Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
How do you manage to carry 2 ipads. I leave my 10.5 inch pro at home. Even then I'm complaining about carrying my mini, phone and kindle.

I found a remarkable company that makes bags out of canvas and leather... No, for real. And these guys specifically designed it to hold a laptop and a tablet, or in my case, a larger tablet and my small tablet. I know I know... Sounds crazy. I assure you it's 100% true! I don't wish to freak anyone out, but... Maybe I shouldn't say. What the heck... I have photos!!!!!

;)

Reactions: Shanghaichica

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Just chiming here. I tried the whole use yr iPhone Max as yr main device from October to February and it’s as everyone else says - the aspect ratio makes a big difference. The Max’s screen is long and it makes little difference when surfing Safari or other tasks. Text is still pretty small, and I didn’t think it was even a decent kindle replacement- again, aspect ratio. And it is heavy for extended periods of time.

Ultimately, the smaller XS is a better fit for me because I’m more often using my iPhone to take pictures or text or check something quick and a lighter, more nimble device is better for me. Honestly, I don’t really miss the bigger screen at all and I enjoy being able to use my phone with one hand.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Just chiming here. I tried the whole use yr iPhone Max as yr main device from October to February and it’s as everyone else says - the aspect ratio makes a big difference. The Max’s screen is long and it makes little difference when surfing Safari or other tasks. Text is still pretty small, and I didn’t think it was even a decent kindle replacement- again, aspect ratio. And it is heavy for extended periods of time.

Ultimately, the smaller XS is a better fit for me because I’m more often using my iPhone to take pictures or text or check something quick and a lighter, more nimble device is better for me. Honestly, I don’t really miss the bigger screen at all and I enjoy being able to use my phone with one hand.

I think I'm coming around to this view as well. People who want to use an XS Max as an iPad replacement will clearly miss a lot of screen real estate, even if you're comparing it with an iPad mini. If Apple ever decides to open up iOS on the iPad, it could become a full blown laptop replacement in its current screen size. That wouldn't happen with an XS Max just simply because of how small the screen still is.

Reactions: Vivian125

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
I think I'm coming around to this view as well. People who want to use an XS Max as an iPad replacement will clearly miss a lot of screen real estate, even if you're comparing it with an iPad mini. If Apple ever decides to open up iOS on the iPad, it could become a full blown laptop replacement in its current screen size. That wouldn't happen with an XS Max just simply because of how small the screen still is.

Yes, iOS in its current form limits the iPad Pro. Specifically the access to files with an app that would be similar to Apple Finder. You can't just plug in a hard drive and gain access to files or save files from any app to a file system. The app FILES could go a long way to make it more acceptable. I would love to use my iPad Pro 100% of the time but I just can't do that. I've tried.

The XS Max vs the iPad Mini, I'd go the Mini and have. It's a great device for reference in my opinion. For doing things like using Notes, reading books, and in general acting as a reference tool. Most of the time I carry both the iPad Pro and the mini and sit down and open them both up.

The XS Max is too big in my opinion. I've had really big phones and I don't like it anymore. The XS is perfect for me. Not too big, not too small. It's just perfect.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Not because Phones gets bigger, it doesn’t mean it’s close to replacing an iPad keep in mind that even the biggest iPhone 14 Pro Max is still 2 times smaller than the iPad Mini lol. Most videos are also 16:9 and I hate to say that 16:9 movies on iPhone has black bars too on the side which makes it even smaller!

And for the Browsing experience, Mails, Multi tasking, Gaming, Drawing and video editing this is the time where iPad shines the most and making the Tiny iPhone Pro Max falls behind the iPad/Laptop screen size..

lastly smartphone heats more quickly than the tablets, due to its tiny body the heat has nowhere else to go but to pressure the battery more! and will ended you Use the Powerbank all the time which isn’t the case for MacBook or iPads which Is meant to be used for longer period of time.

phone will always be a phone, and majority of phone users only use it for light tiktok or YouTube content, checking messages and calling, while iPads advantage for its screen almost as big as MacBook which is great to watch movies.

Reactions: jagolden

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Not because Phones gets bigger, it doesn’t mean it’s close to replacing an iPad keep in mind that even the biggest iPhone 14 Pro Max is still 2 times smaller than the iPad Mini lol. Most videos are also 16:9 and I hate to say that 16:9 movies on iPhone has black bars too on the side which makes it even smaller!

And for the Browsing experience, Mails, Multi tasking, Gaming, Drawing and video editing this is the time where iPad shines the most and making the Tiny iPhone Pro Max falls behind the iPad/Laptop screen size..

lastly smartphone heats more quickly than the tablets, due to its tiny body the heat has nowhere else to go but to pressure the battery more! and will ended you Use the Powerbank all the time which isn’t the case for MacBook or iPads which Is meant to be used for longer period of time.

phone will always be a phone, and majority of phone users only use it for light tiktok or YouTube content, checking messages and calling, while iPads advantage for its screen almost as big as MacBook which is great to watch movies.
Necromancy ...

Reactions: Isengardtom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.