Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philocetes

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2016
Just in case, 2009 is completely identical hardware-wise to 2010 or 2012. But dual CPU is really something, as it's essentially doubles your performance in many applications, which is crucial for such old Xeons.

Ok, so I have a wild thought: Can I take the cpu drawer out of the 2010 and plug it into a 2012 with no ill effects?

Might not even want to as I ordered the upgrade cpu and the upgrade itself takes about a half hour (including cleaning dust out of the case), but its a curious thought. The same question could be asked of the 2009, but for some reason, I think these are definitely different at the mobo level.

DanSilov

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Ok, so I have a wild thought: Can I take the cpu drawer out of the 2010 and plug it into a 2012 with no ill effects?

Might not even want to as I ordered the upgrade cpu and the upgrade itself takes about a half hour (including cleaning dust out of the case), but its a curious thought. The same question could be asked of the 2009, but for some reason, I think these are definitely different at the mobo level.
They are completely identical on the hardware level, the only difference is the version of SMC controller rom, which is responsible (among other things) for CPU fans. You can interchange CPU trays between models, however, fans will always blast full speed, which is definitely not ok.

Philocetes

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2016
They are completely identical on the hardware level, the only difference is the version of SMC controller rom, which is responsible (among other things) for CPU fans. You can interchange CPU trays between models, however, fans will always blast full speed, which is definitely not ok.

Agreed--thanks for the info.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Agreed--thanks for the info.

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. The SMC version is definitely different between 2009 and 2010 trays. You will experience the full fury of your fans if you swap trays between models. However, I don't recall reading that this version difference existed between 2010 and 2012 models. My sense was that the 2012 model was essentially a marketing re-versioning. While there were firmware differences between 2009 and 2010, I believe 2010 and 2012 were utterly identical. Definitely do some further research on this as it may be possible to swap 2010 and 2012 trays.

Reactions: Philocetes

DanSilov

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
I don't recall reading that this version difference existed between 2010 and 2012 models.
I've misread, I was sure the other CPU tray was supposed to be from 2009 4,1. If both models are original 5,1, then of course trays are interchangeble.

Reactions: Philocetes

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
I had the stock qc mc pro 2010

You can edit 4k - as Long as you convert to proxy. I edited in fcp7 and then in fcpx. You can edit camera raw files (100mb h.264). I did find renders a pain but the good thing is if you get a single cpu Mac p u can upgrade as and when you have funds.

I upgraded the cpu from 4 to 6 cores (3.46Ghz), ssd boot drive with the home folder 2tb, 16gb ram and a bare PC Card - amd r9 380.

Had it 5+ years and feels like it will run and run! Oh and I have a 4tb raid built in, no need for externals.

Oh oh and a USB 3 pcie card so I have like 3 or 4 USB 3.0 and 5-6? USB 2 ports.

Who needs thunderbolt?

Reactions: Synchro3

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Who needs thunderbolt?

Yeah! Especially at those thunderbolt prices!

I got the 3.33 Ghx six-core one. But, I also quickly updated the drives to SSD's. I have a 25-GB SSD for the OS and apps. And, a 120 GB SSD for my scratch drive. I also have 1.5 GB of spinning HDD in there as backup. All four drives are occupied.

I already have 16GB of RAM which I think is enough for now. The only thing I am hoping for is to update my GPU which is an HD5770. Maybe to the new Polaris cards if Apple supports them!

Reactions: steveOooo

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Yeah! Especially at those thunderbolt prices!

I got the 3.33 Ghx six-core one. But, I also quickly updated the drives to SSD's. I have a 25-GB SSD for the OS and apps. And, a 120 GB SSD for my scratch drive. I also have 1.5 GB of spinning HDD in there as backup. All four drives are occupied.

I already have 16GB of RAM which I think is enough for now. The only thing I am hoping for is to update my GPU which is an HD5770. Maybe to the new Polaris cards if Apple supports them!

AMD R9 380 PC Card works fine for me (no boot screen though)

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
AMD R9 380 PC Card works fine for me (no boot screen though)

I got a Gigabyte RX 460 working OOB. And, happy with it. Works fine! No pcie cables and runs lower power usage than HD 5770... and is faster at the same time. So, it's fine.

Thanks though!

Here's some pix & compars!

RX460 Luxmark:
rx_460_4_zps1nmfgmit.png

HD5770 Luxmark:
hd_5770_2_zpssog5vkee.png

RX 460 Unigine Heaven:
rx_460_1_zpsazctjn4o.png

HD5770 Unigine Heaven:
hd_5770_1_zpsaabklscj.png

No cables, faster, lower power consumption than HD5770, more VRAM, too and it's affordable:
rx_460_photo_1_zpsqhawkmxb.jpg

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Quick question on this.

Bringing some compatible processors to a friends house today. We did the 5.1 firmware update a bit ago, and will be putting in 2 X5675 (IHS removed and tested) processors. Is it the tray that causes the fan speed issue, or the processor upgrade? We are having a high fan speed issue at boot (that didn't happen before the Firmware update) but it settles down after the boot.

DanSilov

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Bringing some compatible processors to a friends house today. We did the 5.1 firmware update a bit ago, and will be putting in 2 X5675 (IHS removed and tested) processors. Is it the tray that causes the fan speed issue, or the processor upgrade? We are having a high fan speed issue at boot (that didn't happen before the Firmware update) but it settles down after the boot.
I had this issue while installing CPUs (pair of x5675 and pair of x5680) with IHS removed. It was simply a matter of reinstalling CPU and turning cooler screws 1-2 turns tighter. My count was 9 turns to unscrew, and about 8.5 turns to screw them back.
[doublepost=1478271391][/doublepost]
That is a non issue, DL 'Mac Fan Control' and 'teach' your fans how to behave, simple.
Out of the box, properly installed CPUs and 5.1 firmware should have normal high fan speed. If after a few seconds after boot CPU fans go full speed, this might be a problem with installation. 'Teaching' fans is fine tuning, but only if everything works properly in the first place.

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands
No problem, just wanted to make sure readers see the difference!

Even a standard GT120 will quite possibly run the fans high, the first 1-2 Boots...but Mac Fan Control is a very nice help....to bring order to chaos.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I had this issue while installing CPUs (pair of x5675 and pair of x5680) with IHS removed. It was simply a matter of reinstalling CPU and turning cooler screws 1-2 turns tighter. My count was 9 turns to unscrew, and about 8.5 turns to screw them back.
[doublepost=1478271391][/doublepost]
Out of the box, properly installed CPUs and 5.1 firmware should have normal high fan speed. If after a few seconds after boot CPU fans go full speed, this might be a problem with installation. 'Teaching' fans is fine tuning, but only if everything works properly in the first place.

That would be true when @840quadra would have fans at full speed, constantly!
But he mentions 'it settles after boot' as I said before, that is a non-issue!!

Thanks for the details.

No hardware work has been completed yet, so the high speed fans at boot must be something else. We will be doing the Proc install tonight or tomorrow.

I am actually heading out to look at a Mac Pro tonight for another friend. I have been doing lots of work on these, and I don't even own one lol.

AfterglowMP

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010

Are you getting the 12 core upgrade from 6 core? Mine's a 3.3 ghz 2010 5,1 and I'm looking at a few places like owc and create.pro to buy the whole dual unit but maybe you're putting in the new processors yourself? There are kits online for this but I'm nervous about something going wrong.

sevichenko

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2016
BIG YES!

MORESO: you'd have to be a fool to buy a nMP for video editing (or at least someone who hasn't done your homework).

You can build a machine that is much more than a top of the line $9,500+ MP for a fifth as much.

Here's the recipe for a cMP that easily edits 4K in 60hz (I just put this together):

1) $1000

Buy a 2009-2012 Mac Pro with dual processors (any processor spec). 2009's (called 4,1's) can be flashed to 2010-12's (called 5,1's). That said, once you flash a 2009 there are some reports about inconsistent fan stuff so IMO it's better to go with a 2010 or a 2012 [this is somewhat unclear to me--someone please set the record straight on this].

Note: already have a Mac Pro with a single processor? You can buy one with a double and switch the CPU trays and then sell the other unit.

2) $600

Go on Ebay and spend $600 on two matched Hex 3.42 chips:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twelve-Core...219251?hash=item4b077d9a73:g:I4QAAOSwKtlWp9Q2

3) $318

64GB Ram from OWC
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory

4) $660

GTX980Ti from Mac Video Cards.
http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p49/Nvidia_GTX_980_Ti_6_GB.html

If you're editing in FCPX then get something for that. But if you're editing in Premiere--or use Adobe stuff at all--then you need a CUDA card and this one is AWESOME. You can put a 980Ti in that isn't flashed for Mac, but you won't have a boot screen (not that big of a deal for most people).

Note: putting in a non-Apple certified video card in your system means you gotta be on your drivers and usually be a slow adopter for new OS updates. It's also a good idea to have a spare Apple Certified video card to put in just in case you forget and update your system to something that isn't compatible yet.

Note2: the specs on this blow away the stale 700's on the new Mac Pro.

5) Drives (depending on your needs)

I like an SSD on a PCI for your system. You'll also need an array of SSDs for your projects, backup drives and so on.

You'll need all this for whatever system you get. If you get a new Mac Pro you're gonna have to buy an external drive bay.

The 4k and 5K videos I edit are all short--around 5 min--so I use a pair of 500GB SSD's on a Sonnet Tempo [which has eSATA connections for backing up to external drives] set in a Raid 0 stripe using SoftRaid. The beautiful thing about a classic Mac Pro is you have TONS of internal storage space. I've got a SSD in my second optical bay, all four HD bays stocked with backup drives, a system disk on a PCI card and the Sonnet Tempo with the Raid.

Total Price: $2600

And this system totally keeps up with the $9500 top of the line Mac. The new Mac has Thunderbolt but who cares: classic Mac Pros have so much space inside for connections AND PCI SLOTS! I have and run everything here and my benchmarks are just a hair under the $9500 Mac Pro. At the end of the day, 12 cores is 12 cores and 3.46 is 3.46. Also heads up: Premiere doesn't even use all 12 cores all the time [so you can imagine the face palming people do who actually spend the big money for this].

If you wanna get fancy you can add a Dell UP3216Q monitor to see your 4K worth at 60hz, I have this this setup and 4K looks STUNNING.

Wow! what a beast machine for a nice price

Philocetes

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2016
Are you getting the 12 core upgrade from 6 core? Mine's a 3.3 ghz 2010 5,1 and I'm looking at a few places like owc and create.pro to buy the whole dual unit but maybe you're putting in the new processors yourself? There are kits online for this but I'm nervous about something going wrong.

Its up to you how you want to take risks and spend your money. Using directions on this website and youtube videos, I upgraded mine with success. To me, the upgrade services are extremely expensive, and I chose not to go that route. I ordered used cpu and memory from ebay. Got some great deals. Use the cpu chart on macrumors and compare it to prices for cpu on ebay, and look up the benchmark and get the value you like best.

The processor upgrade for lidless processors on the 4,1 hardware is a hassle. I did that ok, but its a lot more fussy to do. The 2010 was a breeze for me, but I have assembled many computers over the years, so replacing a cpu was a breeze. You need to get a special allen wrench for it, but I got one on amazon. Read up here and look at memory prices as the stores that sell 'official' replacement ram charge a lot more than others you can find.

I got my mac memory from a-tech on amazon. I felt the price was good and it all worked as promised. I bought 16 8 gig 1066 gig sticks from them for three mac pros and the ram all worked great. I am sure many suppliers would work, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 840quadra

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands

I would suggest to stay away from those suppliers, way too expensive. You pay for the assurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.