Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
iPad has replaced for me the laptop/desktop for the 95% of what I was doing on them. There are still some software that is only available on MacOS, but as I said that is only 5% of my workflow.

Given the much bigger screen of the new iPhone Max, I will explore replacing the iPad with an iPhone. I understand it might not be an 100% solution, but if it proves to be over 90%, then it meets my definition that it replaces iPad. I understand there will still be some niche uses of the iPad, such as the use of iPad-only software (think of affinity photo).

So, basically my “electronic” evolution is (dates suggest the device I was considering as my main productivity instrument)
Desktop 1990s
Laptop 2003
iPad 2016
iPhone 2018???

What do you think?

I never understood how a large phone can replace a tablet. Even an iPad Mini has a significantly larger screen than an iPhone XS Max/Plus. I guess if you’re only using your tablet to surf the web - but if you’re ok with surfing on a phone screen, then I don’t see how a “regular” X/XS screen is much worse.

Of course, depends on what you’re using your iPad for, but reading magazines and comics is not the best experience on a phone, but is great on an iPad. Movies are also better. Image-heavy websites. Of course, for reading email or twitter, a phone is a more mobile, and even a better option.

Then, there are apps. iPad apps are becoming more like full desktop apps with every year. If you rely on these apps, you can’t use an iPhone.

Finally, what about multitasking and split-screen?

I guess when people compare numbers - a 6.5” screen does not seem that much smaller than a 7.9” iPad Mini screen - but you’re forgetting the aspect ratio. iPad Mini has a bigger surface area than it may seem and its screen is actually quite larger than the Max. And that’s the smallest iPad!

So - if you’re getting a tablet for tablet focused things - media consumption and content creation - then, no, I don’t think a phone can replace an iPad. But if you want a device for the things you usually use a phone for (email, social networks, taking photos, messaging) - then I don’t see why you’d need a tablet in the first place.

This is just my opinion, I know that a lot of people have different ones. An interesting topic :)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think the whole " 'x' as a replacement for 'y' " discussion is a bit unproductive. It's great that people find a device that suits them better than the device they're currently using, but it is so dependent upon how one uses their device that their experience is rarely transferable to another person.

I'm sure that there are people out there with iPads that could use a magic slate to replace it. :)

munsters_rqworh.jpg

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I think the whole " 'x' as a replacement for 'y' " discussion is a bit unproductive. It's great that people find a device that suits them better than the device they're currently using, but it is so dependent upon how one uses their device that their experience is rarely transferable to another person.

I'm sure that there are people out there with iPads that could use a magic slate to replace it. :)

View attachment 815234

Hah, good point.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Might as well ask if your ipad has replaced your tv.

In either scenario if the smaller can replace the larger the you never needed the larger. Not even close in size. It’s a case of preferring a smaller device.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

View attachment 815234
I LOVED THOSE THINGS!!!!
[doublepost=1547225989][/doublepost]

In either scenario if the smaller can replace the larger the you never needed the larger. Not even close in size. It’s a case of preferring a smaller device.
I always hire the smallest device possible to do the job. If I can get away with just having my cellular Apple Watch and maybe AirPods, I'll do that. If I need everything my Watch can do but also need a camera and the ability to use a lot of apps or get to Safari, I bring the iPhone. If I need a large screen and keyboard/Apple Pencil, I bring the iPad Pro. If I need something that runs Flash, I bring the Macbook Air. I always travel as light as I can and bring the device that will be most comfortable to bring for the tasks at hand. Last summer we went on a 10 day vacation to California, and it was during the busiest time of year at my job. I knew I was going to have to do some work stuff, but also wanted to check my luggage both ways and didn't want to deal with a carry-on or computer bag. All I ever had with me was my iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods. I was able to keep up with work and do everything vacation-related all on one screen. (I was on iPhone X back then--would have been nice to have the XS Max instead!)

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I always hire the smallest device possible to do the job.......I always travel as light as I can and bring the device that will be most comfortable to bring for the tasks at hand.....

"Smallest possible" is quite different from "most comfortable" depending on the context. You can prioritize smallness (portability) over comfort, but not always both.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
"Smallest possible" is quite different from "most comfortable" depending on the context. You can prioritize smallness (portability) over comfort, but not always both.
Sure--for me it's "comfortable", for someone else it's "smallest". Whatever the criteria is. I will usually defer to my iPad Pro whenever possible, but it's not always the ideal option. My wife will do everything she possibly can on her iPhone and almost never sees the need for an iPad or Mac.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I LOVED THOSE THINGS!!!!
[doublepost=1547225989][/doublepost]
I always hire the smallest device possible to do the job. If I can get away with just having my cellular Apple Watch and maybe AirPods, I'll do that. If I need everything my Watch can do but also need a camera and the ability to use a lot of apps or get to Safari, I bring the iPhone. If I need a large screen and keyboard/Apple Pencil, I bring the iPad Pro. If I need something that runs Flash, I bring the Macbook Air. I always travel as light as I can and bring the device that will be most comfortable to bring for the tasks at hand. Last summer we went on a 10 day vacation to California, and it was during the busiest time of year at my job. I knew I was going to have to do some work stuff, but also wanted to check my luggage both ways and didn't want to deal with a carry-on or computer bag. All I ever had with me was my iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods. I was able to keep up with work and do everything vacation-related all on one screen. (I was on iPhone X back then--would have been nice to have the XS Max instead!)

Thank you for helping me make my point as thats not replacing an ipad with a phone. It’s recognizing the uses for different devices. I travel with iphone only, but its not replscing any of my other devices. I’m just making do with the phone.

You still use your ipad for ipad stuff. Anyone that completely dumps an ipad for a tiny phone (yes tiny compared to an ipad) never really needed an ipad. They are replacing something they didn’t need.

In other words if someone never needed a mac pro or any mac, just used it for web surfing and email, they can easily replace it with an iphone.

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Thank you for helping me make my point as thats not replacing an ipad with a phone. It’s recognizing the uses for different devices. I travel with iphone only, but its not replscing any of my other devices. I’m just making do with the phone.

You still use your ipad for ipad stuff. Anyone that completely dumps an ipad for a tiny phone (yes tiny compared to an ipad) never really needed an ipad. They are replacing something they didn’t need.

In other words if someone never needed a mac pro or any mac, just used it for web surfing and email, they can easily replace it with an iphone.
I actually 100% agree with you--I think I'm just not saying it very well. I DO NOT agree with anyone who says a Plus/Max model iPhone is "almost as big as an iPad". I guess if you compare them to an iPad mini it's sort of getting close but still not the same thing. In my personal workflow, they all have their place, but the Mac's share of my time has dramatically decreased because of the iPad Pro (I can even do my day job from it if needed) and my iPhone's share has dramatically decreased because of the cellular Apple Watch. But at this point I could not get rid of any of them. And I wouldn't want to--I love how well they all work together in the Apple ecosystem.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I actually 100% agree with you--I think I'm just not saying it very well. I DO NOT agree with anyone who says a Plus/Max model iPhone is "almost as big as an iPad". I guess if you compare them to an iPad mini it's sort of getting close but still not the same thing. In my personal workflow, they all have their place, but the Mac's share of my time has dramatically decreased because of the iPad Pro (I can even do my day job from it if needed) and my iPhone's share has dramatically decreased because of the cellular Apple Watch. But at this point I could not get rid of any of them. And I wouldn't want to--I love how well they all work together in the Apple ecosystem.

I think it was me not wording it well. I knew your point, just making a longer statement and putting it in my reply to you. Sorry, didn’t mean to seem I was directing an argument to you.

I think some confuse the difference. It’s easy to replace something thats overkill for the job at hand, not so much replscing something thats needed.

Saludo

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Personally, despite the size of the Xs Max, I think it could only be a minimal replacement for an iPad Mini, and even that might make you miss the extra screen acreage.

I do a lot on my Max but do the importantwork on my iPad. Granted it is a 12.9".
In the past however, I had a 6s Plus and an iPad Mini and frequently used them interchangeably.

I believe the difference between a Max and, say, a 9.7" would be very noticeable and the Max would seem somewhat cramped.

However, for fine work on an Xs Max you could use the fine tip end of an Apple Pencil so your finger is not blocking your view or a fine tipped stylus. You don’t get the pressure sensitivity like an iPad Pro but I find using the Pencil on the phone handy for fine adjustments.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017

Thats so true. It is funny because even if you combine the screen of iPhone XS Max 16sq inch and iPhone 8 Plus (12.8square inch) the iPad Mini is still bigger by 4 square inch cuz iPad Mini has total of 30 square inch! it is a fact they ARE NOT close in size

Also the iPhone XS Max would be also smaller when watching a 16:9 because there would be black bars on side. What if you really have to read subtitle? You cannot read subtitle on the XS Max if you wanted a full screen it will ended up zoom making you unable to read subtitle

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Thats so true. It is funny because even if you combine the screen of iPhone XS Max 16sq inch and iPhone 8 Plus (12.8square inch) the iPad Mini is still bigger by 4 square inch cuz iPad Mini has total of 30 square inch! it is a fact they ARE NOT close in size

Also the iPhone XS Max would be also smaller when watching a 16:9 because there would be black bars on side. What if you really have to read subtitle? You cannot read subtitle on the XS Max if you wanted a full screen it will ended up zoom making you unable to read subtitle

Bingo.

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
iPad has replaced for me the laptop/desktop for the 95% of what I was doing on them. There are still some software that is only available on MacOS, but as I said that is only 5% of my workflow.

Given the much bigger screen of the new iPhone Max, I will explore replacing the iPad with an iPhone. I understand it might not be an 100% solution, but if it proves to be over 90%, then it meets my definition that it replaces iPad. I understand there will still be some niche uses of the iPad, such as the use of iPad-only software (think of affinity photo).

So, basically my “electronic” evolution is (dates suggest the device I was considering as my main productivity instrument)
Desktop 1990s
Laptop 2003
iPad 2016
iPhone 2018???

What do you think?

I’m still trying to replace the laptop with the iPad. I like the big display and full size keyboard. I went from the 7 plus to the XS, with is physically smaller. The phone was getting to large in my opinion. The XS feels perfect.

jerryleejr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
As someone contemplating doing this exact thing and ditching my iPad here’s my thoughts.
For my needs I find I’m reaching for my iPad when my phone is charging. My main use is for media consumption mostly. Even as I’m typing this on my phone my iPad is connected to the tv running Netflix. Now I was using an iPad mini and switched to the iPad Pro 10.5 last year. I’m not a fan of its size. So I’m gonna take the next couple months using an Xs Max only with my MacBook Pro on standby. My hope is by end of March a new iPad mini will be announced giving me the option of going back to an iPad if I so choose. Bottom line is there’s no right answer here only what works for us individually. And I’m not gonna criticize anyone’s choices.

JJ

Reactions: npayme and subjonas

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
I'm waiting for the day when all you need to own is an Apple Watch and an iPad. Owning an iPhone and an iPad is redundant. You pay for a similar processor twice, and you can't effectively use both at the same time.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I'm waiting for the day when all you need to own is an Apple Watch and an iPad. Owning an iPhone and an iPad is redundant. You pay for a similar processor twice, and you can't effectively use both at the same time.
Just want to clarify. So if iphone and ipad used different processors (and I assume you mean different OSes as well), would you then want to own both? Or is it also the fact that they’re both portable touch screen devices that makes them redundant—even though one is big and the other is pocketable? Either way, can you really/do you really want to carry around a big slate everywhere you go? Or if you plan to often go out with only your apple watch, don’t you think you’ll find yourself wanting/needing to do tasks that take more than a few seconds? Really curious.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
Just want to clarify. So if iphone and ipad used different processors (and I assume you mean different OSes as well), would you then want to own both? Or is it also the fact that they’re both portable touch screen devices that makes them redundant—even though one is big and the other is pocketable? Either way, can you really/do you really want to carry around a big slate everywhere you go? Or if you plan to often go out with only your apple watch, don’t you think you’ll find yourself wanting/needing to do tasks that take more than a few seconds? Really curious.

It works for me because I already carry around a thin backpack to hold an umbrella, water, and a few small things. I hate having things in my pockets, life is much easier with a bag.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It works for me because I already carry around a thin backpack to hold an umbrella, water, and a few small things. I hate having things in my pockets, life is much easier with a bag.

Ah I see. I also hate having things in my pocket, but for me it’s the lesser of the two evils. But I also don’t need to carry an umbrella or anything.
The ultimate for me will be AR built into my glasses. For interfacing, maybe a bluetooth card to hold and use thumb gestures. Until then a small pocketable phone is all I’ll need for on-the-go.

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
I wanted to update the group about my experience.

The XS Max is a great device, but it did NOT replace my iPads.

The screen of XS Max is still small for prolonged work. The small screen means more eye strain and when you work with documents: too much panning and zooming that slows you down.

On the contrary, the introduction of the iPad Mini 5 (great screen resolution and ppi, extremely light and portable, pencil support) made me consider going the opposite way:
Going to a combo of iPad Mini and XS (instead of XS Max).

Advantages of XS: easier single hand use, more comfortable fit in the pocket
Disadvantage of XS compared to XS Max: battery anxiety towards the end of the day.

I even consider the combo iPad Mini and Watch, but I quickly rejected that option due to lack of a good camera in this combination.

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017

The screen of XS Max is still small for prolonged work. The small screen means more eye strain and when you work with documents: too much panning and zooming that slows you down.

On the contrary, the introduction of the iPad Mini 5 (great screen resolution and ppi, extremely light and portable, pencil support) made me consider going the opposite way:

Disadvantage of XS compared to XS Max: battery anxiety towards the end of the day.

I even consider the combo iPad Mini and Watch, but I quickly rejected that option due to lack of a good camera in this combination.

I have the XS and a mini as well. I find myself using the Mini and the 12.9 together, all the time. Using the mini as a reference tool while using the 12.9 and Goodnotes 5 or other apps for writing with the pencil. I love that you can copy with one device, and paste with the other.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
The iPhone XS Max is a suitable replacement for the iPad in the same way I am a suitable replacement for George Clooney.
Are you saying it IS or IS NOT a suitable replacement for the iPad? Without pics, for all we know you could be every bit as handsome and talented as Mr. Clooney.
[doublepost=1555262257][/doublepost]

You've laid out all the tradeoffs pretty well. I just picked up a Mini 5, and I agree with you that it reduces the value of having a Max over an XS.

I still strongly prefer my 2017 10.5" iPP with Apple Smart Keyboard for doing work, and will keep it for a couple more years. But the Mini plus a very lightweight portable BT keyboard is a good substitute in a pinch.

And I love the Mini form factor. It's just soooo easy to travel with, it fits in a big coat or jacket pocket, and weighs next to nothing in my daypack. I'm happy I now have one with a modern processor and Pencil support.

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
Are you saying it IS or IS NOT a suitable replacement for the iPad? Without pics, for all we know you could be every bit as handsome and talented as Mr. Clooney.
[doublepost=1555262257][/doublepost]

You've laid out all the tradeoffs pretty well. I just picked up a Mini 5, and I agree with you that it reduces the value of having a Max over an XS.

I still strongly prefer my 2017 10.5" iPP with Apple Smart Keyboard for doing work, and will keep it for a couple more years. But the Mini plus a very lightweight portable BT keyboard is a good substitute in a pinch.

And I love the Mini form factor. It's just soooo easy to travel with, it fits in a big coat or jacket pocket, and weighs next to nothing in my daypack. I'm happy I now have one with a modern processor and Pencil support.

I have the 12.9" iPP for heavy note taking, study, etc. The Mini for reference. I run some edu apps and read books on it. The phone is phone and gets used a lot for stuff like weather, stocks, paying for things, ordering an uber, making calls, sending messages and on and on. It is kind of funny having two iPads in one bag.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have the 12.9" iPP for heavy note taking, study, etc. The Mini for reference. I run some edu apps and read books on it. The phone is phone and gets used a lot for stuff like weather, stocks, paying for things, ordering an uber, making calls, sending messages and on and on. It is kind of funny having two iPads in one bag.
How do you manage to carry 2 ipads. I leave my 10.5 inch pro at home. Even then I'm complaining about carrying my mini, phone and kindle.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.