Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I have not detected any issue on the XS other than that it tends to hang on longer to my 2.4Ghz wifi rather than connecting to my 5Ghz compared to the iPhone 8s of family members. I may end up providing a separate SSID.

I recall that when the 7 launched on iOS 10 it lost LTE connectivity all the time which was eventually fixed with a combined iOS and carrier FW update. I would expect the same here.

RickNY

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2012
Ugh. Ok, I’m not the only one. On T-Mobile here. Switched from X to XS Max. So, from Intel to Intel. Still have the X to compare to. Max is showing 1 bar in most areas of my house, and also will drop to 4G. None of my former T-Mobile phones did that. The X is showing 2-3 bars and LTE everywhere in the house. That’s the first test. Second test was while driving on I-495 in NY today, a road that I always maintain coverage - the XS Max completely went to no signal at all between exits 70-71 near Riverhead NY. The X (which my fiancée inherited) still managed to maintain 1-2 bars LTE in the same area.
Also - I reset network settings after every OS update and phone upgrade, so that’s been done.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Just tested it again while the plane is landing in FLL. The Verizon LTE signal bar certainly took a longer time to re-establish.

Over all, I feel my internet speed choppy. At time it is really faster than the X, at time it is really slow due to low or no signal. (In the same area)

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Just tested it again while the plane is landing in FLL. The Verizon LTE signal bar certainly took a longer time to re-establish.

Over all, I feel my internet speed choppy. At time it is really faster than the X, at time it is really slow due to low or no signal. (In the same area)

Not sure the exact details but "while the plane is landing" is not a great time to test something like that. An airport like FLL will likely have cell towers on many different parts of the airport, including mini towers focused just on the terminal. It will take a little longer to establish since it's working on finding the best signal in a long list of options.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Not sure the exact details but "while the plane is landing" is not a great time to test something like that. An airport like FLL will likely have cell towers on many different parts of the airport, including mini towers focused just on the terminal. It will take a little longer to establish since it's working on finding the best signal in a long list of options.

The thing is with my previous iPhone X, it was noticeably faster, that is what bugs me

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
This thread is all over the place. Some reporting reduced reception, some reporting no reception, some reporting the same reception, some saying it's better reception... If there is an inherent antenna issue it would be the same for everyone, not just some. I did my own testing against 8 + and 6 + non scientific and totally subjective, but I see very little variance (+ or -) in reception rather on LTE or Wifi. I already posted this in another thread so I won't rehash. My Max is performing as expected!

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
I wish I had paid attention with my old phone, but since I’m always on WiFi when at work or home, I never really thought about it.

One thing I just tested was inside the house and outside. Turned off WiFi. Inside the house was 1-2 bars. Three steps outside the front door gave me full bars. Is that normal? Like I said, I never paid attention before.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I didn’t notice yesterday when I first got it. In fact, it was faster in my home.

But I tra
This thread is all over the place. Some reporting reduced reception, some reporting no reception, some reporting the same reception, some saying it's better reception... If there is an inherent antenna issue it would be the same for everyone, not just some. I did my own testing against 8 + and 6 + non scientific and totally subjective, but I see very little variance (+ or -) in reception rather on LTE or Wifi. I already posted this in another thread so I won't rehash. My Max is performing as expected!

Did you test it out in different locations? Different cities?

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I wish I had paid attention with my old phone, but since I’m always on WiFi when at work or home, I never really thought about it.

One thing I just tested was inside the house and outside. Turned off WiFi. Inside the house was 1-2 bars. Three steps outside the front door gave me full bars. Is that normal? Like I said, I never paid attention before.

I did pay attention and I still have multiple phones to check. Inside my home in the front of the house I get 2 bars in the back of the house which is the side nearest the tower I get 3 bars... Outside I get 4 bars. I think it also depends on the construction of your house. I know in my work building I get less reception inside.. way less and when I walk out boom... I get way better signal. Lots of metal in that work office space and they use a lot of sound proofing. I also have a double roof on my house.

[doublepost=1537744848][/doublepost]
Did you test it out in different locations? Different cities?

I did I test it in multiple cities in and around the area... some more rural than others and as I said all 3 phones had the same reception in looking at the bars and doing the speed test. Again totally subjective!!!

Reactions: decypher44

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

The number of bars showing doesn’t really mean anything.

zemaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
I have noticed that reception has in fact been worse on my iPhone Xs Max when compared to my old iPhone X on T-Mobile. Not only that, but it seems to have a harder time with Wifi also, keeps hanging/dropping connection to my home network.
[doublepost=1537746267][/doublepost]I have noticed that reception has in fact been worse on my iPhone Xs Max when compared to my old iPhone X on T-Mobile. Not only that, but it seems to have a harder time with Wifi also, keeps hanging/dropping connection to my home network.

Well look at that my Wifi times out and it posted twice from my Xs Max, the irony.​

Reactions: a reader and Velin

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I have noticed that reception has in fact been worse on my iPhone Xs Max when compared to my old iPhone X on T-Mobile. Not only that, but it seems to have a harder time with Wifi also, keeps hanging/dropping connection to my home network.
[doublepost=1537746267][/doublepost]I have noticed that reception has in fact been worse on my iPhone Xs Max when compared to my old iPhone X on T-Mobile. Not only that, but it seems to have a harder time with Wifi also, keeps hanging/dropping connection to my home network.

Well look at that my Wifi times out and it posted twice from my Xs Max, the irony.​

Someone else posted in another thread having issues and returned the phone for another and now had no such issues. If this was really an antenna issue (as many claim) every ones reception would as bad as yours... The Apple Stores and carriers would be inundated with complaints and people wanting to replace and/or return. That doesn't seem to be the case. I do think there are likely some phones out there and this will get some coverage before it over.

Swap it out that is what I would do! I have no such issues with my Max.

Reactions: Orangeman13

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
Someone else posted in another thread having issues and returned the phone for another and now had no such issues. If this was really an antenna issue (as many claim) every ones reception would as bad as yours... The Apple Stores and carriers would be inundated with complaints and people wanting to replace and/or return. That doesn't seem to be the case. I do think there are likely some phones out there and this will get some coverage before it over.

Swap it out that is what I would do! I have no such issues with my Max.
Me either. And I agree, if this was “worldwide” this thread would blow up big time!

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Me either. And I agree, if this was “worldwide” this thread would blow up big time!
Already had reports from Germany and UK. BTW, the issue is not occurring in places with moderate to strong signals. This is occurring in areas with weak signals. The older phones maintained the connection, the Xs and XS Max were dropping the signal. That's what the complaints are about. The antennas on the new models are not as good with weak signals. You can't use speed tests to prove or disprove the issue. Field test mode on the phones will show you the strength of the signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.