Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

childu

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
20906D80-1103-4A6B-84BD-F4401B7BB637.jpeg
That’s nasty?

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
He is comparing to an older 15” 2016 model. The difference in height in only half a millimeter to the latest Intel 16”.

Visually the Intel version will appear thinner because the edges are tapered. The HDMI connector and I believe also the 1080 camera forced more square edges to be able to fit them.

Last edited:

childu

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
He is comparing to an older 15” 2016 model. The differe in height in only half a millimeter to the latest Intel 16”.

Visually the Intel version will appear thinner because the edges are tapered. The HDMI connector and I believe also the 1080 camera forced more square edges to be able to fit them.
The older the better…

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
It’s a shame you lose a more useful high speed port to a low speed hdmi port and a card reader. it’s like having a crappy HDMI and card reader dongle permanently plugged in.
If you’re going to add back in these ports, give us the latest/high-speed!!!

Reactions: childu

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
CLUNKY

Attachments

• 9CE100D2-2A70-4A26-9849-96010C006260.jpeg
    9CE100D2-2A70-4A26-9849-96010C006260.jpeg
    686.1 KB · Views: 79
  • CADBAE38-A56B-4789-B326-0B4636EF85C9.jpeg
    CADBAE38-A56B-4789-B326-0B4636EF85C9.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: imdog

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
The 16” M1 is very similar in size to the Intel 16”. What you see is the effect of removing the tapered shape to fit in larger ports. It is more of an optical illusion than an objective increase in size.

CarbonCycles

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
I sense we are seeing Cooks old IBM days creep in. Blocky dull products that are meant to do one thing…just work. They have other products that fill in that niche of sleek and sexy.

Looks like Cook told Iveys team to stop meddling w this product line and go draw pretty pictures for the MBA and MB lines.

In many ways the product lines were starting to overlap and cannibalize one another.

One could argue that Steve may be mildly amused on what’s become of his company where he was always critical about every single design aspect. Maybe they will find a nice balance. In the meantime, I’m glad we have MacBooks that are actually usable again.

Reactions: Queru

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I am a Pro in the sense that what I make using my laptop I am paid for. I don't make Hollywood movies or anything like that. However, I disagree that a big selling point for Pros is the ability to not have dongles. With all of the other gear I am carrying around I couldn't give two @!#$ about dongles. In fact I will take the flexibility of TB ports over designated ports any day as it allows me to configure my setup as the client needs present themselves.
This is your setup and and how you work. Fair call but it is a sample size of one.
Other professionals do feel differently.

This is your setup and and how you work. Fair call but it is a sample size of one.
Other professionals do feel differently.

LOLOL of course! An opinion is just that, a sample size of one. I do have business circles that I participate in. I can fairly easily speak at least for them as well, and likely for creative professionals that have any other gear to take with them. When you carry gear for your profession you really don't think about dongles as a "problem" :p My 30-60lbs of gear takes my mind not a couple cables LOL

Also while I don't always carry all my gear, my bag is the same. I don't want to spend time constantly swapping back and forth between bags just because today I don't have to carry as much. Maybe some people do swap bags every couple days.

I just think that when you are trying to manage your client, employees, day to day or running a business, keeping track of gear and timetables, etc... it just seems such a silly thing to worry about. <shurg> but a small sample size for sure

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68030
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
LOLOL of course! An opinion is just that, a sample size of one. I do have business circles that I participate in. I can fairly easily speak at least for them as well, and likely for creative professionals that have any other gear to take with them. When you carry gear for your profession you really don't think about dongles as a "problem" :p My 30-60lbs of gear takes my mind not a couple cables LOL

Also while I don't always carry all my gear, my bag is the same. I don't want to spend time constantly swapping back and forth between bags just because today I don't have to carry as much. Maybe some people do swap bags every couple days.

I just think that when you are trying to manage your client, employees, day to day or running a business, keeping track of gear and timetables, etc... it just seems such a silly thing to worry about. <shurg> but a small sample size for sure
Seems more silly to just add more clutter when not needed. You only need one port to use one dock for your needs. Let’s kill the dongle market instead for still popular technology

Seems more silly to just add more clutter when not needed. You only need one port to use one dock for your needs. Let’s kill the dongle market instead for still popular technology

Someone would only need one port if they don't have high throughput needs. That is not me despite the assumption in your post.

I need one TB port just for my attache disk array, another TB port for ethernet. I also run four monitors (main, alt, grading, preview) which get split across the other two TB ports which also share ALL my other connected devices such as SD Express reader, audio interface, color calibrator, mouse, keyboard, etc..

The more TB the better for me! I live in a sea of cables, adapters, etc... because I have too many tools I use in my daily work to worry about some "clean" aesthetic or if something takes an extra adapter. The fact that I can adapt my laptop's thunderbolt ports to suite my particular days workflow (desk, meeting, on-site, lab, rig, etc...) is perfect!

Reactions: CrysisDeu

BigPotatoLobbyist

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2020
They look great I just wish they’d stop ****ing turning their iPads, iPhones and got forbid watches into rectangular bricks with sharp edges. It sucks and is pushing me away from the products. Glad these things have curves like the PowerBooks

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I can fairly easily speak at least for them as well, and likely for creative professionals that have any other gear to take with them.
Thank you for explaining how you run your gear setup. It was very informative.

Can you also let the other professionals speak for themselves and not just assume their setup and needs are exactly the same as yours.

Not every professional had a mountain of gear they need to take with them. Depends on the work they are doing, where the work is being done, the industry they are in, etc etc.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
If you’re going to add back in these ports, give us the latest/high-speed!!!
I kind of agree about the HDMI 2.0 vs 2.1. The SD card slot makes sense since SD Express (which isn’t used by anything yet) is incompatible with UHS-II which has seen wide adoption, and is used all over the place. So in the SD case Apple went with what’s most useful.
(UHS-II cards do work in SD Express slots, but only at UHS-I speeds. In the future this may become largely irrelevant, but it’s annoying now. And nobody knows if SD Express will ever catch on. CF Express type A may take that role. Remains to be seen, micro SD Express has a huge size advantage if needed.)

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining how you run your gear setup. It was very informative.

Can you also let the other professionals speak for themselves and not just assume their setup and needs are exactly the same as yours.

Not every professional had a mountain of gear they need to take with them. Depends on the work they are doing, where the work is being done, the industry they are in, etc etc.

Why are you being so aggressive by asking me to let others speak for themselves? I am not stopping anyone from speaking, nor am I even asking anyone not to speak.

I AM stating that I can voice opinions for the people and circles that I run in. I am not a social scientist who is going experiments with mass populations and then coming to this forum. I am a normal person, just like you, who is voicing their experiences. Just because not every single person experiences what I am describing does not mean others do not. In my experience, most people fall into the categories I am describing. Of course that is just a limited sampling. If you think that I don't know that there are other people out there with different needs, consider your job of informing me complete (although unnecessary).

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Why are you being so aggressive by asking me to let others speak for themselves? I am not stopping anyone from speaking, nor am I even asking anyone not to speak.

I AM stating that I can voice opinions for the people and circles that I run in. I am not a social scientist who is going experiments with mass populations and then coming to this forum. I am a normal person, just like you, who is voicing their experiences. Just because not every single person experiences what I am describing does not mean others do not. In my experience, most people fall into the categories I am describing. Of course that is just a limited sampling. If you think that I don't know that there are other people out there with different needs, consider your job of informing me complete (although unnecessary).
I was not being aggressive at all. I even thanked you for sharing your setup with us. It was an interesting read.

All I noted was the fact we should not speak for others and not assume that everyone’s setup and needs are the same as our own.

I was not being aggressive at all. I even thanked you for sharing your setup with us. It was an interesting read.

All I noted was the fact we should not speak for others and not assume that everyone’s setup and needs are the same as our own.

Right, but you didn't say that YOU don't want to speak for others. You speak as if your preference to not speak for others is just how the world should work. In your last post you said it was "fact" that we "should not" speak for others....that doesn't leave much room for the way I think. I mean you are speaking fact, not just your opinion. This is what I mean when I say aggressive.

If you don't want to speak for others, cool. I would suggest being true to yourself and not do that. I am comfortable with my statements as they stand. I used words like "likely" and "fairly easily". I will continue to "speak for others" and convey my experiences and the observations I make. I am comfortable conveying and linking my experiences and observations to patterns and even expound on how it might be even broader than what I can easily or tangibly know. I also am comfortable enough with how I view the world not to worry I am being too myopic or dismissive of other ways that things might be done. My friends, the people who I am speaking for BTW, will make sure to give me feedback if I "go off the rails" and start thinking the world does or should operate the way I do.

Last edited:

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
The older the better…
Personally I’m a great fan of the ibook.
52642EA7-05DD-4F16-941C-DB72E3719A48.jpeg

and the G4 imac, with a nod to the G4 cube.

For me, these were ”peak Jony Ive” at Apple. The thin slab-of-glass (and metal) era never did much for me.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68030
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Someone would only need one port if they don't have high throughput needs. That is not me despite the assumption in your post.
How Much output do you need? TB4 supports 80Gbps with two directional 40Gbs lanes. Ether 80Gbps DP2.0 support or 40GB DP 2.0 split and 40Gbps split
I need one TB port just for my attache disk array, another TB port for ethernet. I also run four monitors (main, alt, grading, preview) which get split across the other two TB ports which also share ALL my other connected devices such as SD Express reader, audio interface, color calibrator, mouse, keyboard,
Unless your disk array uses **** tone of data you would still have plenty of bandwidth over.

One port can easily be used with 3 external 6k apple XDR monitors(when updated with TB4 ports to allow daisy chaining) plus your wired mouse/ keyboard, SD UHD III reader, audio interface and color calibrator with bandwidth to spare. And your Ethernet dongle as well so at worst you need two ports, at best one port depending on your disk array.
etc..

The more TB the better for me! I live in a sea of cables, adapters, etc... because I have too many tools I use in my daily work to worry about some "clean" aesthetic or if something takes an extra adapter. The fact that I can adapt my laptop's thunderbolt ports to suite my particular days workflow (desk, meeting, on-site, lab, rig, etc...) is perfect!
Your forgot that these are TB4/USB4 ports, not TB3. You need at most one dock and can use the rear port on your monitors for expansion

Edit: you need a desktop, and should allow the rest of us to have usable laptops with as little clutter as possible. And apple have obviously seen what people actually need.

Last edited:
How Much output do you need? TB4 supports 80Gbps with two directional 40Gbs lanes. Ether 80Gbps DP2.0 support or 40GB DP 2.0 split and 40Gbps split

Unless your disk array uses **** tone of data you would still have plenty of bandwidth over.

One port can easily be used with 3 external 6k apple XDR monitors(when updated with TB4 ports to allow daisy chaining) plus your wired mouse/ keyboard, SD UHD III reader, audio interface and color calibrator with bandwidth to spare. And your Ethernet dongle as well so at worst you need two ports, at best one port depending on your disk array.

Your forgot that these are TB4/USB4 ports, not TB3. You need at most one dock and can use the rear port on your monitors for expansion

Edit: you need a desktop, and should allow the rest of us to have usable laptops with as little clutter as possible. And apple have obviously seen what people actually need.

LOL, first off, I don't disagree I need a desktop! :p However, I much prefer having one device I can use in different setups vs different devices. It never works as smooth as you would like in trying to have your "same" profile on each device (desktop / laptop / tablet)

My disk array is already a daisy chain of one RAID 0 disk array for primary storage (hot) followed by several other RAID 5 arrays for my warm storage.

I need the TB port for ethernet because I have to cycle files and storage on a fairly regular basis, I also have a NAS storage for cold storage which is connected at 40GbE. I hope to be able to de-commission my additional RAID 5 arrays and put my warm storage on a different NAS in the not too distant future.

So while I might be able to cram the rest of it on the last TB port, and I will have to with the new MBPro, I currently have it spread out across two ports mostly because of my SD Express reader.

Anyway, you are probably right that most people don't need ALL of the throughput and likely could just split/daisy chain devices to make it work with less ports. However, doesn't that entail more cables/adapters/devices/dongles or spending a LOT more money on devices that have pass-through TB? In the grand scheme of things I think it would create more cost/items having to use hubs and splitters or buying expensive devices VS just having more TB ports? Hmmmmm, not sure, but maybe!

EDIT: I also forgot to add that TB4 does not support 80Gbps, it supports the same 40Gbps that TB3 supports, maybe you are thinking of TB5? The main different of TB3 vs TB4 is that TB4 has a very direct set of requirements that everyone has to adhere to in order to support it. It makes it easier on everyone knowing what you can and can't do with TB4 vs the sort of Wild Wild West of TB3 support.

Last edited:
Reactions: alien3dx

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68030
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
LOL, first off, I don't disagree I need a desktop! :p However, I much prefer having one device I can use in different setups vs different devices. It never works as smooth as you would like in trying to have your "same" profile on each device (desktop / laptop / tablet)

My disk array is already a daisy chain of one RAID 0 disk array for primary storage (hot) followed by several other RAID 5 arrays for my warm storage.

I need the TB port for ethernet because I have to cycle files and storage on a fairly regular basis, I also have a NAS storage for cold storage which is connected at 40GbE. I hope to be able to de-commission my additional RAID 5 arrays and put my warm storage on a different NAS in the not too distant future.

So while I might be able to cram the rest of it on the last TB port, and I will have to with the new MBPro, I currently have it spread out across two ports mostly because of my SD Express reader.

Anyway, you are probably right that most people don't need ALL of the throughput and likely could just split/daisy chain devices to make it work with less ports. However, doesn't that entail more cables/adapters/devices/dongles or spending a LOT more money on devices that have pass-through TB? In the grand scheme of things I think it would create more cost/items having to use hubs and splitters or buying expensive devices VS just having more TB ports? Hmmmmm, not sure, but maybe!

EDIT: I also forgot to add that TB4 does not support 80Gbps, it supports the same 40Gbps that TB3 supports, maybe you are thinking of TB5? The main different of TB3 vs TB4 is that TB4 has a very direct set of requirements that everyone has to adhere to in order to support it. It makes it easier on everyone knowing what you can and can't do with TB4 vs the sort of Wild Wild West of TB3 support.
No, i mena TB4. It have DisplayPort 2.0 support ether one lane 40Gbps and 3x 6k screens with DSC and 40Gbps for data.
Edit: or 80Gbps of display port only for ether more screens or without DSC

Thunderbolt 3 provides two bi-directional 20 Gbps channels, providing a total of 40 Gbps outbound and 40 Gbps inbound.
It’s 4 lanes of PCI Express 3.0 (32.4 Gbit/s) for general-purpose data transfer, and 8 lanes of DisplayPort HBR2 (34.56 Gbit/s) for video, but the maximum combined data rate cannot exceed 40 Gbit/s

But Thunderbolt 4 provides two bi-directional 40 Gbps channels, providing a total of 40 Gbps outbound and 40 Gbps inbound.
This allows you to use a combined data+display output of 80Gbps.
This wasn’t possible before. This is why apple XDR pro can only receive 40Gbps in screen and output USB2 speeds back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arsenikdote
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.