Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jprmercado

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I decided to match tracks one by one. Got lucky with one of them--it matched after around 4 hours. Not exactly ideal, though.

I really wonder what caused this problem.

ianfieldhouse

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2020
I've been trying to match approximately 50 tunes for the last 18 hours or so. Only about 20 have processed so far but they are being matched/uploaded, just extremely slowly. I'm both an iTunes Match and Apple Music subscriber (Mainly as I was never sure if I didn't need Match if I had Apple Music. I don't think I do, so my Match subscription is set to expire.) but I think this is affecting Music subscribers too that use Match functionality.

patthedog

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Same issue here. Matching about 1 track every 6 hours.

I just spent an hour on the phone with a Senior Engineer at Apple who is going to get back to me. Of the things he asked me to try was to check how many matched songs I have in my library. It's very close to 25,000 which I remember was previously the limit for iTunes Match users before it was increased to 100,000.

Might be just a coincidence, but I'd be interested in hearing from other people experienced with this problem how many matched tracks are in your library and for how long have you been an iTunes Match or Apple Music subscriber?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

I just spent an hour on the phone with a Senior Engineer at Apple who is going to get back to me. Of the things he asked me to try was to check how many matched songs I have in my library. It's very close to 25,000 which I remember was previously the limit for iTunes Match users before it was increased to 100,000.

Might be just a coincidence, but I'd be interested in hearing from other people experienced with this problem how many matched tracks are in your library and for how long have you been an iTunes Match or Apple Music subscriber?

About 4000, Match subscriber for over nine years. So the ‘limit’ doesn’t appear to be the issue.

Reactions: ianfieldhouse

Eisselmann

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014

That‘s total bs.
It‘s the typical „Apple breaks a barely working service once again and doesn‘t fix it“.

Reactions: ianfieldhouse

kdavis

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Maine, USA

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the size of the library. In an effort to "reset" my library when this problem first cropped up last week, I removed all of my cloud library and kept signing in and out of various devices on my account until I got it completely cleared. Then, I started re-adding the files from my HD in small batches. Out of a total of about 500 tracks I've tried, only bout 370 have matched/uploaded so far.

When it has tried for a while and isn't making any progress, I quit Music, restart, remove all of the "pending" files and try again to re-add them. Occasionally, another track or two will add to the cloud, but it seems to be a process of diminishing returns.

drcharlie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014

My library has 33,250 items. Except for about a 2-year break over 5 years ago, I have been an iTunes Match subscriber since it started. I have never subscribed to Apple Music.

djbullard87

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
This is still ongoing. They really don’t ever seem to be in a rush to fix anything lately. I find Apple’s customer service to be quite lacking in the last few years compared to how they were. Their updates always seem to be unstable in one way or the other. When you are in the ecosystem there’s pretty much no way out and the services you pay for you expect to work. My iTunes Match is due for renewal on the 18th and I don’t particularly want to pay for it if it isn’t going to work. I’ve just spent a week trying upload 15 songs and only one matched. Before this it would take about a minute for that sort of thing. They must know something if all of us have complained.

Last edited:

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
I am a Match subscriber and an Apple Music subscriber and have been since the beginning for both. Just over 25,000 songs (all properly uploaded or matched prior to this debacle).

Exactly one week ago I did a test to add just one single new song to my library. As of this time it is STILL "Waiting" and has yet to either upload or match.

Going to fill out yet another feedback report.

djbullard87

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you get iTM for free as it is an AM feature. No reason to pay for it as a separate service.
I doesn’t work as well for me. I tried it before and it just became a mess. As soon as I put iTunes Match on and re did all my tracks everything came up perfectly.
Do others here have Apple Music only and having these same problems though or is this just iTunes Match?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I doesn’t work as well for me. I tried it before and it just became a mess. As soon as I put iTunes Match on and re did all my tracks everything came up perfectly.
Do others here have Apple Music only and having these same problems though or is this just iTunes Match?
I just subscribed to AM, so it's currently chugging through my 12k tracks. will post when I know more.

Reactions: djbullard87

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I am running iTunes on a Windows 10 PC. I am an iTunes Match subscriber, and iTunes Match is scheduled to renew in 8 days on July 26. Yesterday, I added about 100 songs and only a handful either matched or didn't match and got added to my iCloud Music Library. For the rest of the songs, the "Activity" in iTunes just keeps spinning and says:

"Activity
iCloud Music Libary
Matching your music with songs in the iTunes Store."

The major troubleshooting I did was turn off iCloud Music Library, then close iTunes, and then reopen it. That did not help. I also sorted my entire library by iCloud status and deleted all "ineligible" tracks, which had been in there for a long time and never caused a problem before.

Is iTunes Match and iCloud Music Library working for any of you or is it just not working currently? I have about a week to decide whether to renew iTunes Match. I like having my songs in iCloud Music Library so that they sync between my iDevices (iPhone, HomePod, etc). But, if iTunes Match is broken, I will have to think about canceling my subscription before it renews.I
I have been a subscriber to iTunes Match since its inception.
The last month or two have been a disaster. Matching new tracks often takes days. I have moved added tracks between a couple of different systems to see, whether they perform better. Pretty much mute.
I don't have the patience to talk with Apple support about this. In the past, they never admitted to issues and have me jump through hoops logging in and out of iCloud, etc. The problem with these steps it takes a long time to resync everything.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA

do5dos

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2021
Today I received a call back from Apple Care. As already described in an earlier post here they tried to have me fix it on my side by signing out, signing back in etc. Right after describing the problem I did not leave them a chance to go through their script and described what I have already done and that it is a widespread issue. With that out of the way I got transferred to a senior. She was surprisingly open about that Apple are already aware of the problem. She actually referred to it as a "problem" and not an "issue" as Apple staff are usually trained to call it. I insisted on adding the community thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252968057 to my case. Finally she said that there is nothing we can do about it right now. A team is already working on an iTunes update to be released in the near future. However no time frame for the release is known at the moment.

djbullard87

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
I just subscribed to AM, so it's currently chugging through my 12k tracks. will post when I know more.

Actually, you are correct: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146
"If you have an Apple Music membership, you get all of the benefits of iTunes Match, plus access to the entire Apple Music catalog. You can also get a Family Membership to share the catalog with your family members. Learn more about joining Apple Music."
@darngooddesign how did it get on with all your tracks with AM?

@haralds it does have the same functionality however from past experience and what others have said, it adds DRM to your uploaded content, meaning you can't ever download your original versions if you lose your originals, it'll only be the DRM versions. However others say this has been removed. But from what I gather if you match something and then it gets removed you won’t be able to download the original track if you haven’t got it backed up.

Last edited:

mjk37mjk

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2021
Today I tried a work-around that did not help. I changed the artist and song name by adding digits at the end to see if songs would be uploaded (because they could not be matched) and they were not.

karnsculpture

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2006
London, UK
If you add tracks that do not exist in the iTunes store or Apple Music things work as they should. The problem manifests itself if the track is "matched" - for example 1 song by Yosui Inoue on a various artists compilation I ripped this week. The rest of the album is fine, this one track has a problem as it exists elsewhere in the Apple library.

I tested this out with an album that is definitely in the AM library - Alan Parsons Project "Eve" and I'm having the problem. Apple Music subscriber.

mjk37mjk

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2021
Up until now i could still upload non-matched songs for ITM but now I have the dreaded:

Genius results can’t be updated because the iTunes Store doesn’t recognize your iTunes library.​

I don't want to sign out to fix that because then i am worried it will then want to re-match my 60k library after i log back in and be unable to do so. Am i wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.