Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I can’t believe Apple would release something like this. If this goes viral and makes headlines it will really harm Apple if it’s a hardware issue with both phones. A really small reduction in signal over previous phones is one thing but it’s sounds like it’s really bad for some users. I guess we will have a better idea next week on what’s going on here.
I believe the problem affecting some users will go viral. A new release weekend is a long time when trouble is found.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I can’t imagine Apple would release a product knowing that the reception and attenas are bad

Imagine it. A new model of iPhone is going to drop every September whether the hardware bugs have been worked out or not. It'll get shipped to the masses in the millions bugs/poor design and all. Imagine being on an iPhone team at apple. You've got 365 days to figure out a problem that doesn't seem to have a good solution- but you've got to hit your drop dead date. So stuff gets shoehorned in and engineers (and execs) cross their fingers after stuff gets shipped out all around the world.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Imagine it. A new model of iPhone is going to drop every September whether the hardware bugs have been worked out or not. It'll get shipped to the masses in the millions bugs/poor design and all. Imagine being on an iPhone team at apple. You've got 365 days to figure out a problem that doesn't seem to have a good solution- but you've got to hit your drop dead date. So stuff gets shoehorned in and engineers (and execs) cross their fingers after stuff gets shipped out all around the world.
They were well aware of the FCC tests showing how poor their antenna design was. But you are right, you have a hard deadline, and you have to produce a product whether it works or not.

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
That's not how any of this works at all.

We all saw a delayed ship with the iPhone X last year, because of low production yield. We also know more about the AirPower delays, for a product that may or may not ever ship. Apple has delayed iCloud Messages, group FaceTime and dual SIM for later dates. Apple delays frequently when the quality isn't there to match their standards... and probably more so in the last 2 years.

Yes, poor decisions and mistakes are made, but this is not a small company making hedges on how crappy their product can be and still launch. Nobody is crossing their fingers. Nobody is trying to hit a random date.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
They were well aware of the FCC tests showing how poor their antenna design was. But you are right, you have a hard deadline, and you have to produce a product whether it works or not.
There is nothing written in stone that says Apple has to release a new phone at the same time every year. If Apple had found serious problems with the Antenna on the new phones, they could have issued a statement to the public noting that they want to deliver the best product possible. And due to some problems found, release will be delayed. That would be a win for Apple long term (PR wise).

I don't see Apple releasing a statement next week as some are thinking. I think more and more reports with clear details will need to be submitted for Apple to replicate, before they will issue a statement.

Not to derail things, look at the recent iMac Pro release. Lots of people had problems with it. Many were stating it was hardware related, when it ended up being software. I don't know which this is, or if it is a combination of the two. I think people need to report to Apple as specifically as possible, not just say I am having a problem, and then give Apple some time to sift through it all and see if they can narrow down the cause and produce a remedy.

Reactions: alee

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Just switched from A&T to Verizon on my sim free XS and signal is all over the place vs my Iphone 7. I don't feel like a software update can fix this and will likely be returning my XS this week . If you haven't reported the problem to apple yet then please do so .

Reactions: ssl0408

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
What's the easiest way to report, I without a doubt have a signal issue this is my 4th iPhone on Verizon and the signal on this phone is noticeably worse than my 6s plus, 7 plus, and X.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
They could have delayed until oct or nov like last year. I think releasing a poor product will do a lot more damage to apple then waiting a few months.

If it’s an antenna design issue what difference would another 30 days make?

IMO, it’s an iOS 12/Carrier issue. Only time will tell. If it ends up being an antenna design issue again then I would be at a loss for words. :apple:

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
If it’s an antenna design issue what difference would another 30 days make?

IMO, it’s an iOS 12/Carrier issue. Only time will tell. If it ends up being an antenna design issue again then I would be at a loss for words. :apple:
Not affecting older phones on 12.0. I highly doubt it's a carrier issue. Seems like this is a worldwide issue.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'm not yet an XS/Max owner, but soon. I read through most of the comments, good input all around. Yes, I'm not too keen on the Intel-only radio, and yes I'd read the WiWavelength post a couple of days ago but I'm not going to be swayed by an anonymous poster with only 6 posts in roughly 7 years who has popped up after 5 years of nothing.

On the other side, none of my friends who work in the field with wireless networks never made it to the football/fútbol parties this weekend - they're busy balancing network loads for the millions of new iPhones and the related IMEI/ICCID/MEID numbers that were crammed on to their networks pretty much overnight. They all hate this time of year now. I went to a nearby Costco to buy my Max, but their registration portal was down (again) and it had been mostly down for around 3 days, so I'll wait until later this week.

Also, the modem FW has been updated with 12.1B1 as of this morning. I've installed it on a VZW 6S+, VZW 6, and ATTWS 6S - I have identical versions of the latter two in my company on iOS 12 or 10.3.3. The newer modem FW has really helped with network connectivity since Friday, when connecting to VZW or ATTWS was a PITA. The ATTWS FW is 33.2 on iOS 12 and 33.5.2 on 12.1 with VZW going from 33.1 on iOS 12 to 33.5.4 (my PRL remained unchanged at 15576 but that's likely irrelevant to most VZW users as I'm still on the old UL Nationwide plan).

I'm not doubting anyone, and I'm not piling on to anything. The newer modem FW has got my devices working fine again. My GF is in the UK visiting family with her new XS being shown around, getting on 12.1 herself has helped out not getting cut off twice during a FT voice call over cellular.

I'm waiting a few days for the networks to get balanced somewhat. The only cellular device I own that's still performing well is my ATTWS Netgear MHS, and it's connecting to the rarely-loaded Band 66. I certainly hope that the new baseband/modem FW and network backend work that's inevitable at the iPhone release fixes this for all of us...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
What's the easiest way to report, I without a doubt have a signal issue this is my 4th iPhone on Verizon and the signal on this phone is noticeably worse than my 6s plus, 7 plus, and X.
You can talk to Apple Support via the app on your phone, or you can contact them via the website. You can also contact them via Twitter. I would use the phone app.

Reactions: twennywonn

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
So it's receptiongate this year, there was me thinking it'd be the screens like usual. :rolleyes:

Do people seriously think Apple would release a phone with an antenna problem after the iPhone 4? Knowing how they'd be excoriated in the press about it? Come on... My bet is this is either a software / carrier settings issue, is caused by people trying to do a speed test while their phone is doing other stuff e.g. downloading all their iCloud data after setting it up (which eats a lot of bandwidth that the speed test app has to share), the bandwagon effect or confirmation bias (or a combination of the two). I notice a marked lack of any field test mode signal strength data...

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I agree. I just did the underground sf muni test and got the same signals at the same stops as my x. If it’s bad hardware design everyone would have horrible service like some are reporting.

So it's receptiongate this year, there was me thinking it'd be the screens like usual. :rolleyes:

Do people seriously think Apple would release a phone with an antenna problem after the iPhone 4? Knowing how they'd be excoriated in the press about it? Come on... My bet is this is either a software / carrier settings issue, is caused by people trying to do a speed test while their phone is doing other stuff e.g. downloading all their iCloud data after setting it up (which eats a lot of bandwidth that the speed test app has to share), the bandwagon effect or confirmation bias (or a combination of the two). I notice a marked lack of any field test mode signal strength data...

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Not affecting older phones on 12.0. I highly doubt it's a carrier issue. Seems like this is a worldwide issue.

I did post earlier that initially my 8+ had poor reception after the upgrade on the 17th. AT&T pushed an update to my phone that required an off/on cycle on the 19th. My LTE did return to where it was on 11.

However, your point is strong. It does seem to be primarily Xs. There are still a lot of software/firmware adjustments that can be made. Need a few weeks to difinatively say firmware/hardware. :apple:

Ngamtns706

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
Signal is same bars here as my old X, nothing seems any different. Faster if anything at night. Lots of people in town for an event right now so it’s a little congested during day. On Verizon. I tried to get a carrier update but still 33.1

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the first thing that happened when I switched phones this year is a prompt to update carrier settings.

Reactions: draa

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
I have reset network settings and checked for carrier update but I'm on the latest. I chatted with apple and they suggested I leave feedback at https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html so I did.
[doublepost=1537733921][/doublepost]
I agree. I just did the underground sf muni test and got the same signals at the same stops as my x. If it’s bad hardware design everyone would have horrible service like some are reporting.

I'm really hopeful its just software, I LOVE the phone and am really happy. The thing that sucks is I will keep it whether it gets fixed or not because I don't like android and I don't want to go back to a 5.8 screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.