Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
This is my day 2 using the phone, I am definitely noticing more signal drop, especially after I walk away and lock the phone and then come back.

If I already traded in my iPhone X...how can I get it back....

Buy one on Swappa?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
My XS (no max) gets solid reception in my basement, which my X did not. I am getting better reception and faster speeds with my XS. Loving it.
The Xs may be using a different band than what your X is using, and if that band is fairly strong, you will have no issues. But in areas of weaker signals, where that band is not available, your phone may lose connection on the same band your X is using.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Not all tests based on numbers are right. Just cause you in same room doesn't mean you will always get same signal.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
This is my day 2 using the phone, I am definitely noticing more signal drop, especially after I walk away and lock the phone and then come back.

If I already traded in my iPhone X...how can I get it back....

I’ll sell you mine. 256 GB 7 bills

Reactions: Tibits

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I have an extra T-mobile SIM. I tried multiple tests inside my home. The rsp0 for Xs Max and X was -118 and -119. The speeds for Wi-Fi were 174/172. The data speed on signal was 32/31 Mbps. Both have 2 bars LTE signal strength. I could not find any noticeable difference. But I will carry both phones and check out clarity of voice calls etc. At this stage I am not concerned, but then I have had this phone only for a few hours.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Last week prior to launch, the X was 5 bars in the apple store.
While I was in the store the other date I updated the carrier settings, it dropped between 3-4 bars.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
unfortunately intel modems are not like Qualcomm modems
The x some had Qualcomm some intel. All the XS and Xs Max have intel

Apple fights ...........we get screwed

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Do you all think this can be fixed with an update?

Or should I plan to return the phone? I really do like the Xs Max though, it is really snappy.

gower2352

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Sprint user here XS Max, on all of my calls the audio is very choppy every two seconds or so. Never had this problem with the X.

So annoying.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Sprint user here XS Max, on all of my calls the audio is very choppy every two seconds or so. Never had this problem with the X.

So annoying.

Disable wi-fi calling and try cellular only. See if that clears it up. I find audio quality on cellular/LTE-only is always superior to wifi-enabled calling, which I despise. This is true for multiple carriers across different iPhone models. The setting should be under Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling.

Reactions: Tibits

gower2352

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Disable wi-fi calling and try cellular only. See if that clears it up. I find audio quality on cellular/LTE-only is always superior to wifi-enabled calling, which I despise. This is true for multiple carriers across different iPhone models. The setting should be under Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling.

Yeah I don’t have WiFi calling enabled. The voice connection will be clear for a little bit during the call then get choppy where words get cut out etc. It has happened on multiple calls in multiple locations today. I guess I will call Sprint who will probably just send me to Apple :(

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Yeah I don’t have WiFi calling enabled. The voice connection will be clear for a little bit during the call then get choppy where words get cut out etc. It has happened on multiple calls in multiple locations today. I guess I will call Sprint who will probably just send me to Apple

In which case, I feel for you. Audio quality is so very important to what I need an iPhone for. Probably you too. Unacceptable for a device costing north of $1k. The only other advice I have is, wired headset plugged into the lightning port; that also does wonders for audio quality. Even with Bluetooth gear improvements, wired is the way to go for the best audio.

But if you are on cellular only, and you still have choppy cellular call audio, then this is the worst possible situation. It shouldn't matter what your peripheral gear is, cellular/LTE-only voice should be clear with no chop, no drops. If it continues, I'd return it.

Still rocking my sim-free iPhone 7 with the Qualcomm radios (model MN8G2LL/A), carrier Verizon, cellular audio is top-notch, especially with wired headset. About as close as you can get to landline quality when using a cellphone.

Reactions: draa and gower2352
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.