Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Hmmmm... if only there were another phone out there that already supported those features. 🤔

Simply having alternatives doesn't negate antitrust laws. There were alternatives to Windows in the 1990s (Mac OS, OS/2, Linux, BeOS, etc.) yet that didn't prevent Microsoft from facing antitrust litigation. Coke is an alternative to Pepsi and vice versa (plus there are other colas and carbonated beverages) yet both have dealt with antitrust matters over the years.

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
Then if you're able to dominate a market - you must be doing something right.

Who knows, the reason all these people flock to Apple in Japan could be the fact that they feel the devices are more secure, because they don't allow app side loading.

There is also the possibility that Google have paid the Japanese government to enforce app side-loading, in order to obtain a bigger market share themselves, knowing full well that it could lead to negative press about the security of the iXX devices, which could potentially be impacted as a result.

Anything is a possibility...

There are rumors that they "sponsored" the EU to enforce USB-C, and just after this happened we started to see adverts poking "fun" at the latest innovation being USB-C

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Timpetus

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Once again governments thinking that they can tell people and companies what to do, this will not end well, and will not benefit anybody in the long-run.

If you don't like Apple's business model, quite simply - go else where...

As soon as people realize that the government is there to represent the people, not control the people - the world will become a better place...to many in power have the desire for world dominance, at any cost.
Unlike the USA, not all governments suck, are corrupt or have conflicts of interests.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
No, not customers - they have to represent the people...Governments are not here to tell businesses what to do and what not to do, that would be the customers , and they vote with their money / feet.

It's in the interest of the customers, as this will enable a business to be able to fully provide a service to the end users - providing support for a product - who knows what will happen if anonymous apps are allowed to be deployed - this opens up so many security concerns, such as the ability to eavesdrop (something we see constantly on Android).

I suspect that this is the real reason behind why the EU and Japan are looking at this, as it would allow them the ability to load in an app that would allow them to track and monitor anybody using the device - we know how the EU are already trying to block end-to-end encryption, and also iCloud Relay - they hate not knowing what people are doing.
The uk wants to block end to end, not the EU.
If businesses are in control you’ll get lots of problems, like in the states, example, your mobile subs are way more expensive than in the EU, or trying to get rid of plastics bottles/cans recycled, they didn’t so here they got forced to.

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
The uk wants to block end to end, not the EU.
If businesses are in control you’ll get lots of problems, like in the states, example, your mobile subs are way more expensive than in the EU, or trying to get rid of plastics bottles/cans recycled, they didn’t so here they got forced to.
The EU are looking at banning it too - it's just that the EU member states cannot all agree on it, but the EU leaders are still trying to push it through.

The UK is WEF controlled, the PM is a WEF puppet and does what he's asked - the WEF have been wanting to ban end-to-end encryption for ages.

You can do better, you really think the U.S. Is still the best in the world, guess what, it is not.
Just because yours suck does not mean all suck.

I never said that it was, I just said that they are all as bad as each other - and definitely not under what has been shown to be a total corrupt administration.

I simply asked name me a government that isn't corrupt.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Are there many iPhone users asking for sideloading? To most users, I'd guess this is a non-issue. I can sort of understand why larger application studios might want the option, but the average developer doesn't have the infrastructure to easily host and distribute apps.

From a support standpoint, I think Apple's policy would have to be to wipe your phone completely before any warranty service would be performed. I'd also prefer they sandboxed those apps so they couldn't interact with data from other apps - and prevent them from interfacing with iCloud altogether to keep things secure. I'd also want a way to disable sideloading so I don't have to constantly figure out how my parents got malware installed on their phones and iPads (which is why I've talked them out of a computer for years).

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
All of this talk of voiding warranty in the thread makes me wonder how many people actually believe you can damage the hardware by installing a sandboxed third party app

I’ve jailbroken my iPhones in the past and even had to SIM unlock my first iPhone because I don’t live in the US
That involved actually patching the baseband software (or the modem’s firmware if you prefer that term)

If THAT can’t fully brick an iPhone (and believe me, it doesn’t - I fumbled my first sim unlock and had to re-flash the baseband to get the phone part working again) what makes you think installing an NES emulator is gonna make an iPhone blow up? Worst case scenario you’re gonna have to do a restore, and even then I can’t imagine a single reason why a sandboxed up would be able to mess up with the rest of the filesystem

Seriously, the way some of you guys think it’s like we’re in 95 and boot sector viruses are still a thing
You don’t have to like side loading but please stop using trash arguments to defend the trillion dollar company taking a 30% cut of a Userdefault being changed inside an app to unlock features that are not even hosted on Apple’s CDN.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
No problem with side loading but it should void any reliance of Apple to fix it when something goes wrong. And it will.

Only if the side loaded item causes the problem and Apple has to be able to prove it was the side loaded item. That would match the requirements Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which prevents company from making up bs reasons for banning a warranty.

Havoc035

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2021
As a lifetime Android user, I'm somewhat baffled by these mandates.
I've always voted with my wallet, but never thought that Apple had to be forced to add missing features to iOS.

What a refreshing take from an Android user. Often their views come down to: “eVeRyThInG nEedS TO bE OpEn. oPeN is GuD.”

• Disagree
Reactions: ozaz and grovian

scorpio vega

Suspended
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Funny, because the USB-C mandate has had great success and has made so many people buy iPhone 15s now that Lightning is finally gone
You do realize USB C is not the reason the iPhone 15 is selling right?
Like it's laughable that you think because USB c is a thing now for iPhones and a FEW ANDROID users have brought it, it suddenly has made out to be monster sales for iPhones.

Yes, SOME ANDROID users have switched because of USB C to iPhone (as ridiculous as that is to me). But that's probably literally 1 percent of Android user. Android users like lagdroid because lagdroid is what it is and IOS Is nto that.

IPhones will sell and have continued to sell simply because they are iPhones.

Reactions: I7guy

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
If you don't like Apple's business model, quite simply - go else where...
There aren‘t many viable „elsewheres“. A developer of mobile can‘t just „go elsewhere“ than Android/Play Store and iOS/App Store if they don’t like the terms

I suspect that this is the real reason behind why the EU and Japan are looking at this, as it would allow them the ability to load in an app that would allow them to track and monitor anybody using the device - we know how the EU are already trying to block end-to-end encryption, and also iCloud Relay - they hate not knowing what people are doing.
That makes no sense at all.

There’s no easier way to discourage or abolish encrypted communication if you all you have to do is regulate a monopoly or duopoly of mobile application stores: just force apps to register or obtain a licence from the government. If you don’t ban them, e.g. VPN apps outright:

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/29/apple-china-discuss-rules-banning-western-apps/
whereas sideloading enables users to install unregulated app with E2E encryption.

Whereas sideloading enables users to install and use apps that are unregulated by governments.

There’s only so much you can require backdoors on the operating system level without making the device too untrusted or vulnerable for government and business use (think about the tax revenue). So if I wanted to ban end-to-end encryption, the first thing I‘d do is outlaw sideloading. Make every app go through two or three gatekeeping device vendors or operating system developers - and then force their hands (by threatening a ban on device sales) to pull any non-complying messenger app from their stores.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jensend

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Are there many iPhone users asking for sideloading? To most users, I'd guess this is a non-issue. I can sort of understand why larger application studios might want the option, but the average developer doesn't have the infrastructure to easily host and distribute apps.

From a support standpoint, I think Apple's policy would have to be to wipe your phone completely before any warranty service would be performed. I'd also prefer they sandboxed those apps so they couldn't interact with data from other apps - and prevent them from interfacing with iCloud altogether to keep things secure. I'd also want a way to disable sideloading so I don't have to constantly figure out how my parents got malware installed on their phones and iPads (which is why I've talked them out of a computer for years).

A big reason a small developer might want to side load is it makes testing software a hell of a lot easier, or I could make something for family and friends and not have to get it approved by Apple.

A company could make a custom app for their employees to use or custom internal app. Apple enterprise certs are a massive pain in the ass to deal with and when they expire the app stops working. If you invalidate or update your cert all existing installs stop working and require a new install. Plus you have the cost of them as well.

coolfactor

Suspended
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No word if Apple is still entitled to collect a cut of revenue made from apps purchased outside of the App Store (similar to what is happening with the Dutch dating apps).

I'm starting to side with the push for this. Looking at the Mac, it would be crazy for Apple to be entitled to a financial cut if I downloaded and installed a third-party app directly from the developer's website, so why should iOS devices be any different?

In that light, it is a tax.

I understand Apple getting a cut when they handle distribution and promotion, but not if they are not involved at all.

However, developers should be required to pay a fee for "access" to Apple's platforms. Can't be a free-for-all. That's how abuse is fostered.

Reactions: grovian

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
So the EU and Japan will also force their manufacturing companies to share their tech to enable anyone to do whatever they want to their products and maintain warranty over it?
the only bricked iphones i know, was caused by OFFICIAL APPLE OTA updates... never seen any other software causing bricking or autocombustion... not even on JB iphones...so what warranty has to do with sideloaded apps?

Last edited:

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Oh dear, Japan.
Meanwhile, you are banning people from modding games using save editors.
and what it has to do with sideloading? are there any online competitions on phones? will i call for free if i have sideloaded apps?

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Governments have to act in the interest of the customers. How can it be in the interest of the customers that Apple decides which apps they can install and gets a 30% share of every purchase? In the US consumer rights are pretty much non-existent, but that might change.
I’m a consumer, and I don’t feel harmed in any way. Apple isn’t forcing their ecosystem on me — I chose them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.