Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
We need to be mindful of the potential of this, with the introduction of the likes of the proposed CBDCs, this has the ability to ensure that freedoms are restricted - spend too much on water, beer, gas, food in a day, and that's it, nothing more for you till tomorrow / next week / year.... say something wrong to someone and you can't spend your hard earn money for a week...

Give a friend $10, and you could be taxed on that, or even buy a friend a beer in the local bar.

The whole thing stinks, and is nothing more than those at the EU/WEF/UN/FED to gain more and more world domination for their families.

The AppStore has been reliable and fine for years - people haven't been complaining from what I can see - so why the sudden desire to change it?
Nope.
If you agree with paying for/being responsible what YOU use then this is only the thin end of the wedge. It's difficult to argue against in some cases.
If I don't drink/smoke/or drive a car and I exercise regularly, (that's a hypothetical me by the way), why should my tax/insurance increase to cover that deliberately overweight and alcoholic smoker that drives an unmaintained 8.0L V10 truck? Now monitoring is one way to ensure things are done fairly but it's difficult to argue against the principle.

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
Nope.
If you agree with paying for/being responsible what YOU use then this is only the thin end of the wedge. It's difficult to argue against in some cases.
If I don't drink/smoke/or drive a car and I exercise regularly, (that's a hypothetical me by the way), why should my tax/insurance increase to cover that deliberately overweight and alcoholic smoker that drives an unmaintained 8.0L V10 truck? Now monitoring is one way to ensure things are done fairly but it's difficult to argue against the principle.
As far as I'm aware, insurance cost is relative to your health condition - as you need a sign off from your doctor in order to get insurance.

Same as your car insurance cost is relative to the car you drive - faster car, more you pay.

What I don't agree with is if I have money to spend, that some bureaucrat is going to tell me what I can spend it on.

It's called freedom.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Nope.

Smokers (and tobacco, in general) already pay for more for insurance, or at least everywhere I've worked. At my current company it's is an additional $720/year. I also get a discount of around $40/month for staying active/fit; I submit my steps weekly, along with proof that I had a physical, did my yearly bloodwork, ran a 5/10k, etc.

The unmaintained truck already pays a lot more in fuel taxes than my 38mpg VW.

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Governments have to act in the interest of the customers. How can it be in the interest of the customers that Apple decides which apps they can install and gets a 30% share of every purchase? In the US consumer rights are pretty much non-existent, but that might change.

At this rate, they’ll change for the worse. It almost seems to be a point of pride to the US Congress that there are no privacy laws. They’d rather grandstand and make wild accusations that reveal their ignorance than just craft and pass reasonable privacy legislation.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
In the past the US have even threatened to retaliate if countries create laws that hurt American companies. They do not understand that those laws do not target specific companies through. Apple, Google and Microsoft were just impacted the most because they had the most questionable user practices.

I am so glad that even if I user Facebook oder Instagram in Europe, my privacy is protected much more that in the US.

In Europe we can even use a cheap trick to get rid of all ads on Facebook: Just change your birth date to make you younger than 18. It will not impact your Facebook experience in any bad way, but it will make all ads go away. Thank you, EU! PS: I am 15 on Facebook :)

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I don't think Apple should provide tech support, but the hardware warranty shouldn't be affected. I have no problem with letting the end-user decide.

I've been using Apple products since 2003ish, and I've never once contacted Apple tech support, but I've had things replaced under warranty, so I personally wouldn't care.
Whilst I generally agree with what you’re saying, I think for the example of side loading (and we have to consider what-ifs here) a phone was bricked after a side loaded app did it. We know Apple have managed to brick some phones with updates and they have taken care of, and honoured that support. As they should and as they must. Should they then provide support for a million customers who have a side loaded app, containing a bricking virus? Because this has absolutely happened with PC's before. Even some malware that causes a device to interrupt a firmware update can brick a phone/computer/any other device.

I'm just wondering where that line is and when Apple cease to become responsible for irresponsible downloading of software.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
The PC market (including Macs) is full of scams, viruses and problems in general.

So is iOS. Just go onto the App Store and count how many scam apps there are by just typing "Slime" or "Fortnite"

Locking down the OS does not protect you from scams and malware. In honesty it only made people more susceptible to them. People got lazy thinking Apple would protect them and they could click on anything willy nilly, which in turn has made it so easy for bad actors to get access to people's Instagram accounts through phishing DMs imitating people they know

They are of course free to restrict US consumers (No Sim slot, return of lightning, no sideloading) as they have Biden in their pocket. For those us who don't live in the US, I doubt the majority would want to return to the Apple walled garden.

If they had Biden in their pocket the Apple Watch trade ban would not have gone in effect. The Biden Administration even issued an executive order demanding Right to Repair legislation and for Apple to open up more. Congress is just old and slow as they've been trying to push for similar legislation like the Open App Markets Act, but because of other events, politics, and laziness they just haven't voted on anything yet.

Once again governments thinking that they can tell people and companies what to do, this will not end well, and will not benefit anybody in the long-run.

Funny, because the USB-C mandate has had great success and has made so many people buy iPhone 15s now that Lightning is finally gone. A lot of those purchases being from Android users.

If you don't like Apple's business model, quite simply - go else where...

It's been two years and there's still bozos saying this? Telling people to go to the other duopoly whenever someone criticizes the fruit computer company doesn't work. That solves nothing, especially when Android OEMs continue to mimic Apple's business models that people hate, like removing the headphone jack and no longer including a damn charger with their $1000+ phone.

As soon as people realize that the government is there to represent the people, not control the people - the world will become a better place...to many in power have the desire for world dominance, at any cost.

Europeans seem to be quite happy with the mandates on Apple. I'd say that's pretty good representation.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
In the past the US have even threatened to retaliate if countries create laws that hurt American companies. They do not understand that those laws do not target specific companies through. Apple, Google and Microsoft were just impacted the most because they had the most questionable user practices.

I am so glad that even if I user Facebook oder Instagram in Europe, my privacy is protected much more that in the US.

In Europe we can even use a cheap trick to get rid of all ads on Facebook: Just change your birth date to make you younger than 18. It will not impact your Facebook experience in any bad way, but it will make all ads go away. Thank you, EU! PS: I am 15 on Facebook :)

According to recent news articles, apparently the ads get much…worse if you’re a minor.

Quick edit: nevermind I’m remembering that wrong. They get worse if you’re an adult who likes a few minor’s pages.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Ok so let’s force Nintendo to allow sideloading then

This point has been made and dismissed over and over again.

Nobody ever said you could run whatever software you want on the Switch. It’s a game console locked down for a specific purpose, playing Nintendo games. That was the deal everyone signed up for.

These are supposed to be general purpose computers, or at the very least they are taking over the role of general purpose computers for the vast majority of the population.

I don’t want my only choice in computing to be locked down platforms only allowed to do what the platform owner approves, only allowed to get software they approve of.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Not surprising as Apple is even more dominant in Japan with around 68% of the mobile OS market and 75% of the tablet OS market according to Statcounter.

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
It's been two years and there's still bozos saying this? Telling people to go to the other duopoly whenever someone criticizes the fruit computer company doesn't work. That solves nothing, especially when Android OEMs continue to mimic Apple's business models that people hate, like removing the headphone jack and no longer including a damn charger with their $1000+ phone.
Yeah, the same bozos who might not like what Ford are offering, so go and buy a different brand - if you don't like something, go elsewhere - that's the power of being able to choose - having a government tell a company what they can or cannot do kinda defeats the world of competition, and restricts a unique selling point that each company may have.

Reactions: I7guy

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
I’m fine with being treated like a (gasp) adult.
If I opt to sideload or use a third-party payment then I’ll accept the responsibility.
If I download something stupid or problematic I don’t expect Apple, or any other company, to honour the warranty.
The pearl-clutching from some posters is enough to make you wonder how they even manage to put their pants on without on one of Tim Apple’s pop-ups confirming their intent.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not surprising as Apple is even more dominant in Japan with around 68% of the mobile OS market and 75% of the tablet OS market according to Statcounter.
Not surprisingly apple as popular as it is in some regions, holds a minority of market share across the globe.

Last edited:

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
These will never happen in Japan. A small group is proposing this. BS There No indications in the past years that this was the issue. BULLshi!

Reactions: com.B

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
Imagine the power of a new phone unleashed. Not dissimilar to putting homebrew on a video game console.

Magic will happen.
Sounds great, for pirating and emulators… 🤷🏼‍♀️

Is the iPhone not magical enough? Seems pretty magical to me, compared to the “open” alternatives. The magic is in the simplicity, ya’ll

Android already exists for those that want this, why force it on those that choose Apple for what it is?

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
Logic doesn’t have nationality. “People” have different opinions, you cannot put “people” before companies. Ah, and companies are also people!

I never said nationality. I said regions.
And of course different reasons have different expectations. Europeans don't mind paying for universal healthcare, nor do they enjoy/understand American tipping culture. I suggest you travel and experience these differences.
And yes, companies means nothing if they do not follow "we the people". It is called legislation for the people.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Smokers (and tobacco, in general) already pay for more for insurance, or at least everywhere I've worked. At my current company it's is an additional $720/year. I also get a discount of around $40/month for staying active/fit; I submit my steps weekly, along with proof that I had a physical, did my yearly bloodwork, ran a 5/10k, etc.

The unmaintained truck already pays a lot more in fuel taxes than my 38mpg VW.
Probably spoke out of turn actually as the rules will be different in each country.
That unmaintained truck probably has a higher liability in more places than just fuel consumption.

But what I was getting at is there is no such thing as fair, unless we're actively all monitored in a granular fashion.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
As far as I'm aware, insurance cost is relative to your health condition - as you need a sign off from your doctor in order to get insurance.

Same as your car insurance cost is relative to the car you drive - faster car, more you pay.

What I don't agree with is if I have money to spend, that some bureaucrat is going to tell me what I can spend it on.

It's called freedom.
Not quite as simple as that.
Anything you do that comes from the public purse is more of a one size fits all.
Insurance companies don't apportion cost fairly either.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015

It's called freedom.

Life insurance is relative to health and age. Not so for medical insurance, which specifically has laws preventing such measures.

Reactions: JapanApple

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
I never said nationality. I said regions.
And of course different reasons have different expectations. Europeans don't mind paying for universal healthcare, nor do they enjoy/understand American tipping culture. I suggest you travel and experience these differences.
And yes, companies means nothing if they do not follow "we the people". It is called legislation for the people.
We're more than 700 million europeans, each one thinks different, whether it's about healthcare, tipping... Also, there are many countries with very different customs. But logic is universal, right is right everywhere. What is "legislation for the people"? If I (and many others) didn't like the change to USB-C, who is legislating for me? To me, the US is legislating for the people, letting everyone design and buy whatever they want, and the EU is legislating for politicians interests.

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
We're more than 700 million europeans, each one thinks different, whether it's about healthcare, tipping... Also, there are many countries with very different customs. But logic is universal, right is right everywhere. What is "legislation for the people"? If I (and many others) didn't like the change to USB-C, who is legislating for me? To me, the US is legislating for the people, letting everyone design and buy whatever they want, and the EU is legislating for politicians interests.

Exactly that - politicians NEVER do anything for the people, they only do things for themselves using the rhetoric that it's for the people.

Most of the time, things like this are a distraction from something else, or the start of something a lot more sinister to come.

Reactions: Timpetus

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Yeah, the same bozos who might not like what Ford are offering, so go and buy a different brand - if you don't like something, go elsewhere - that's the power of being able to choose - having a government tell a company what they can or cannot do kinda defeats the world of competition, and restricts a unique selling point that each company may have.

Except that Ford doesn't dominate their market nearly to the degree that Apple dominates the mobile OS and tablet OS markets. In Japan, Apple has around 68% of the mobile OS market and 75% of the tablet OS market according to Statcounter. Antitrust laws are designed to regulate companies with "dominant" positions in particular markets who are engaging in "anticompetitive" behavior.

Simply having alternatives doesn't negate antitrust laws. There were alternatives to Windows in the 1990s (Mac OS, OS/2, Linux, BeOS, etc.) yet that didn't prevent Microsoft from facing antitrust litigation. Coke is an alternative to Pepsi and vice versa (plus there are other colas and carbonated beverages) yet both have dealt with antitrust matters over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.