Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n20nine

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Already had reports from Germany and UK. BTW, the issue is not occurring in places with moderate to strong signals. This is occurring in areas with weak signals. The older phones maintained the connection, the Xs and XS Max were dropping the signal. That's what the complaints are about. The antennas on the new models are not as good with weak signals. You can't use speed tests to prove or disprove the issue. Field test mode on the phones will show you the strength of the signal.

Can you share links to those reports please?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
#RETURN GATE 2018 :)

Just got another animated searching for signal on my phone :(

Knew there was reason to hang onto my SE. The searching for signal indicator is far less entertaining at probably half the price, which sounds right for an indicator one never wants to see anyway. :D

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
XS Max here, upgrading from an Intel X on T-Mobile (both unlocked, purchased direct from Apple). There is a definite decrease in cell/WiFi performance on the Max. By no means do I have scientific data to back this up, but side by side, the Max: 1) drops WiFi signal at about half the distance from the router as the X, 2) has a harder time holding onto LTE/cell and more often loses all service, 3) has noticeably slower up/down speeds on both WiFi and cellular in low signal areas.

I know this is all anecdotal. I have reset network settings, tried the 12.1 beta, full restored the phone to 12.0 and setup as a new phone without using the backup (annoying).

I’ve also compared to an X that’s on my T-Mobile account to verify this wasn’t a tower or router issue.

The only reason I upgraded from a perfectly fine X was for band 71 support on T-Mobile and a supposedly better modem. Pretty disappointed at the moment.

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
I’m not complaining about how many bars I have but my phone is saying “no signal” in places I have used my phone many times before. In fact I honestly can’t remember if my X ever said no signal. I live in the city so signal is not an issue at least with my prior phones. I’m hopeful that it can be resolved. I have 2 friends that picked up an XS Max on Verizon that are reporting similar things.

Reactions: mydogeatsbeats

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
XS Max here, upgrading from an Intel X on T-Mobile (both unlocked, purchased direct from Apple). There is a definite decrease in cell/WiFi performance on the Max. By no means do I have scientific data to back this up, but side by side, the Max: 1) drops WiFi signal at about half the distance from the router as the X, 2) has a harder time holding onto LTE/cell and more often loses all service, 3) has noticeably slower up/down speeds on both WiFi and cellular in low signal areas.

I know this is all anecdotal. I have reset network settings, tried the 12.1 beta, full restored the phone to 12.0 and setup as a new phone without using the backup (annoying).

I’ve also compared to an X that’s on my T-Mobile account to verify this wasn’t a tower or router issue.

The only reason I upgraded from a perfectly fine X was for band 71 support on T-Mobile and a supposedly better modem. Pretty disappointed at the moment.
Make sure to report all this to Apple. Hang in there. I feel confident Apple will make an official statement well before out return period expires.

Reactions: odin and decypher44

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Damn.... that nagging thought in the back of the mind....
Apple vs Qualcomm should have never gotten to the point it got to...
And now the Iphone does not have the best components it could have had...
:(

I feel you, but I don't know if there was any another way that fight was going to work out in our (consumer's) favor.

#AntennaGateStrikesBack

Apple going with Intel instead of Qualcomm may end up biting them in the arse. If more people complain and/or return the new phones it will be a massive headache for Apple for at least a couple of years.

And this is just with 4G and LTE. If Intel cannot keep up with Qualcomm with regard to 5G over the next few years, Apple will have to accept Samsung snatching up more of the top end market, or they'll have to go with a non-American company, or Apple with have to bend the knee to Qualcomm. None of these worst case scenarios will be pleasant for Apple, but I'd vote for the latter at this point in time.

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Make sure to report all this to Apple. Hang in there. I feel confident Apple will make an official statement well before out return period expires.

Already working them on this but there’s not much of a resolution at this point since it’s not a very measurable issue. Technically, the phone still works, just worse than my X.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I feel you, but I don't know if there was any another way that fight was going to work out in our (consumer's) favor.

And this is just with 4G and LTE. If Intel cannot keep up with Qualcomm with regard to 5G over the next few years, Apple will have to accept Samsung snatching up more of the top end market, or they'll have to go with a non-American company, or Apple with have to bend the knee to Qualcomm. None of these worst case scenarios will be pleasant for Apple, but I'd vote for the latter at this point in time.

I don't know if it's the modem. The X GSM model is using intel modems and didn't have issues like the Xs and Xs Max are having.

Reactions: jeremiah256

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
My experience is anecdotal but I called my wife from a local store while running errands today and she complained that I sounded like crap through my XS Max. I call her often from the same location and she never complained about my X.

Reactions: mydogeatsbeats

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
For those who want to enter Field Test Mode, to find out how your phone is performing, follow the instructions at this link.

My Max and 8+ remained + or - within 2 or 3 points of each other.
[doublepost=1537750786][/doublepost]
I don't know if it's the modem. The X GSM model is using intel modems and didn't have issues like the Xs and Xs Max are having.

I don't think this has anything to do with the intel modems, but in reality I truly don't know. I think the modem would impact the speed, but not reception.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
My Max and 8+ remained + or - within 2 or 3 points of each other.
[doublepost=1537750786][/doublepost]

I don't think this has anything to do with the intel modems, but in reality I truly don't know. I think the modem would impact the speed, but not reception.
It could be related to what bands the phone is using on any given tower. Maybe it's not switching correctly from a congested band to a different one properly and thus the loss of signal or decreased data rate.

babelsquirrel

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2017
I have done some side by side testing comparing a Qualcomm 8+ vs an Xs Max on VZW. The VZW signal at my house is fairly weak band 13. The 8+ did better with band 13. Neither of these lines are anywhere near the deprioritization threshold. They are both on the feb unlimited plan. Both phones are running iOS 12.0 with Carrier update 33.1

download/upload in Mbps

Qualcomm 8+
5.67/2.51
5.29/1.34
7.29/1.86
4.52/1.95
2.38/0.82

Xs Max
1.49/0.32
2.48/0.70
3.16/0.92
2.98/0.16
4.67/0.30

Here are some results where I can pick up some weak band 2/4 signals. These results are more mixed. The 8+ did better on the downlink. The Xs Max on the uplink. We might be seeing benefits of 4x4 MIMO on the Xs Max here.

Qualcomm 8+
58.0/2.47
32.1/2.79
48.3/2.36

Xs Max
35.0/4.39
29.3/3.72
38.7/3.26

I realize that anecdotal data like this isn't conclusive. I don't have a test lab at my disposal.

Last edited:

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I have done some side by side testing comparing a Qualcomm 8+ vs an Xs Max on VZW. The VZW signal at my house is fairly weak band 13. The 8+ did better with band 13. Neither of these lines are anywhere near the deprioritization threshold. They are both on the feb unlimited plan.

download/upload in Mbps

Qualcomm 8+
5.67/2.51
5.29/1.34
7.29/1.86
4.52/1.95
2.38/0.82

Xs Max tests
1.49/0.32
2.48/0.70
3.16/0.92
2.98/0.16
4.67/0.30

Here are some results where I can pick up some weak band 2/4 signals. These results are more mixed. The 8+ did better on the downlink. The Xs Max on the uplink. We might be seeing benefits of 4x4 MIMO on the Xs Max here.

Qualcomm 8+
58.0/2.47
32.1/2.79
48.3/2.36

Xs Max
35.0/4.39
29.3/3.72
38.7/3.26

I realize that anecdotal data like this isn't conclusive. I don't have a test lab at my disposal.

Feel sad seeing this kind of data. Reception is the most important thing...and we paid a lot for the phone

Hernan4651

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2018
Guys, in that webpage that you post before, it state that the modem have nothing to do with the problem. The problem is something bad in the antenna, placement, quality, etc.
In the graph posted there you see that the problem is the negative gain in the antenna, not the power of it. But, the gain affects the reception and then alter the power output .
The problem could be the position of the phone relative to the antenna i think. So, if you are facing it you could get great results, but if not it could be affected. That is what i get of the graphs

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I just tried logging into my Chase app and it hung up and then I got an error message saying I need to be connected to the internet, despite having 2 bars.
This may be good news? I've experienced this same error on my 6S Plus on iOS 12.0. Maybe this is a software issue.

Edit: Thank you @Hernan4651, @OTACORB, and @Packers1958 for clearing up that it's probably not the modem. I didn't read the linked website.

Reactions: OTACORB

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I would have to agree with this since I notice some areas I have full coverage went down to 2-3 bars and download speed shows a decrease as well.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
I’m really hoping this gets more attention to where it hits mainstream. That’s when Apple will have to address the issue.

MR better have this on the front page tomorrow.
If this problem is widespread how could it not get more attention?

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
This is my day 2 using the phone, I am definitely noticing more signal drop, especially after I walk away and lock the phone and then come back.

If I already traded in my iPhone X...how can I get it back....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.