Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffm5690

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
I have found my reception is improved. Areas where I had no signal are now working and in general it seems to be better.

Reactions: catean

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
There may be some carrier updates coming in the next week or two. That usually happens with with every iPhone release. I got a carrier update from Verizon on my Max yesterday. My Max gets 5 bars in my house, compared to the 4 with my X. However, when I do speed tests, I see more fluctuations on the Max compared to the X. For example, I run the speedtest with wifi off and get 40 Mbps DL speed from Verizon. Run it again right afterwards and it jumps to 65 Mbps.

Last edited:
Reactions: m-a and unobtainium

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I am getting much faster downloads speeds from my x and 8+, reception seems about the same so far, but haven't traveled very far with it yet. Will see how it looks the next few weeks as I go to some lower signal areas.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
On AT&T on rural roads with signal going all over the place between 4G and full on LTE on my Max and my AT&T S9+. They’re performing about the same. I’m not doing actual speed tests. Just looking at the information on the bars and seeing how fast forum pages download.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
There may be some carrier updates coming in the next week or two. That usually happens with with every iPhone release. I got a carrier update from Verizon on my Max yesterday. My Max gets 5 bars in my house, compared to the 4 with my X. However, when I do speed tests, I see more fluctuations on the Max compared to the X. For example, I run the speedtest with wifi off and get 40 Mbps DL speed from Verizon. Run it again right afterwards and it jumps to 65 Mbps.
Are you on the iOS beta? Only time I have seen the carrier update (with Verizon) is when I had the beta loaded on the new iPhone Max.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Ok. Here is the real test. AT&T user here. So, I’m getting 180-190 mbps when I’m out and about. The thing is, I always had sucky reception at my place. Always. I didn’t mind because at home, I just use WiFi. But I always got 3-5 mbps at home using cellular. That was a guarantee. Never failed. I was expecting the same with the new Max but lo and behold!! Surprised me. For some reason, it’s not giving me the option to post an image? I can’t scroll down to the image icon on my Max. Anyone having this problem on Tapatalk?

Had to log in from Macrumors website. Here is the image. At least 25 mbps more now.

Attachments

• 616D2557-A01F-48AA-BAD6-74961C847E55.png
    616D2557-A01F-48AA-BAD6-74961C847E55.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 765
Last edited:
Reactions: catean and 5105973

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I’m in South Carolina on VZW. My iPhone X consistently holds 3 or 4 bars of LTE in my home with solid speeds.

I activated XS Max yesterday and upon first activating/connecting LTE (reboot, airplane mode, etc.) I get nearly identical performance. Within a minute or two, the signal degrades and data stops working. Disabling LTE results in a full 3G signal with 3G data - no issues, rock solid. Re-enabling LTE works for a minute or two. Lather rinse repeat.

VZW tech support chat was unable to help. Strangely, traveling a couple miles away from my house, the issue disappeared (I assume another tower). Returning home, started again.

I reset everything, restored as new, and nothing made a difference. So I stuck the new SIM back in my iPhone X and it works like a charm - I’m returning the Max tomorrow.

No hate or anything, just not willing to deal with the disruption to phone service in my home right now. The Max is an impressive device for sure, there’s just something that needs ironed out (seemingly on VZW’s end, given the tower situation).

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Ok. Here is the real test. AT&T user here. So, I’m getting 180-190 mbps when I’m out and about. The thing is, I always had sucky reception at my place. Always. I didn’t mind because at home, I just use WiFi. But I always got 3-5 mbps at home using cellular. That was a guarantee. Never failed. I was expecting the same with the new Max but lo and behold!! Surprised me. For some reason, it’s not giving me the option to post an image? I can’t scroll down to the image icon on my Max. Anyone having this problem on Tapatalk?

Had to log in from Macrumors website. Here is the image. At least 25 mbps more now.
That ad is classic, given the context

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
Mine is definitely better on the Xs Max vs the X. On ATT first time getting LTE.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
That ad is classic, given the context

I could see that. 30 mbps is not nothing to boast about nowadays. But as a customer where I would get crappy reception, now it pans out. Don’t care if people believe me or not. At the end, I’m the winner with the new phone’s antennas.

Reactions: onepoint

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
It seems the common point is it's occurring more on Verizon. That would mean it's likely not the phone and perhaps VZW will be able to fix with a carrier update. I got a carrier update right away when I activated my Max on VZW yesterday.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
On ATT. Signal (bars) are about the same, if not slightly better at my house. But when I connect to LTE? Speeds are 5x faster whereas I’d only get about 10 before on 1 bar.

2 bars I got 67 mbps last night where I previously had no signal outside my house before.

Reactions: 5105973

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
On ATT. Signal (bars) are about the same, if not slightly better at my house. But when I connect to LTE? Speeds are 5x faster whereas I’d only get about 10 before on 1 bar.

2 bars I got 67 mbps last night where I previously had no signal outside my house before.
Huh?
[doublepost=1537657369][/doublepost]I’m on Verizon and everything is fine on my max

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
XS Max is definitely improved from my AT&T X with an intel modem.
I have a feeling those with Qualcomm modems will be a little disappointed. The Max with Intel still seems slightly slower than my 7+ with Qualcomm. But it’s def improved from the X.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Few, thank god. Thought it was just my new Max. I upgraded from 8 plus yesterday on Verizon and have definitely noticed a regression in signal. I live in not so great of a signal area where one bar is common. Since I activated the Max, I’ve had no bars to no signal period. My wife also on an 8 plus had signal as usual sitting right next to me.

Another interesting thing and not sure if it’s related but I’m also seeing worse WiFi signal in my home. A room where I typically had 2 bars wouldn’t even connect to my WiFi. I still haven’t sent my 8 plus back and I fired it up in my other hand in the same room and the typical 2 bars.

Love the max and don’t want to have to bring it back. Apple, you are on notice.

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
I think it will take at least two more years before intel modems are close to Qualcomm.
It sucks that we all have to wait it out since there’s no more Qualcomm option but the Max is not terrible. The X with intel was pretty bad.

Reactions: m-a

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
So are you guys saying that the max is having trouble holding a cell signal or staying on LTE even in big cities?

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
XS Max is definitely improved from my AT&T X with an intel modem.
I have a feeling those with Qualcomm modems will be a little disappointed. The Max with Intel still seems slightly slower than my 7+ with Qualcomm. But it’s def improved from the X.

That seems to be the thinking in the other forum thread linked below. People who went from Qualcomm to Intel may see worsening in fringe areas while those who went from Intel to Intel may see an improvement. Both groups can see faster LTE signal due to carrier aggregation and 4 MIMO implemented in XS and XS Max. And everything else equal reception in bad areas was best in 8 and slightly worse in X, with even worse reception could be in XS Max given suspected antenna RF issues.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-iphones-intel-or-qualcomm.2137177/

Last edited:
Reactions: m-a and jeremiah256

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I looked in this morning just to see if anyone else was noticing worse reception. This seems far worse for me than my 8+. Data speeds for downloading apps are abysmal for me right now and an area that before was weak but usable now has ‘No Service’ with my XS. Leaving to drive to Phoenix on Monday. Guess that’ll be a good test and I suppose I’ll take my box along in case it doesn’t perform well.

I’m in the Phoenix area and all day my speeds have been nuts. 100+ in many areas.

Attachments

• 7DA75A57-780F-44D4-9583-F41D7B53A396.jpeg
    7DA75A57-780F-44D4-9583-F41D7B53A396.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 507

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Are you guys running into any issues with wifi calling? Usually on Verizon when I’m home it would always show VZW WiFi meaning WiFi calling was activated. Now I can’t get it to activate unless I put it on airplane mode and just have the WiFi on.

Could the XS be getting a stronger signal at home and causing WiFi calling to not be needed? I got great service on my X so I’m not sure that’s actually it but I just don’t know why it won’t work on my XS, same on my wife’s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.