Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
But remember that we are on weekend, let's see when ppl come out of wifi range in the car for example. It's frustrating to lose the signal when you need it.
I hope that is only a minor glitch
True but people still use their phones on the weekend especially for data. Some, like me have even more time to use and test their phones.

I’ve been watching YouTube and other data apps like crazy. I’ve also made calls.

I just think that if all iPhone X’s/xs max were dropping calls, and being very slow, TONS of people would find their way to this thread.

As it is there are almost 5 times the views on the “OMG the camera” thread

Reactions: Hernan4651

stevewil131

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Fort Worth Texas
I am on T-Mobile and am seeing quite the opposite as most here. On my X I always had to use WIFI when in my house. It was really the only time I used it. On my max I am getting download speeds of 30 to 40mb. So far I have no complaints. I wonder if this is just certain types of signal that are not working as well. My signal strength still shows low on the max when in the house but the transfer rates don’t reflect that.

Reactions: Orangeman13

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Over the course of the weekend, I have seen increase in cellular speed at home. Around town, speed has been about the same as my iPhone X. Haven't seen or experienced any signal drop etc.

I think the problems some are experiencing will be ironed out shortly between carrier and iOS updates. Just make sure to file bug reports and contact on social media.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Just landed in Chicago O’Hare. My Verizon signal is unstable here and my internet speed is slower too, I am having trouble loading website at time. This did not happen on my previous iPhone X in the very same location.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I am in a rock solid AT&T area and if I airplane mode mine I get full signal but after a couple of mins it goes to 1 or 2 bars.

In the country where I usually live, T-Mobile uses Bands 2, 4, and 12.

The iPhone switches back and forth between 2 and 12 and I have never been able to understand why.

I will show a full four bars on Band 12 but data is slower.

I will show only one or two bars on Band 2 but the data is much, much faster...like 4X faster.

In the same location if I'm working for just a few minutes, I'll notice the switching back and forth. If anybody can explain that, I'd like to know!

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
I got a carrier update after iOS 12 install on old phone. Didn’t note the version number. Used backup to get my Xs Max going. Update isn’t being triggered.

For VWZ users, what version did yours get updated to? I’m currently at 33.1.

/side note: how did autocorrect change “backup” to “nacho”??

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
I got a carrier update after iOS 12 install on old phone. Didn’t note the version number. Used backup to get my Xs Max going. Update isn’t being triggered.

For VWZ users, what version did yours get updated to? I’m currently at 33.1.

/side note: how did autocorrect change “backup” to “nacho”??

33.1 is what I'm on.

Reactions: decypher44

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So far mine seems better than my old X. Inside my house, for some reason, my signal drops down to 1 bar and I get a lot of dropped calls. Yesterday looking at my Max in certain areas of the house I was actually getting 4 bars. Haven't had it long enough to test it out long term, but so far it's good.

Reactions: Orangeman13

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
You = not getting it.

Just like with the iPhone 4 holding the antennas issue. If you’re in an area of strong service it won’t affect you. If you’re in an area of weak service it absolutely does. Numerous posts have shown lower reception with this new phone.
I live in Cincinnati but traveled to Louisville yesterday in RURAL areas of Kentucky.

ZERO problems.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Generally the LTE is fine when I already have a decent signal but if I am in an area with weak signal - it's far worse than the X. In terms of WiFi - it's much stranger. Often - it will only get 50-70 where the X would get 400-550 mbs. But then after leaving home then coming back it'll get the 550 - then go back to 50 mbs at some point.

I really hope this is something that can be fixed with a carrier update cuz wow.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
The only people seeing a carrier update right after setting up the new phone first thing, are people running Developer or possibly Public beta. Stock iOS does not get the carrier update.

I got a carrier update right at the beginning of the iTunes restore on my Max on Friday and I've never done a beta or a dev.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The antenna design reeks of iPhone 4, and we all know how that turned out...
Speaking of which, I wonder how many are sporting cases with the new phone, where the case overs all the way around the phone.
[doublepost=1537718523][/doublepost]
I got a carrier update right at the beginning of the iTunes restore on my Max on Friday and I've never done a beta or a dev.
Mine must have updated without me realizing it. You are the fourth or fifth person to post the same thing to me. I was wrong. I am going to amend my post, so I don't keep having people respond to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: edlex

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
#AntennaGateStrikesBack

Apple going with Intel instead of Qualcomm may end up biting them in the arse. If more people complain and/or return the new phones it will be a massive headache for Apple for at least a couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freakonomics101

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
I upgraded from the X on launch day and overall, I have to say that in most cases I do see better performance. However, I have noticed a few symptoms that I thought it was just me or the local network. Seeing other people's comments here it seems that it is something more widespread.

Here are the symptoms:
- device occasionally searches for network (searching bar animation is displayed) even in areas with strong signal
- 4G/LTE data connection stalls. Toggling flight mode on and off restores the data connection for a few seconds, then it stalls again
- uplink may be poor under certain circumstances

It sounds like some (if not all) of the above are due to software issues. It is the first time they use a 4x4 antenna setup, so maybe they didn't get everything right on the first iteration.

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
XS Max from X here and I thought it was just in my mind. I live in NYC and my connection speeds have been incredibly slow. In Manhattan yesterday I couldn’t even watch a video. Noticing more low signal areas in Brooklyn as well.

Hopefully an update fixes this or I will consider returning back to an X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.