Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I have been pushing for reviewers to test data speeds and the new modem for about a week ago and it's sad that none will do it . There is something up with this phone cause I keep seeing the animated bars that mean searching for signal . I thought that I might have a lemon but there is evidence to say otherwise.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I get faster speeds on AT&T, as long as I get a signal. Getting the signal seems sketchier so far. Around here, ive never had problems acquiring a signal unless I was coming out of eetsin buildings or in an elevator or something. Now, it's happened a few times already in situations it didn't before.

Haven’t had issue getting a signal yet, but my LTE speeds are 1/5th of what my X is getting from the same spot.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
I just compared my Max (using dBm values on field test mode) to my Pixel 2 (with Signalcheck Pro). Both devices on the same cell site/sector and LTE band on Verizon.

The Max is averaging about 5-8 dBm worse than the Pixel when placed in the exact same spots. This is with about a -100 dBm on band 4 (for Pixel 2 - iPhone averaging about -107 dBm).

Gdwheel

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
The only people seeing a carrier update right after setting up the new phone first thing, are people running Developer or possibly Public beta. Stock iOS does not get the carrier update.
Not true. I received the AT&T carrier update and I am running stock iOS 12. My AT&T speeds are fine, but I had a call with my wife on her X yesterday that dropped several times. I think it is hers, but I do not know. How do you get to field mode in iOS 12? I tried and it did not work.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
This is hardware and poor placement of antenna.
It is the one thing that has been looming ever since Qualcomm came out and said they are not supplying modems for 2018 phones...
Atleast, it is not a lottery in terms of some getting Qualcomm and others Intel

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I am in a rock solid AT&T area and if I airplane mode mine I get full signal but after a couple of mins it goes to 1 or 2 bars. I have even seen searching for signal in parts of my house. This is likely something that can be fixed with a carrier update . Now testing to see if Verizon has the same issue

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
I am in a rock solid AT&T area and if I airplane mode mine I get full signal but after a couple of mins it goes to 1 or 2 bars. I have even seen searching for signal in parts of my house. This is likely something that can be fixed with a carrier update . Now testing to see if Verizon has the same issue

I am happy that I am Not the only one. I live in colgonge (its a german metropole) in the city center. I have the best german carrier (tmobile) I only had 3G on the Street where i live. The same Situation at Düsseldorf Main Station !! Only 3G...

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
The full signal to 1-2 bars most likely stems from the phone switching bands. Initially it is most likely connecting to B12 and then after awhile it finds some higher spectrum band and switches to that for capacity reasons. That is pretty normal. However, dropping a connection altogether is definitely not a good sign.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
The full signal to 1-2 bars most likely stems from the phone switching bands. Initially it is most likely connecting to B12 and then after awhile it finds some higher spectrum band and switches to that for capacity reasons. That is pretty normal. However, dropping a connection altogether is definitely not a good sign.

It may be normal but my Iphone 7 never behaved like this and I always had higher signal levels. Also when I drop to 2 bars my speeds go to crap and are 50% slower.

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
I’m in the Phoenix area and all day my speeds have been nuts. 100+ in many areas.
Wow. I am on t mobile and I can’t ever imagine those speeds. I’m in north Phx myself. Granted I never really tested the speed out and about. I will do that today.

Reactions: rysmtihaz

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
I think that if this is a hardware issue it would be extremely widespread and this thread would blow up.

It would be the worse “gate” in the history of iPhones.

Maybe. But it's only been 2 days and people don't really use iPhones for phone calls anymore ;)

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
How do you update carrier services? How did u check what vs. you have?

Go into Settings -> General -> About.

Usually just entering the screen will trigger the carrier update pop-up which usually click on OK to complete. At least that’s the way it is for me on AT&T. You can scroll down and see the carrier version on the screen as well. I believe the latest AT&T carrier version is 33.2.

Reactions: gelie

Gdwheel

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
I got to field test mode and the dBm measurements are significantly worse (measuring around -110 dBm versus around -100 dBm) than the many other phones I use and test in the same locations. This is frustrating. I will keep testing to see if it changes.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
I got to field test mode and the dBm measurements are significantly worse (measuring around -110 dBm versus around -100 dBm) than the many other phones I use and test in the same locations. This is frustrating. I will keep testing to see if it changes.
Damn....A new feature I can understand, but 11 years down the line, how can something like this be a problem..:confused:

Reactions: Moki808

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
Go into Settings -> General -> About.

Usually just entering the screen will trigger the carrier update pop-up which usually click on OK to complete. At least that’s the way it is for me on AT&T. You can scroll down and see the carrier version on the screen as well. I believe the latest AT&T carrier version is 33.2.

Thx

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I am on Verizon 33.1 on stock iOS. Haven't seen any carrier update.

I got the AT&T carrier update the day I installed iOS 12 on my iPhone 8+.

So I made sure when I set up my iPhone XS max that I went into the about screen right away to get the carrier update.

Guessing each carrier runs separate versions?

To add to the mobile reception part of this thread I do believe my iPhone Xs Max is getting slightly worse reception in my area on AT&T. I live in New Hampshire so not exactly big city living :D Often times reception can be spotty in areas. Right now I wouldn’t say the reception is drastically worse than my iPhone 8 Plus but I won’t know for sure until later this week as I use it more for actual calls or cell data.

Hernan4651

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2018
Like I said, this thread would BLOW UP LIKE NO OTHER if this was a hardware issue inflicting every new iPhone.
But remember that we are on weekend, let's see when ppl come out of wifi range in the car for example. It's frustrating to lose the signal when you need it.
I hope that is only a minor glitch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.