real heavy lifting to do, I use a desktop with a full sized monitor, keyboard and mouse. So, why do I need laptop?? Maybe I don’t. Perhaps there are people that do need a laptop....that’s good too.

As for the question at hand, I think there are a lot of people that could get by just fine with an iPhone only for mobile computing. But, they will probably want access to some kind of device with a larger screen and keyboard for times when they have lots of typing etc.. Maybe an iPhone X’s Max + iMac would be a good combo. This set up would work particularly well for people that do most of their content creation in an office or at home.....rather than on the go.
I agree with the iPad being better for these things. But a lot of this can be pretty easily done on the Macbook Pro too. And once the Macbook Pro also is able to run iOS apps, its probably not long until they work on more touchpad gestures to effectively use the apps.

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
I believe that our eyes (at least mine) can focus in an area no larger than the screen of xs max held at about 40cm.

Anything larger than that might likely represents the need to pan around due to non-ideal user interface

what I mean by that?
side by side on ipad? it is great, but now that I can swipe on the bottom and quickly change apps, I don’t feel a big need for side by side app viewing option on my iphone (exceptions exist however)

the same probably applies for other apps

one more example: you want to write something and the screen keyboard covers the whole suface or you need to rely on a bulky external keyboard? how about improving the dictation function and negating altogether the need for a virtual or physical keyboard? let alone the increase by at least a factor of 3 of the dictation speed.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Replacing one's ipad with an iPhone Max seems unlikely but possible, depending on what kind of work you do.

For me, 80% of my work requires only MS Office, email, and web. Last year, I installed the MS Office apps for iOS on my 10.5" iPad Pro, and with the Dropbox app I could access all of the files on my "real" computer. Since then, I never bring my laptop when traveling, just my iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard.

The MS Office iOS apps work on an iPhone in landscape orientation. So you could create a smaller version of my travel setup with a Plus/Max iPhone on a stand and a portable bluetooth keyboard. You'd have a lot less screen to work with, of course. For some people, depending on their work flow, this would be a deal-breaker. For others, it might be a worthwhile tradeoff to achieve extreme portability.

When the Max I ordered arrives, I'll play around with this.

But even if it works adequately, I'm inclined to continue bringing my iPad Pro on trips. It's so easy to travel with, being so thin and light, even when I absolutely must travel as light as possible.

The fact that we're even talking about whether a Plus/Max iPhone could replace an iPad (which for some of us can replace a laptop in some circumstances) is a testament to how far the smartphone has come. It amazes me how much we can do with a single device that fits in our pocket - camera, GPS navigator, email, web browsing, photo viewing and editing, iPod-like music player, step tracker, scientific calculator, e-reader, games, watch movies/TV, order tons of crap I don't really need from Amazon, access & view MS Office files on my laptop, catch up on the news or sports scores, and 100s more things. And it's a phone, too.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I use my XS Max more especially at work rather than going to my cellular iPad Pro 10.5. However, I still see use cases where the iPad will dominate. I feel where the OP is coming from because the Max is way more convenient to use and video is more than acceptable on that screen

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
the XS Max is here

I will start using it and compare it against 10.5 and 12.9 iPP

I will keep you updated my friends

my first impressions are very positive

laying in the couch or bed and surfing the web is a very good experience. The ipad requires a special stand for me in order to do it, while the iphone is easily held with the hand (I cannot do that with ipad).

I have a big library of scientific articles that I need to be studying, so that is the big bet for me. Does the XS Max allow for a good reading experience of pdf articles?

In regards to typing, I am doing the thumb typing and it is not bad. The thumbs do not have to move much and it is much more convenient than any ipad thumb typing experience (on portrait) or ipad finger typing on landscape mode. The iphone XS Max thumbtyping with both hands in conjunction with apple dictation seems a very good experience

I also tried briefly the Adonit stylus to do some basic drawing or photo editing. It is actually good for that. Unfortunately, these styluses do not offer an apple pencil level of precision, so hand writing with stylus is disappointing

As I said, I commute a lot and I move a lot during my work and my leisure time. I have a lot of short dead time between activities that I would like to take advantage. The XS Max seems to carry the potential to increase my productivity. The iphone X (and especially its “swipe on the bottom to change app” functionality) definitely increased my productivity. Hopefully the bigger screen on XS Max will provide me with even further productivity boosts

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Don’t even think about it.
There is simply no comparison even between iPad Mini experience and iPhone XS Max.

iPhone XS Max will always be an oversized iPhone.

It’s still way too small to watch a movie or read something comfortably,things that iPad mini can handle appropriately.

I bought one snd returned it,because I have an iPhone X and the cons(being huge ,bulky and not pocket friendly) outweighed the pros(a little bigger screen).
No way it can replace an iPad.NEVER.

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
the trial continues

As I said above, a main user case for me is to read scientific articles.

Well the column width and therefore the size of the letters is the same when you have single column on iphone max vs two columns in ipad 10.5.

Although the iphone requires some extra panning and zooming, the use of modern software which allows the automatic zooming to fit the column in the screen width, makes the panning-zoom process very easy.

Therefore, I am glad to say that my initial pdf viewing experience with iphone max goes very smoothly.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
the trial continues

As I said above, a main user case for me is to read scientific articles.

Well the column width and therefore the size of the letters is the same when you have single column on iphone max vs two columns in ipad 10.5.

Although the iphone requires some extra panning and zooming, the use of modern software which allows the automatic zooming to fit the column in the screen width, makes the panning-zoom process very easy.

Therefore, I am glad to say that my initial pdf viewing experience with iphone max goes very smoothly.

Glad it’s working out for you so far. Always good to root out redundancy where possible.

I realized a lot of times small screens are just as good as big screens if the content is formatted properly. It may just take one extra scroll of the thumb, very insignificant. Unfortunately, that is a big IF since not all content adjusts format for small screens (eg. PDF documents, old websites, etc). Otherwise, it’s really just when you get into using multi windows that big screens make a big difference.

Edit: speaking mainly in terms of text-based content. For dealing with images, of course bigger is usually better.

Last edited:

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
I originally got my Xs MAX with an idea of leaving my iPad at home on some trips. I have a foldable bluetooth keyboard that I like (I often have to do lots text/typing which is not fun without a keyboard).

But I found the Max just too heavy for me for everyday use (its main use is a phone) so I returned it and got a regular Xs. I can use it in a pinch but my iPad is going back in my travel case...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
After debating with getting the XS or the XS Max for the advantage to use the Max for things like movies I decided it is better to get a bigger screen iPad and use the XS as a more pocketable iPhone. I don't think the iPhone Max screen is big enough to want to replace my iPad usage with it.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Since Apple released the plus iPhone and with XsMax 512 GB now I have found myself not needing iPad anymore. So, I have not upgraded my iPad 3 since then. iPad is used while I am too lazy to reach my iPhone. iPad and iPhone have pretty much similar functions due to the same iOS except for certain apps designed for iPad.
I sold my iPad 3 and used the money to buy a 7 Plus last year.

Between that and a 15in MBP, I realized I wasn't using it anymore and it was just collecting dust. Ended up being a good decision because the 7 Plus was more than enough to cover my needs of what I was using the iPad for. My XS Max is definitely enough now. I find iPads awkward because I dont really know what to use them for besides looking at pictures, movies and browsing the internet, which are things I do on my phone and laptop anyway. I never could get productive schoolwork done with it for whatever reason.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
one week with xs max

the iPad is being used only when the iphone is being charged.....
The Watch would have been better. Ditch the phone at the office or at home and just carry your iPad an wear the Watch. PDFs and the Pencil are huge benefits for keeping an iPad. I’ve had the plus size phone before and hated that thing. It’s awkward to hold, stresses pockets when you bend over to tie your shoes, if you drive a sports car with bucket seats forget about it. I’ve found the plus size of phones to just be an encumbered piece of junk to lug around. But that’s just me.

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
The Watch would have been better. Ditch the phone at the office or at home and just carry your iPad an wear the Watch. PDFs and the Pencil are huge benefits for keeping an iPad. I’ve had the plus size phone before and hated that thing. It’s awkward to hold, stresses pockets when you bend over to tie your shoes, if you drive a sports car with bucket seats forget about it. I’ve found the plus size of phones to just be an encumbered piece of junk to lug around. But that’s just me.

ipad requires a bag to carry it around

ipad requires two hands to hold it

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
While both the iPhone and iPad run iOS, there are some differences in productivity features on the two devices. For example:

• Drag and Drop
  • Floating Dock
  • Slide over
  • Keyboarding
  • Multi-tasking gestures
  • Pencil support
  • Etc..
Also, when you use certain Apps, there can be differences in features between the iPhone and iPad.

There are things I do on my iPad that I do not like to do on my iphone:

• Compose a one page email or memo
  • Markup and annotate PDFs
  • Create simple spreadsheets and slide presentation
  • Edit larger existing documents
  • Read Books
  • Take notes
  • Sketch diagrams
  • Etc..
I am not saying that these things are not possible on an large iPhone. I am just saying the experiences is immeasurably better on an iPad. Of course, there are some things that are better with a hand held device.....like using your iPhone to take pictures. Each device has its use.

Last edited:

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
hi again guys

I was waiting for years for an updated ipad mini to be able to carry it around. I got a 10.5in but it proved to be NOT so portable. It was not fitting in pockets and required from to carry a bag for it or constantly hold it in my hands. It’s use requires both hands to hold it.
So 10.5 was not a portable solution.
As I said I was waiting for an ipad mini, but I didn’t want to compromise with an outdated device.
Iphone X’s Max has basically negated my wish for a new ipad mini. The iphone Max fits easily in the pocket, can be held with one hand and it a screeen is enough for the vast majority of my use scenarios.

I still haven’t fully evaluated iphone Max vs ipad 10.5 for use inside the house.

iphone Max has definitely improved my productivity over iphone X and has definitely made my wish for new ipad mini disappear.

more to follow

PS I still feel the iOS is not fully optimized. It has come a long way and it is likely unfair to compare it with operating systems that have been out there for so many years, but I still think that Apple should have offered additional options for the more advanced users.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
hi again guys

I was waiting for years for an updated ipad mini to be able to carry it around. I got a 10.5in but it proved to be NOT so portable. It was not fitting in pockets and required from to carry a bag for it or constantly hold it in my hands. It’s use requires both hands to hold it.
So 10.5 was not a portable solution.
As I said I was waiting for an ipad mini, but I didn’t want to compromise with an outdated device.
Iphone X’s Max has basically negated my wish for a new ipad mini. The iphone Max fits easily in the pocket, can be held with one hand and it a screeen is enough for the vast majority of my use scenarios.

I still haven’t fully evaluated iphone Max vs ipad 10.5 for use inside the house.

iphone Max has definitely improved my productivity over iphone X and has definitely made my wish for new ipad mini disappear.

more to follow

PS I still feel the iOS is not fully optimized. It has come a long way and it is likely unfair to compare it with operating systems that have been out there for so many years, but I still think that Apple should have offered additional options for the more advanced users.

Would like to hear your thoughts whether a 10.5" iPad Pro is justified, as the Xs Max doesn't do everything an iPad can (split screen apps, PIP, landscape home screen, pen input).

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
Would like to hear your thoughts whether a 10.5" iPad Pro is justified, as the Xs Max doesn't do everything an iPad can (split screen apps, PIP, landscape home screen, pen input).
I have a 10.5 iPP and a 12.9

I will use them at home
[doublepost=1540382709][/doublepost]I am going on a 3 days business trip

I used to always take one of the ipads

this time I took only the iphone xs max...

I understand that this is highly dependent on the user case. What will I be using;

pixelmator for photo editing
word-excell-powerpoint
pdf
browsing

One more time I would like to make my point:
in most occasions the current limitations of iphone XS Max in comparison to ipad or even a Mac are NOT related to the display size or computing power but due to software limitations

One annoying limitation is that there are still websites that do not work well on iOS, requesting desktop site most of the times does not work

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I believe that our eyes (at least mine) can focus in an area no larger than the screen of xs max held at about 40cm.

Anything larger than that might likely represents the need to pan around due to non-ideal user interface

what I mean by that?
side by side on ipad? it is great, but now that I can swipe on the bottom and quickly change apps, I don’t feel a big need for side by side app viewing option on my iphone (exceptions exist however)

one more example: you want to write something and the screen keyboard covers the whole suface or you need to rely on a bulky external keyboard? how about improving the dictation function and negating altogether the need for a virtual or physical keyboard? let alone the increase by at least a factor of 3 of the dictation speed.

Great. Starbucks is crowded enough with people texting & typing away on their iOS devices. All we need now are all of them dictating LOUDLY into their iPhones. Lol. Nah. Not a good solution.
[doublepost=1540387319][/doublepost]
3C57D16F-7CEA-43D1-81B5-77AA94BEC9BC.jpeg
58FAF27D-4E5D-4459-A96E-4380584F86EC.jpeg
As nice as this XS Max screen size is(and it is nice)... I just can’t see it replacing an iPad for serious long term work. At least for me. I travel a lot. But the iPad takes up very little room compared to a laptop. I do all my drawing, video & photo editing & blogging on it.

I compared it size wise to my iPad mini as well as a mock up of the upcoming 10.5” iPad Pro with slimmer bezels.

I am not saying people who used to bring around an iPad, and now just bring an iPhone Xs Max are wrong. Nothing wrong with grabbing an iphone instead of an iPad for basic use. I’m just saying for me, it could never replace an iPad Pro or even an iPad mini for all I do. Like editing photos & videos or writing for a long time. Or watching movies comfortably. It just can’t. In a pinch I could edit photos on it. But not all the time. The Ipads are just so much more comfortable to work on and easier on the eyes for serious work.

* I do plan to get an iPhone Xs Max down the road, as the iPhone has replaced my dslr for all my travel photography. It is an indispensable tool. Just not the only tool I could use for what I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kung gu

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018

That's interesting. I am the other way around. I work with two monitors both at work and at home. It helps me seeing the big picture. I feel like in such small screen I could only see the details. So yeah I could see the tree, but not the forest and I need to see the forest. Then again I do wear prescription glasses and my prescription is serious enough so that might be a factor too. Also quite often I move data from one file to another. Or I need to see two files on the two screen to be able to create a third one. And yes I can use two monitors at work to do something on my iPad.

Sometimes that might be a problem, but in other cases the screen real estate is just not big enough to see the full picture. For example in my line of work I deal with timelines that cover periods of 6/9 months. There are a lot of activities there and you can't represent the whole timeline in such small screen.

what I mean by that?

I don't need split screen on phone either, but I do not like big phones. I specifically bought 4.6 inch Sony device to avoid this. I want my phone to fit in my jeans' pocket. Anything else I do not accept so having split screen on 4.6 inch display is not needed for my case.

That's true but I have to be honest here. For some people (and those people are basically any non native English speaker) dictation is far from working. I am not English native speaker. I type either in English or my native language. Siri has not even heard about my native language, let alone being able to understand what I am saying. And Siri does not understand me when I speak English. What I am saying is that for a lot of people dictation is far from being useful.

For native speakers I do agree that it makes sense, but there are places where you can't use it. I can't use dictation for work emails in a crowded coffee shop. Forget about disturbing others, this is not good from security point of view. This is sensitive information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.