Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
These phone are thoroughly tested by Apple before release. I highly doubt it's a software issue. It would have never been released like this if a fix was as simple as software. If it's a poorly designed antenna, then we are stuck. This is occurring on many carriers, which would lead me to believe it's a hardware issue.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
I’m trying my best to replicate the problem I can’t. I’m at the Ohio renaissance festival today in a rural area of Ohio and all is well with my max.

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
I upgraded from the X on launch day and overall, I have to say that in most cases I do see better performance. However, I have noticed a few symptoms that I thought it was just me or the local network. Seeing other people's comments here it seems that it is something more widespread.

Here are the symptoms:
- device occasionally searches for network (searching bar animation is displayed) even in areas with strong signal
- 4G/LTE data connection stalls. Toggling flight mode on and off restores the data connection for a few seconds, then it stalls again
- uplink may be poor under certain circumstances

It sounds like some (if not all) of the above are due to software issues. It is the first time they use a 4x4 antenna setup, so maybe they didn't get everything right on the first iteration.
I also forgot to mention that my device is in an Apple leather case. So I am not touching the antennas.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I can’t imagine Apple would release a product knowing that the reception and attenas are bad. I’m sure they look at things differently after antenna gate. I haven’t had a chance to put my max through the usual everyday tests yet since it’s the weekend. Are people only reporting this with the max and not the xs?

Reactions: decypher44

CGoodlet26

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Seeing great improvement thus far on Verizon. Went from 40mbps on my X to 80mbps on Xs Max at my house and finding improvement in areas I used to have weaker reception.

Reactions: Orangeman13

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Strange. Maybe some are leaving the factory without the antenas being hooked up. If it’s a hardware issue with design why are people seeing even better results lol?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
LTE speed tests are also meaningless. During the day at home, I max out at 35 to 40 Mbps, late at night it jumps to over 100 on both my X and Max. So many variables such as congestion, and bands you are using. The max may be indeed better because it is using a different band compared to older models, but that doesn't mean it's getting better reception.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
I can’t imagine Apple would release a product knowing that the reception and attenas are bad. I’m sure they look at things differently after antenna gate. I haven’t had a chance to put my max through the usual everyday tests yet since it’s the weekend. Are people only reporting this with the max and not the xs?

https://www.wiwavelength.com/2018/09/iphone-xs-and-xs-max-mostly-fail-to.html

The max just doesn’t have a great design for RF performance.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
People won't be as forgiving considering how much we paid for the Max. Could see a lot of returns next week, and cancelled orders. If it truly is a poor antenna design, Apple needs to be held accountable and offer full refunds to those who want to return them and we should not be charged a $50 restocking fee by the carriers.

Ritte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
XS has better antenna design compared to the Xs Max. The issue is with the Max.

Both me and my father have a Max, and when where my parents lives the reception is utterly poor. They need to rely on FaceTime audio, Viber etc since you barely can use the regular phone.

Anyway. Both of us had iPhone 6S plus, and not both upgraded to Max. Both uses a case, and the reception is definitely improved. We could have a clear phone conversation.

Reactions: PeteLP

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
#RETURN GATE 2018 :)

Just got another animated searching for signal on my phone :(
Happened to me yesterday. Thought it was just the area I was in. Just happened to me at home. I'm on Verizon with XS Max and had previously been using an unlocked ATT iPhone x and Galaxy Note 9 with no issues.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I can’t believe Apple would release something like this. If this goes viral and makes headlines it will really harm Apple if it’s a hardware issue with both phones. A really small reduction in signal over previous phones is one thing but it’s sounds like it’s really bad for some users. I guess we will have a better idea next week on what’s going on here.

Reactions: decypher44

GarrettNolan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
I too can back up that this is not just limited to the MAX, as I have the XS and am having these issues. I have the official Apple XS leather folio case on the device as well, for whatever that's worth. On my X I had the same folio case and none of these issues. My carrier (Sprint) is not having any issues with signal with the other X in the house right now, just my XS is having problems staying connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.