Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjcs

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2021
Here is how I see it . Steve Jobs wanted function and form to be at equilibrium so he always controlled ive from going overboard . after jobs died Ive’s idea of form over function took over and macs got thinner and thinner and performance of these devices suffered. Mind you the Ive probably hatred the iPhone camera bump but Apple had no choice , stay behind the competition in cameras or just be a beautiful device

now that federighi has more control the ports are back .
In the end, a computer is a tool, not a fashion statement. I think Jobs understood that. A pure designer doesn't.

Reactions: bobcomer

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The new MacBook Pro is thicker, heavier, with a Magsafe, an SD card reader and the biggest one: the HDMI 2.0 (not 2.1). The Touch Bar dream is gone, Giving way for the older function key row.
They also love protrusions, Triple on the iPhone camera and now the feet of the MacBook Pros look way more protruding than the previous version.
And let’s not talk about the unnecessarily wide notch without the face ID.

“ We believe in a wireless future“ said Jony five years ago.
Well the future looks like the past, with more ports and no touchbar. The new Macbook Pro is an updated 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina display rather than an evolution of the 2016 model.
The sleek and elegant chassis is lost.
The epitome of that vision was the 2015 12” inch MacBook, super thin with only one usb-c port. One could argue that it was a visionary device ahead of its time but that the path was indicated. Six years later and today apple killed that vision. Jony Ive is gone and his vision too.
Despite boasting less power hungry processors compared to Intel the device isn’t thinner than the 2016 MacBook Pro.
So long for minimalism. I really hope that this is only for the pro MacBooks and that we will see a super thin 12 inch device with only two USB-Cs.
We’ll see. My 12” MacBook was my favorite Mac ever. It was a platform just begging for Apple Silicon. Hopefully Apple keeps the “consumer” devices minimalist.

The camera bumps on phones are simple physics. Even casual users want better cameras, so there isn’t much choice. But even the basic M1 is overkill for most consumers. So Apple can keep sleek designs for the MacBook Air if they so choose.

Are you a proponent of being touch to the mbp?
Not really. I have used an iPad Pro before mouse support at my “daily driver” just to see if I could move to an iPad instead of a laptop. I agree about bad ergonomics of holding your arm in front of you. Plus it always felt considerably slower than a mouse because I was constantly moving my hand up tot the screen and putting it back down so my arm didn’t get tired waiting for my next “click” action.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
In the end, a computer is a tool, not a fashion statement. I think Jobs understood that. A pure designer doesn't.
That original MacBook Air in January 2008 was all form over function. It frequently had to shut down one of its 2 cores to prevent overheating. The 2 ports it had were in a drop down compartment. And the SSD was a $1000 add-on. Apple released a much improved version in November of that year. I still paid $2499 in 2008 dollars for the SSD version. I’m sure he would have loved the 2015 MacBook’s design as it seems like the MacBook Air he would have liked to have removed from that Manila envelope.

Steve Jobs did do a better job of differentiating between consumer and pro devices, though. He tolerated the Pro users a bit more than Jony Ive.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
well Thunderbolt 4 uses Displayport 2.0 and it supports 3x10K (10240 × 4320) displays @ 60 Hz and 10 bpc (30 bit/px, HDR) RGB/Y′CBCR 4:4:4 color (with DSC) on one cable

so with the new TB4 ports you could ether connect Two Pro res XDR monitors with no DSC per port. or 4 PRO RES XDR per port with DSC with usb 2.0 Hub speeds(what apple have now in the display you referenced)

or Two Pro res XDR per port iwth DSC but with full TB 3 speeds for the USB C ports.

Actualy this is a DP 1.4/TB3 limitation that you need one display per port.
with Displayport 2/ Thunderbolt 4 you would need only two ports
Port 1= 2x6k external monitors(with DSC) with full 6x USB 3.1 speed ports
Port 2= 1x6k external monitors(uncompressed) with full 3x USB 3.1 speed ports

and you would still have one left in the computer. Or you would just use a Thunderbolt 4 hub that uses two ports to connect everything untill apple uppdates their displays with the new port.
According to this handy bandwidth calculator (murideo.com), 10k@60 Hz/10 bits/4:4:4 requires 26.73 Gbps with DSC. Yes, DP 2.0 is 80 Gbps. But does the M1's TB4 support this? I'd be surprised. And if it doesn't, i.e., if it's limited to TB4's standard 40 Gbps, you would only be able to drive one 10k, not three.

And even with 80 Gbps you could only connect one XDR without compression (6k@60 Hz/10 bits/4:4:4 = 46.1 Gbps).

But yes, if you compressed the Pro Display XDR with DSC, that would be 12.3 Gbps/display @60 Hz/10 bits/4:4:4, so you could drive three with a single 40 Gbps TB4 cable.

Though Apple's spec's say the M1 Pro and M1 Max are limited to 2 x 6k and 3 x 6k respectively, which may be a GPU limitation.

1634703864935.png

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
The new MacBook Pro is thicker, heavier, with a Magsafe, an SD card reader and the biggest one: the HDMI 2.0 (not 2.1). The Touch Bar dream is gone, Giving way for the older function key row.
They also love protrusions, Triple on the iPhone camera and now the feet of the MacBook Pros look way more protruding than the previous version.
And let’s not talk about the unnecessarily wide notch without the face ID.

“ We believe in a wireless future“ said Jony five years ago.
Well the future looks like the past, with more ports and no touchbar. The new Macbook Pro is an updated 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina display rather than an evolution of the 2016 model.
The sleek and elegant chassis is lost.
The epitome of that vision was the 2015 12” inch MacBook, super thin with only one usb-c port. One could argue that it was a visionary device ahead of its time but that the path was indicated. Six years later and today apple killed that vision. Jony Ive is gone and his vision too.
Despite boasting less power hungry processors compared to Intel the device isn’t thinner than the 2016 MacBook Pro.
So long for minimalism. I really hope that this is only for the pro MacBooks and that we will see a super thin 12 inch device with only two USB-Cs.

I’ve had 12” macbook, 13” and currently 16” MBP’s and realize that the new pro vision is not for me, I am definitely more toward the prosumer than the pro and prefer portability to heft. It does seem puzzling that a lower tdp platform ends up being put into a larger body, but perhaps this is part of their vision in further segmenting the platforms.

Here is hoping there is a true macbook successor next year, with no fan and impossibly thin and light design.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
According to this handy bandwidth calculator (murideo.com), 10k@60 Hz/10 bits/4:4:4 requires 26.73 Gbps with DSC. Yes, DP 2.0 is 80 Gbps. But does the M1's TB4 support this? I'd be surprised. And if it doesn't, i.e., if it's limited to TB4's standard 40 Gbps, you would only be able to drive one 10k, not three.

And even with 80 Gbps you could only connect one XDR without compression (6k@60 Hz/10 bits/4:4:4 = 46.1 Gbps).

But yes, if you compressed the Pro Display XDR with DSC, that would be 12.3 Gbps/display @60 Hz/10 bits/4:4:4, so you could drive three with a single 40 Gbps TB4 cable.

Though Apple's spec's say the M1 Pro and M1 Max are limited to 2 x 6k and 3 x 6k respectively, which may be a GPU limitation.

View attachment 1872042
Thunderbolt is 40Gbps per direction when its bidirectional and 80Gbps when its unidirectional (DisplayPort Alt Mode)

Reactions: theorist9

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
The 2016 MacBook Pro was a daring machine. Betting everything on four USB-C, massive trackpad, and the Touch Bar. This one reverts back to many ports and standard function keys!
You forgot about the keyboard. They dared something alright. The company known for making one of the best keyboards is also known for making one of the worse keyboards.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
well now you can use that one port for Ethernet as you can use MagSafe for charging. you can have six devices per port. unless you monitor is't a Tb display you can just use the HDMI for the extra screen. Mgsafe for charging, and a15$ USB-c ethernet hub with extra usb 3 ports. Now you still have two TB 4 ports free to plug in two usb-c disks and a standard usb 3.0 port. then again i dont know what ports your monitor have.

I was expecting that you’d suggest something like this :)

Sure, I can do that but it means that I have to carry my charger around (or have a spare one in the office) instead of using my monitors charging capabilities, fiddle with three cables at work instead of two abs then also have a bit of a mess since the HDMI port is located at the wrong side, so I’d have to awkwardly wrap the cable around the desk… it’s simply suboptimal.

Or I could buy a TB dock, but those are not cheap and I can’t really argue that my employee should spend $200 extra because “apple changed the port layout and now my connectivity became slightly more awkward”.

In the end, you win some you lose some. But yeah, the loss of the fourth universal port is somewhat painful.

Reactions: CrysisDeu

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Na, the thermals were fine, better than average at least. The problem was the Intel CPU that would go full load any time you press a key...
That is a contradiction. Thermal cannot be fine if the chips cannot run full blast without fans going crazy.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
That is a contradiction. Thermal cannot be fine if the chips cannot run full blast without fans going crazy.

It’s kind of difficult to have a silent laptop if the CPU behaves like a desktop one. The MBP had no problems keeping the i9 clocks over the base level, which is the very definition of “thermals being fine”. The turbo was simply clocked too aggressively. Intel should have left mobile Coffe Lake at 4.4ghz, but then they couldn’t have claimed performance improvements.

In the end, it has nothing to do with Apple. All (but the very thick and heavy) Coffe Lake i9 laptops run hot and loud. In fact, the 15” and later 16” did better than most of the laptops in the market with the same hardware (benchmarks are available, you are welcome to verify yourself). The problem is not laptop cooling system, it’s the use of hardware that had no business being used in a laptop.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Oh, I don't blame Ive at for the QC issue with the butterfly KB's. [Indeed, I explicity said I was ignoring that.] I don't think anticipating that was his role (unless the engineers warned him that this would be a problem, and he ignored them; but there's no way for me to know if that happened). Instead, I blame him for the design/usability failure—not seeing the human factor problem with those KB's, which was that their low travel and hard stop could cause soreness with extended typing, and made them noisy.

Portability is of course important in a laptop but, in a performance-type laptop like the MBP, some portability has to be sacrificed for peformance. The new 16" is only .6 mm thicker, 2 mm wider and deeper, and 100 -200 g heavier (depending on whether you get the Pro or Max) than the Intel 16", so that's not a big difference. If portability is your ultimate goal, there's the MBA. And I disagree that noise is relevant only to desktops. Many who buy MBP's use them as their only machine, which means they have to meet both mobility and desktop replacement roles.
So we have agreed that a laptop is compromise? I fully agree that noise is important and if the new MBP (at least the Pro model) under full load will have the sound level of an MP2013, I believe it is one of the main selling points and then the thickness is appropriate (I would have preferred a more iPhone 4 like edges or a more tapered design).

My general concern now that Ive (and Steve) are both gone is that no-one seem to be pushing towards the "impossible". I think one strong reason we got the M chips in the first place was the drive for thinner and lighter. The only person at the event that showed some kind of ambition of being on the cutting edge was Johny and his M chip. The chip is not sufficient. The whole package needs to be. The new MBP is unremarkable except for the performance. Solid, well built but really no surprises.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
It’s kind of difficult to have a silent laptop if the CPU behaves like a desktop one. The MBP had no problems keeping the i9 clocks over the base level, which is the very definition of “thermals being fine”. The turbo was simply clocked too aggressively. Intel should have left mobile Coffe Lake at 4.4ghz, but then they couldn’t have claimed performance improvements.

In the end, it has nothing to do with Apple. All (but the very thick and heavy) Coffe Lake i9 laptops run hot and loud. In fact, the 15” and later 16” did better than most of the laptops in the market with the same hardware (benchmarks are available, you are welcome to verify yourself). The problem is not laptop cooling system, it’s the use of hardware that had no business being used in a laptop.
Just applying the same kind of criticism applied to to the MP2013 (and iMacs), which are thermals, to the MBP. As Johny said last year, it is all about thermals and power efficiencies.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
I think one strong reason we got the M chips in the first place was the drive for thinner and lighter.
That's why we have a fanless MacBook Air. They can even bring back the 12-inch MacBook design and M1 can run inside it just like it is running in iPads now. Different chips (and computers) have different design goals, and M1 Pro/Max is certainly not designed for extremely light and thin notebooks.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Just applying the same kind of criticism applied to to the MP2013 (and iMacs), which are thermals, to the MBP. As Johny said last year, it is all about thermals and power efficiencies.
We can split it apart.

The resulting product is having a thermal problem because the thermal design does not work well with the chip.

We can either blame:

- The chip which is too hot.
- The cooling is just insufficient.

To solve the problem we can either replace the chip with a cooler one, or add a gigantic cooling system. The former is harder, and the latter is simpler. Apple took the harder approach.

Reactions: iPadified

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

MP had perfectly fine cooling for its own hardware. It’s whisper quiet while encoding videos full steam (we have one so I know it well). The problem was accommodating hardware that came years later since it increased power consumption significantly. Don’t have any experience with the iMac so can’t comment on it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
We can split it apart.

The resulting product is having a thermal problem because the thermal design does not work well with the chip.

We can either blame:

- The chip which is too hot.
- The cooling is just insufficient.

To solve the problem we can either replace the chip with a cooler one, or add a gigantic cooling system. The former is harder, and the latter is simpler. Apple took the harder approach.

In the case of Intels very power hungry chips there are basically the following options:

a) skip the i9 (and lose to the competition in performance)
b) underclothes the i9 (and lose to the competition in performance)
c) have a laptop that runs loud
d) engineer a desktop level cooling solution in your laptop and completely destroy its concept in process

There is just no good option here. Apple chose c) followed by e) make your own faster CPU that runs cooler ;)

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Unfortunately it's not quite as thin & light as the now unavailable 12" MacBook. My wife has one & loves it. It's a shame that Apple no longer sell these or an Apple Silicon version.
Yeah, I have a friend who really likes his 12" MacBook. At 2.0 lbs., it was notably lighter than the 2.8 lb. 13" Air. Seems a 12" MB would be an ideal candidate for an M2 chip. No idea if Apple will offer it.

• Love
Reactions: Xand&Roby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.