Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I would use my AppleTV a lot more if Charter would let me authenticate more than a handful of channels.

Reactions: mallbritton

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
No 4k, so yes it could be dying a slow death. Honestly, this tvOS is the best of all the OS in my opinion, but with no 4k support ATV sucks, sorry. UI is definitely not everything and I blame Apple for the fact I had to buy a ROku (which I like a lot).

Apple is there own worst enemy these past two years.

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
No 4k, so yes it could be dying a slow death. Honestly, this tvOS is the best of all the OS in my opinion, but with no 4k support ATV sucks, sorry. UI is definitely not everything and I blame Apple for the fact I had to buy a ROku (which I like a lot).

Apple is there own worst enemy these past two years.

Interesting debate over on imore: http://m.imore.com/apple-talk-23-apple-tv-jason-snell
I hope it's a sign that things are stirring at Apple, and that there's more going on than just 4K and HDR in new hardware...

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm not saying that the ATV is the perfect solution, but my fiancée and I have access to almost all of the programing we need even though we cut the cord over a year ago (we have two ATV4's in the house).

We utilize the following apps for our streaming needs and use OTA antenna for Sunday NFL football:

1. Netflix
2. Hulu (w/ Showtime add on)
3. Starz
4. HBO
5. DIRECTV Now
6. Amazon Video
7. NHL.TV subscription
8. MLB.TV subscription

I think there is a lot more potential for the ATV. It's up to Apple to decide where the device goes in the future.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Interesting debate over on imore: http://m.imore.com/apple-talk-23-apple-tv-jason-snell
I hope it's a sign that things are stirring at Apple, and that there's more going on than just 4K and HDR in new hardware...

Good podcast.
[doublepost=1487035589][/doublepost]
I'm not saying that the ATV is the perfect solution, but my fiancée and I have access to almost all of the programing we need even though we cut the cord over a year ago (we have two ATV4's in the house).

We utilize the following apps for our streaming needs and use OTA antenna for Sunday NFL football:

1. Netflix
2. Hulu (w/ Showtime add on)
3. Starz
4. HBO
5. DIRECTV Now
6. Amazon Video
7. NHL.TV subscription
8. MLB.TV subscription

I think there is a lot more potential for the ATV. It's up to Apple to decide where the device goes in the future.

You cut the cord but with all those services are you really saving $$?

Reactions: Fancuku

bushellj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Devon, UK
Appreciate all the comments and inputs on this thread.

It is quite clear that while the ATV4 might be well supported in the US the support in other countries and very specifically in the U.K. is severely lacking.

We purchased our ATV4 the day it was released with great hope that the media companies would port to the Apple platform. Here we are over a year later and we still only have BBC iPlayer and Netflix both of which were available pretty much from launch ! (And Now TV from Sky).

Today we have finally given in and purchased an Amazon Fire TV which appears to have support for all the major catch up media providers in the U.K. I am also looking for something simple to to run Kodi as I don't like the concept of "side loading" Apps without the support of the vendor. Looking at the OSMC Platform as one strong possibility. Sam Nazarko who runs this distribution has done a great job in the past and provides excellent support.

Come on Apple, breath some real life into the ATV and get the support of the rest of the industry and support your loyal user base. It is up to Apple to get the support - they can't just sit back and hope companies will support their platform.

Reactions: Brenster

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
You cut the cord but with all those services are you really saving $$?

We're paying about $25 less a month than when we had cable and internet. Minus DIRECTV (which we don't know if we're going to keep since we primarily wanted the extra ATV4) and both sports apps, the other apps we get for free (via sharing login's with family).

Reactions: Jayderek

dtalksall

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
My Samsung smart TV stopped connecting to wifi a year ago. It's out of warenty & we have paid to get it "serviced" multiple times.
The $150 for an Apple TV was a better option than getting a new TV.
I actually think there are more apps available on the Apple TV than the Samsung smart TV. So I don't see how it's "dead"

Reactions: JeffPerrin

AppleAlexander

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2014
Darlington, UK
First let me say that we are currently a 100% Apple house - iPhones, iPads, MacBook and several generations of Apple TV. We live in the UK. We have cut the cord with Sky !!

We use a number of streaming sources for our TV - Netflix, Amazon Prime and all the UK Catch Up Channels. Live TV comes from satellite as the terrestrial TV where we live is rather weak and satellite seems to be of better quality (higher bit rate ?).

So where does this leave the Apple TV ?? BBC iPlayer and Netflix - But where are all the other Apps ??

Almost any Samsung or LG smart TV Has support for the main Apps - even our Samsung DVD Player has better support than the Apple TV.

If Apple doesn't get off its backside and start to get some serious App support from the main media sources it is being quickly overtaken by almost every supplier of smart TV's.

Comments please before we dump the Apple TV in favour of a better supported platform.
[doublepost=1487140248][/doublepost]I could not agree more just bought a new LG smart TV and have not even bothered plugging my Apple TV back in. Where are the UK apps? ITV hub, All4 etc etc. The only thing I have used it for was to stream the live Apple event. As far as movies go Wakie or how ever you spell it, are always emailing free or half price vouchers. You never get movie offers with Apple.

bushellj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Devon, UK
My Samsung smart TV stopped connecting to wifi a year ago. It's out of warenty & we have paid to get it "serviced" multiple times.
The $150 for an Apple TV was a better option than getting a new TV.
I actually think there are more apps available on the Apple TV than the Samsung smart TV. So I don't see how it's "dead"

Clearly you are not based in the U.K. where the ATV has almost zero support for local content !!!

Reactions: Brenster and OllyW

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I kicked Apple to the curb some time ago for AppleTV. I run Amazon FireTV 4K units (plus a "stick" in the exercise room) using Kodi. I can still sync whole house audio using iTunes "Remote" from my old iPod Touch units (which can also run Kodi remotes) with Kodi's Airplay audio option. But seeing as I have Amazon Prime and there's no Amazon Prime App for AppleTV plus the new AppleTV is massively OVERPRICED (there are no apps worth paying $150-200 a unit when I got the FireTV 4K units at $80 each on sale). Using available software, I converted all my iTunes movies to play on anything and my Bluray ones already did. I don't even update iTunes as the newer versions SUCK (GUI just keeps getting worse and worse and worse). I bought a Microsoft Lumia 640 phone for $40 plus a 200GB SD Card for $98 and pay $17 a month for Tracphone on it. I have zero need for an iPhone. The only real Apple product I have left (other than Airport Express units in some rooms for audio) are my Macs and if Apple keeps making them suckier and suckier as they have been trending (obscene prices for not much faster than my 2012 Mac Mini in CPU terms since it was a quad-core i7), I may have to consider something else in the future there as well. Apple clearly doesn't need or want my business anymore. They keep selling thinner and thinner higher priced "art pieces" instead of real computers.

Apple blew it with the new AppleTV when they didn't ship it with a gamepad and for the first couple of quarters wouldn't allow gaming without remote support even though the remote sucks. They didn't even have iPhone/iPod keyboard-ready support at launch and that crap leads to bad reviews. They couldn't strike a deal to get an Amazon player (just counted on 'forcing' their hand by huge sales that never really happened). They should have had FaceTime support by default and included a wireless camera (at least an option) with it since phone calls in your living room could be a cool thing. Nope. They don't have any imagination what-so-ever anymore. All they want is THIN THIN THIN and nothing else even when thin/small doesn't really matter much or help (e.g. Mac Mini "desktop" could be a bit larger and have areal GPU; nope they don't care what some of us want. Steve may have been good at guessing what people want, but not Tim Cook. The iPhone is the only thing keeping Apple's stock up. One bad move there and they're in trouble).

Reactions: Apple Fritter

bushellj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Devon, UK
I kicked Apple to the curb some time ago for AppleTV. I run Amazon FireTV 4K units (plus a "stick" in the exercise room) using Kodi. I can still sync whole house audio using iTunes "Remote" from my old iPod Touch units (which can also run Kodi remotes) with Kodi's Airplay audio option. But seeing as I have Amazon Prime and there's no Amazon Prime App for AppleTV plus the new AppleTV is massively OVERPRICED (there are no apps worth paying $150-200 a unit when I got the FireTV 4K units at $80 each on sale). Using available software, I converted all my iTunes movies to play on anything and my Bluray ones already did. I don't even update iTunes as the newer versions SUCK (GUI just keeps getting worse and worse and worse). I bought a Microsoft Lumia 640 phone for $40 plus a 200GB SD Card for $98 and pay $17 a month for Tracphone on it. I have zero need for an iPhone. The only real Apple product I have left (other than Airport Express units in some rooms for audio) are my Macs and if Apple keeps making them suckier and suckier as they have been trending (obscene prices for not much faster than my 2012 Mac Mini in CPU terms since it was a quad-core i7), I may have to consider something else in the future there as well. Apple clearly doesn't need or want my business anymore. They keep selling thinner and thinner higher priced "art pieces" instead of real computers.

Apple blew it with the new AppleTV when they didn't ship it with a gamepad and for the first couple of quarters wouldn't allow gaming without remote support even though the remote sucks. They didn't even have iPhone/iPod keyboard-ready support at launch and that crap leads to bad reviews. They couldn't strike a deal to get an Amazon player (just counted on 'forcing' their hand by huge sales that never really happened). They should have had FaceTime support by default and included a wireless camera (at least an option) with it since phone calls in your living room could be a cool thing. Nope. They don't have any imagination what-so-ever anymore. All they want is THIN THIN THIN and nothing else even when thin/small doesn't really matter much or help (e.g. Mac Mini "desktop" could be a bit larger and have areal GPU; nope they don't care what some of us want. Steve may have been good at guessing what people want, but not Tim Cook. The iPhone is the only thing keeping Apple's stock up. One bad move there and they're in trouble).

We have been a pure Apple household for many years and currently have the full spectrum of Apple products from Airports to iPhones and everything in between.

So Apple are pulling out of the Router market.
The ATV has almost zero media support outside of the USA.
MacBook prices have just lifted them out of the market for most buyers.

Agree, just being thin did not win my business - it is the trouble free integrated hardware and software platform that won me over. "It just works" is what gave Apple its value and of course some well designed products.

So I am left with my iPhone which may well lose its benefits if I end up moving away from the rest of the Apple products and Apple's EcoSystem !!

Well done Apple for killing everything that Steve pulled together in such a short time since his death !!!

Having a $1000 phone to show off to your friends might win some people's business but there are a lot of long term Apple fans who bought into the Apple EcoSystem that are feeling let down by the current product releases.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
We have been a pure Apple household for many years and currently have the full spectrum of Apple products from Airports to iPhones and everything in between.

So Apple are pulling out of the Router market.
The ATV has almost zero media support outside of the USA.
MacBook prices have just lifted them out of the market for most buyers.

Agree, just being thin did not win my business - it is the trouble free integrated hardware and software platform that won me over. "It just works" is what gave Apple its value and of course some well designed products.

So I am left with my iPhone which may well lose its benefits if I end up moving away from the rest of the Apple products and Apple's EcoSystem !!

Well done Apple for killing everything that Steve pulled together in such a short time since his death !!!

Having a $1000 phone to show off to your friends might win some people's business but there are a lot of long term Apple fans who bought into the Apple EcoSystem that are feeling let down by the current product releases.

I agree with this somewhat, they are eroding the ecosystem slowly- not sure they realize it. Pulling out of the router market is one that hits me hard. I have a mix of 6 Apple routers and expresses around my house doing various things. Makes zero sense to me the arrogant path the company is on.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
First let me say that we are currently a 100% Apple house - iPhones, iPads, MacBook and several generations of Apple TV. We live in the UK. We have cut the cord with Sky !!

We use a number of streaming sources for our TV - Netflix, Amazon Prime and all the UK Catch Up Channels. Live TV comes from satellite as the terrestrial TV where we live is rather weak and satellite seems to be of better quality (higher bit rate ?).

So where does this leave the Apple TV ?? BBC iPlayer and Netflix - But where are all the other Apps ??

Almost any Samsung or LG smart TV Has support for the main Apps - even our Samsung DVD Player has better support than the Apple TV.

If Apple doesn't get off its backside and start to get some serious App support from the main media sources it is being quickly overtaken by almost every supplier of smart TV's.

Comments please before we dump the Apple TV in favour of a better supported platform.

I refused to believe Apple is leaving Apple TV!! If Apple choose to build a new smart Apple TV I would ditch Sanyo TV outright. :)

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I agree with this somewhat, they are eroding the ecosystem slowly- not sure they realize it. Pulling out of the router market is one that hits me hard. I have a mix of 6 Apple routers and expresses around my house doing various things. Makes zero sense to me the arrogant path the company is on.

No more Airport Express? So much for whole house audio from Apple (I guess they hate the headphone jack on home stereo equipment now too?) They'll probably just sell a WiFi/Bluetooth speaker (by Beats?) instead (crap on that; I use real stereo equipment). I have Airport Express units in my bedroom and guest bedrooms and FireTVs everywhere else (which can still do whole house synced audio via Kodi's Airplay support and iTunes + "Remote").

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
No more Airport Express? So much for whole house audio from Apple (I guess they hate the headphone jack on home stereo equipment now too?) They'll probably just sell a WiFi/Bluetooth speaker (by Beats?) instead (crap on that; I use real stereo equipment). I have Airport Express units in my bedroom and guest bedrooms and FireTVs everywhere else (which can still do whole house synced audio via Kodi's Airplay support and iTunes + "Remote").

Yep say goodbye to ALL of them. I am not happy about having to eventually get a stupid Linksys. Idiotic move by Apple considering the network is beating heart of their stupid now eroding ecosystem. Cook is really showing his capabilities as a CEO in the past two years.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Yep say goodbye to ALL of them. I am not happy about having to eventually get a stupid Linksys. Idiotic move by Apple considering the network is beating heart of their stupid now eroding ecosystem. Cook is really showing his capabilities as a CEO in the past two years.

All he (and most CEOs) see is short-term PROFITS and nothing else. Erosion of entire systems? That requires vision and Cook has none. But the shareholders probably applaud the move. Get rid of the stuff that by itself doesn't make profits and ramp up more phones! Until the day the phones don't sell and Apple will tank like a building coming down that had TNT in it. If it doesn't IMMEDIATELY sell, get rid of it! If it doesn't make huge profits, dump it (monitors, servers, professional software and now routers). I'm guessing the iPod Touch will be next (he who doesn't need a headphone jack certainly doesn't need an iPod of any kind) followed by the Mac Mini, any non-"Pro" notebooks (are there any left? The Air will be declared dead and moot since the Pro is already approaching its "thinness") and then finally the iPad (people discovered pads really aren't that great for hauling around; you might as well haul a notebook or say...a Surface that can do BOTH?)

That will leave Macbook Pros and iPhones and maybe the iMac (probably rebrand it the macMac or something equally STUPID SOUNDING like all their re-brandings lately that take no intelligence or creativity and often make no sense like a "Macbook Pro" that isn't for professionals at all or a Mac Pro that is never updated, probably because no one buys a useless trash can that requires everything to be external; you might as well just buy a Notebook instead in many cases). Apple doesn't want a product that eats higher profit sales (e.g. a Mac Mini with a quad-i7 that also has a decent GPU since that might block some iMac sales even if you don't want their monitor) but they don't mind releasing loads of products that NO ONE WANTS (e.g. the aforementioned Mac Pro that removed all the internal storage/expansion in favor of looking like a shiny trash can instead of a cheese grater) and then they whine that the Mac Mini isn't selling anymore so no one must want that form factor (rather than they slowed it way down and won't put a gaming level GPU unit in it either so it no longer serves any purpose what-so-ever). They won't even TRY making a gaming-level Mac since Steve wasn't into gaming and Tim is too busy trying to figure out why no one wants an iPad anymore when he prefers them over Macs (Nice CEO pick Steve....RIP).

Reactions: Nugget

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
We're paying about $25 less a month than when we had cable and internet. Minus DIRECTV (which we don't know if we're going to keep since we primarily wanted the extra ATV4) and both sports apps, the other apps we get for free (via sharing login's with family).
If I understand correctly, you're currently paying for DIRECTV and both sports apps, which nets you a $25 savings over cable/internet? I'm with skids929 about any actual savings. Those 5 other services you're getting free from family's logins would cost more than $25. Or do you mean even if you were paying for everything you listed legitimately, you'd still save $25, but you're actually saving much more now because you can log in for free?

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013

As far as I know those are just rumors based on some shifts in the teams. The airport are still on sale and there may be new products in development that include router function. Don't jump the gun. This is thread is a prime example: somebody claiming Apple is abandoning ATV when really they are testing a new 4K one.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
As far as I know those are just rumors based on some shifts in the teams. The airport are still on sale and there may be new products in development that include router function. Don't jump the gun. This is thread is a prime example: somebody claiming Apple is abandoning ATV when really they are testing a new 4K one.

Sorry, not a rumor, disbanded, done. Commodity market they want no part of. They aren't updating the product line and that is the first obvious sign. Go to the Apple Store and ask them they'll even tell you.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Sorry, not a rumor, disbanded, done. Commodity market they want no part of. They aren't updating the product line and that is the first obvious sign. Go to the Apple Store and ask them they'll even tell you.

I believe it when they remove the line from the store without announcing replacement. Until then rumor.

Reactions: mallbritton

tanfan

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015

Been thinking about trying Firetv but with every bluray coming with a UV code I have built up a library. Can I access my library like with Vudu or? with fire tv or would I still need a Roku or Chromecast or Nvidia shield?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.