Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Very odd question this.
My iPad Pro sits alongside my 16” macbookpro and each have their use for my professional work, and neither cancels out the other.
I get a little bored of seeing topics like this come up all the time, as the reality is they are versatile in use hence there are many appropriate uses to different people, and because these functions don’t sit with the OP use they think it is dying.

As others have said ipads are going from strength to strength and outsell Macs. I am more concerned with the mac dying over iPads.

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
No, it’s the opposite. The iPad is getting better in software and hardware and it’s attracting more users than ever. It’s in the perfect middle between a Mac and an iPhone. It gives you the portability of a mobile device and the capability of most computers.

iPadOS is more than enough for many people, not everyone needs a Mac for their needs. And an iPad is cheaper, gives you more portability, and is easier to use.

Not to mention, it’s a better tool for creativity and education proposes because you can use an Apple Pencil with it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just like Apple’s Touch Bar, weird, serves almost no purpose compared with traditional function key rows despite having better potential thanks to a touch screen. A basically half*** solution to a problem that does not exist. Innovation for the sake of innovation.

Apple introduces catalyst cause Mac App Store library is poor, limited, and far from ideal. Some Mac apps cost much more for basically the same functionality for no apparent reason.

And now macOS big Sur, a nice attempt to blend the interface between macOS, iPadOS and iOS. It is still beta so many things could change, but I am not sure if Apple will evolve macOS into another half*** version of something between iPadOS and traditional macOS, especially after the announcement of ARM Mac.

For me the problem isn’t iPad dying or not, but how Apple wants to unify three computing platforms. They are going to unify them without unifying them, I’m sure. iPad isn’t going anywhere, and it will probably be many light user’s only computer outside of their phone.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
It is difficult for me to say if they are doing because iPads are not that used in my country. Like for the last year and half I have seen exactly 1 person from my country using an iPad. I have seen two co-workers (from France and Germany) to have an iPad and I have seen some foreigners while traveling with plane to have one.

What I am trying to say is the iPad has not even properly entered the market in my country to die. It is not used in education and it won't be anytime soon because iOS is not translated in Bulgarian. Or in other words iPads in education market are a thing only in English speaking countries and in countries where iPadOS can be translated to said mother language. In other countries this is just not an option for schools. Now let's go to university. In most of universities in my country we (as students) get Windows for free. So most students actually get Windows laptop, not an iPad as it makes more sense. We also use Windows specific software.

Now let's to go the old people that find the computer rather too complex. Yep, true but Windows and Android are translated in Bulgarian, iPadOS is not. So they also do not use an iPad.

As Android is translated in Bulgarian most people tend to buy Android phones and tablets. As a result iPad is not really a popular thing here to die. Like it is still a baby (and rather premature born baby). It has a long way to go (if at all because I do not think Apple wants to invest in this actually) to make the iPad something here.

I do think that iPad is far from dying in USA or other English speaking countries. It is used and most probably can answer a lot of people needs. The thing is so can the iPhone and I am just not sure how many people need both phone and tablet. Especially if they already have a computer and they use it for something. People do not like change. They do not want to learn new ways of doing the same things. Not everyone is into new things and tech like we here in this forum.

Maybe with the youngsters that have entered the digital world with iPads might be different. I guess we will wait and see.

Reactions: sparksd

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
iPad’s for many people can accomplish all of their needed computing tasks and for many others fill a gap between other computing devices.
This is not something that Apple will be in any hurry to do away with and I can’t imagine it has ever crossed Tim Cook’s mind.

chrism_scotland

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2018
I fall into the category of someone who needs a full-compute device for my work; but I have found of late that as long as a device has a Desktop Web Browser (iPad OS / ChromeOS) I can actually do about 90% of what I need to do work-wise and pretty much all I would desire to do personally.

For me the iPad's Pro's biggest issue is cost; as I really see it as an accompaniment device; a decent storage size iPad Pro 12.9 is laptop territory and then add on the Magic Keyboard and a Pencil and its more expensive than some incredibly powerful ultrabooks and laptops.

TheAlexMartin10

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2019
Quick Answer

Attachments

• AW472989_23.gif
    AW472989_23.gif
    104 KB · Views: 460

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
For me the iPad's Pro's biggest issue is cost; as I really see it as an accompaniment device; a decent storage size iPad Pro 12.9 is laptop territory and then add on the Magic Keyboard and a Pencil and its more expensive than some incredibly powerful ultrabooks and laptops.

If someone is looking for an accompaniment device, a budget iPad or an iPad Air is a better option. The iPad Pro is for those who want to go iPad-only.

Reactions: Thoradin

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It is difficult for me to say if they are doing because iPads are not that used in my country. Like for the last year and half I have seen exactly 1 person from my country using an iPad. I have seen two co-workers (from France and Germany) to have an iPad and I have seen some foreigners while traveling with plane to have one.

What I am trying to say is the iPad has not even properly entered the market in my country to die. It is not used in education and it won't be anytime soon because iOS is not translated in Bulgarian. Or in other words iPads in education market are a thing only in English speaking countries and in countries where iPadOS can be translated to said mother language. In other countries this is just not an option for schools. Now let's go to university. In most of universities in my country we (as students) get Windows for free. So most students actually get Windows laptop, not an iPad as it makes more sense. We also use Windows specific software.

Now let's to go the old people that find the computer rather too complex. Yep, true but Windows and Android are translated in Bulgarian, iPadOS is not. So they also do not use an iPad.

As Android is translated in Bulgarian most people tend to buy Android phones and tablets. As a result iPad is not really a popular thing here to die. Like it is still a baby (and rather premature born baby). It has a long way to go (if at all because I do not think Apple wants to invest in this actually) to make the iPad something here.

I do think that iPad is far from dying in USA or other English speaking countries. It is used and most probably can answer a lot of people needs. The thing is so can the iPhone and I am just not sure how many people need both phone and tablet. Especially if they already have a computer and they use it for something. People do not like change. They do not want to learn new ways of doing the same things. Not everyone is into new things and tech like we here in this forum.

Maybe with the youngsters that have entered the digital world with iPads might be different. I guess we will wait and see.

Interesting perspective - I find it surprising that iOS is not available in Bulgarian. Made me wonder how many languages are supported and I came across this list:

Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, English (Canada), English (Australia), English (India), English (U.K.), English (U.S.), Finnish, French, French (Canada), German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Spanish (Mexico), Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese

(https://support.oneskyapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/206217438-Languages-supported-by-iOS-)

Reactions: secretk

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I think the iPad is lost between the iPhone (mobility+power) and the new Macs (real pro apps, usability and productivity). If Apple launch a MacBook Pro with 5G, Catalyst may be the salvation for the iPad app developers.

I use iPad as a big clock.
Steve Jobs already said it.
There are trucks (Macs) and cars (iDevices). Both will still have its uses. Majority customers can go by with cars (eg. iPads), while specific users will want to use trucks (Macs).

Quite simple imo. The problem I'm seeing in many Internet forums is that some truck drivers are expecting a truck from a sedan (eg. expecting an iPad to be a Mac). :)

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Nope. iPad and tablet are now synonymous to the extent that a lot of people often call a non-Apple tablet an iPad. The other brands are the ones that are disappearing especially as Apple is reducing the cost of the lower-end iPads.

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
I have an iPad Pro I got about a year ago, I also have an iPhone and Watch, both of which I use more. The iPad for me has become an ereader and a gaming platform incapable of ever replacing my Windows 10 laptop. Can't imagine I will ever buy another one.

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
My iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook for photography and web browsing. And since that’s all I really do outside of console gaming, iPad is here to stay for me.

Reactions: Jimbo Limbo

bitsstrongbrands

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Smartphones will inevitably replace tablets in the future. It's not difficult to think when you see the pandemic situation, the need fot big screens, redundancy of mobile gadgets and the fact of the new Macs coming. Why will you need this large iPod touch when your iPhone will connect directly to your big screen?

• Mac Pro
• Next-gen iMac
• MacBooks ARM 5G
• Apple Glasses

Apple wouldn't develop expensive projects like the new Macs for nothing. Think different.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Interesting perspective - I find it surprising that iOS is not available in Bulgarian. Made me wonder how many languages are supported and I came across this list:

Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, English (Canada), English (Australia), English (India), English (U.K.), English (U.S.), Finnish, French, French (Canada), German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Spanish (Mexico), Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese

(https://support.oneskyapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/206217438-Languages-supported-by-iOS-)

Do not get me wrong. This is obviously not an issue for people in the countries above, but there are enough other countries where this would be an issue. The thing is the smaller the country is, the least people know English enough to use a device in English. For example my parents do not know English. Any device that cannot be translated to their own language is unusable.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Do not get me wrong. This is obviously not an issue for people in the countries above, but there are enough other countries where this would be an issue. The thing is the smaller the country is, the least people know English enough to use a device in English. For example my parents do not know English. Any device that cannot be translated to their own language is unusable.

Just surprised not to see Bulgarian in the list. I believe there are more native Bulgarian speakers than there are Danish or Finnish.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Yeah, I think it's the opposite. I think more and more people are using iPads. Especially look at the younger generations. Younger kids being assigned iPads by their schools, older kids choosing them for note-taking instead of paper and pencil. Businesses using iPads for all sorts of reasons, for mobility or for public-facing functions.

Concur with this post - as an aside from just a mobile computing device - it has capabilities that a Mac or laptop form factor does not. In enterprise applications - you see iPads everywhere - in manufacturing particularly aerospace -- you see them used as test and inspection platforms that record the execution of required quality and safety checks that can scan items, record notes from the floor and integrate with enterprise back office applications. See IBM and GE Aeropace use of these.

You see iPads being used as Point of Sale systems using something like square in retail all over the place.

Personally, for our small real estate business - We have a handful of rental properties - we record the signing and execution of leases with iPads, we do pre and post rental walkthroughs with iPads, and process deposits and first month's rent with them.

Given Apple's excellent execution of iPadOS and the development platform for them - I see the use of iPads growing not shrinking.

iPad Point of Sale Systems -- https://www.lightspeedhq.com/ipad-p...MIvJ_LgP696gIV1QiICR1KrQv1EAAYASAAEgLIwfD_BwE

iPads used in Manufacturing ---- https://searcherp.techtarget.com/fe...ty-in-the-manufacturing-sector-gains-traction

----> https://www.informationweek.com/it-...actories-early-lessons-from-ge/d/d-id/1105297

Last edited:

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Smartphones will inevitably replace tablets in the future.... Why will you need this large iPod touch when your iPhone will connect directly to your big screen?

Because the phone screen is too small to be useful in a lot of situations, and I can’t bring my big screen out on the porch with me, doctors can’t carry big screens around to show x-rays to their colleagues, architects can’t take big screens to job sites, and millions of people have millions of uses for them.

Think different, but try to stay realistic.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
In my household I can honestly say we never use them anymore, I just hooked it up to a new amp that has modeling software and that was the first time I've used it really for about a year. As others have mentioned, it's great for niche type of things but for every day use the iPhone takes care of all our needs.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Just surprised not to see Bulgarian in the list. I believe there are more native Bulgarian speakers than there are Danish or Finnish.

I see your point :). I would have said that is the alphabet as it is Cyrilic but they support Russian so it seems to have an idea about this as well. I guess it is not high in the priority list. We also do not have really Apple stores here. We have official Apple resellers but you know it is not always the same. For the most part they do try to follow with the global Apple program but sometimes there might be discounts or certain programs in official Apple stores that are not available here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.