Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I had the Late 2016 MacBook, and I loved the keyboard: I really enjoy the 2018–It's more silent.
[doublepost=1531712934][/doublepost]

Apple Stores actually do have custom configs in store–It's just that it doesn't show up online available for a pickup. I went to the Apple Store Walden Galleria and they had a bunch :)
[doublepost=1531712980][/doublepost]

Coming from the base CPU Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar, it does get hot faster, but the fans manage.
[doublepost=1531713102][/doublepost]

It gets way hotter than my old Late 2016 MacBook Pro under load obviously, and loud. But not burning hot :)
[doublepost=1531713359][/doublepost]

I had a Late 2016 MacBook, so it's not a change for me.
I basically simply replaced all my USB-A to x by USB-C to x cables to avoid always having to use dongles, but still have a small Aukey USB-C to USB-A adapters for the rare times I have to plug something on my laptop (it is very rare).
I also have a Hyperdrive that includes a SD Card reader, HDMI port and a couple of USB-A ports :)
[doublepost=1531713417][/doublepost]

I have upgraded from the Late 2016 MacBook, so besides the additional power, silent keyboard and T2 chip, there's not much difference for me :)

If I want a quiet and not so hot machine, does that mean I have to go i5 2.5 GHz and also forget about 15" models?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
If I want a quiet and not so hot machine, does that mean I have to go i5 2.5 GHz and also forget about 15" models?

So here's something I noticed: the fan noise level is not always directly linked to the temperature of the laptop, but seems also to be linked to the actual load of the CPU.

"Hot and quiet" is relative to what you'll be using the machine for. Even the i5 will get loud of it's under load.

Reactions: canhaz

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
Going to stick with my 2015 MBP with 16GB memory and 1TB drive only because I also have a TB2 dock from OWC. I'd have to replace it if I replaced my MBP and spent too much money 15 months ago to justify switching again.

Why would that keep you from upgrading? A simple usb-c to thunderbolt adapter (though expensive at $50) would allow complete usage of the TB2 dock. Am I missing something? Will that not work? I only ask because I too have that dock and love it for the Firewire and HDMI connection that is missing from their TB3 dock. I need to upgrade since my 2013 MBP is crapping out on me and that's what I was planning on doing.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I was considering that config. Or maybe one down. I was looking at base CPU, 16GB, 1TB. I think you went up a CPU option as well. My config priced out to $2,599. I was on the fence about 13 v 15. Screen size v saving weight. When I looked at it the same 15” was $2,999. For $400 I would get 6 Core, larger screen, DDR4, and dGPU. Only downside would be additional 1LB in weight. The 15” just seems like a better value. Still have not ordered though.
For reference, I had some slowness issues with my 2016 13” MacBook Pro...found the 2017 15” fixed this...but I hate the weight. I have both right now...I can’t sell my 13”, it’s too easy to take to meetings and does 95% of everything perfect.

Anyway, to your point, go with the 13”...I made the 15” mistake and kept the 13”. I’m selling both right now to get the 13” 2018.
[doublepost=1531719820][/doublepost]
Wondered if you could figure out where the ambient light sensor is that affects the True Tone display please? Most importantly whether it's on the inside and will only function when the lid is opened, or whether it's on the outside and will work even when the lid is closed. You'd probably figure it out by just placing your hand over different parts of the laptop, or by shining a torch on different parts of the laptop to see if the screen adjusts.

If it's on the outside, then people that dock their MBP with the lid closed and use an external monitor will still be able to have the True Tone work on their external monitor. Thanks!
An easy way I’ve done on devices is to use a flashlight that’s super bright. You can turn it on / off and see the colors change.

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
I wonder if the reapplication of thermal paste trick on the new 2018 i7 13" would help
[doublepost=1531735740][/doublepost]
It doesn't seem to get much more hot than my Late 2016 MacBook, but the fans do fire up as soon as the work load increases dramatically. It haven't experienced throttling so far :)

Thanks man, good to know. I guess will also keep a lookout for comparison to the 2017 i7 (which is what I have). If one was concerned about the fans/heat, one could rather go for the 2018 i5. However that's a step down in single core performance compared to the 2017 i7.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Most importantly whether it's on the inside and will only function when the lid is opened, or whether it's on the outside and will work even when the lid is closed.
Almost 100% assuredly the ambient light sensor is located in the display bezel, as there's no obvious windows anywhere in the casing itself; not after Apple did away with the IR remote receiver on their laptops anyway...

It doesn't seem to get much more hot than my Late 2016 MacBook
Yes, as both laptops use the same class (IE, power consumption level) of mobile processors, and the laptop internals is probably virtually unchanged too compared to 2016 model (heatpipes, sinks, fans and so on), that is probably to be expected... :)

So here's something I noticed: the fan noise level is not always directly linked to the temperature of the laptop, but seems also to be linked to the actual load of the CPU.
As semiconductors are virtually perfect converters of electrical power into heat, the relationship between load and heat output is also pretty much linear. So it would make sense that fans follow CPU load; quite likely there is an internal temperature diode (or set thereof) which monitor the temperature of the processor die directly which controls the fan speed. Silicon die temp can easily jump 50C in a second or two in a modern microprocessor when it leaves power saving mode and shoots off full throttle, so the laptop itself will obviously lag way behind in temperature swings.

Reactions: DeanL and canhaz

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007

"Hot and quiet" is relative to what you'll be using the machine for. Even the i5 will get loud of it's under load.

My MBP 2010 17" sounds like a vacuum cleaner or jet engine. Even within a four-minute of using on my laps, the skin turned red. I don't want a laptop to be like that.

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
My MBP 2010 17" sounds like a vacuum cleaner or jet engine. Even within a four-minute of using on my laps, the skin turned red. I don't want a laptop to be like that.
I reapplied thermal paste on mine, helped somewhat, no fan noise under browsing load... There’s also a fix for the kernel CPU throttling under load under lower temps,which sounds like still need to be done on the 2018 models (if you need it)

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London

The fans have been redesigned since then to be quieter.

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Why would that keep you from upgrading? A simple usb-c to thunderbolt adapter (though expensive at $50) would allow complete usage of the TB2 dock. Am I missing something? Will that not work? I only ask because I too have that dock and love it for the Firewire and HDMI connection that is missing from their TB3 dock. I need to upgrade since my 2013 MBP is crapping out on me and that's what I was planning on doing.

Yes, the USB-C to TB adapter will work perfectly fine with that dock.

Reactions: theISHkid

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011

Yes, the USB-C to TB adapter will work perfectly fine with that dock.

To be a bit pedantic, you're really wanting a Thunderbolt 3 to ThunderBolt 2 adapter.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Any details about displayport version from system info please?

I bought a base 15" today... Don't see anything in System Info about DisplayPort... Let me know exactly where to look and I'll get you an answer.

I don’t know how to check the version but according to ifixit it has DP 1.4.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Touch+Bar+2018+Teardown/111384
Step 9 shows Intel JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Controller which supports DP 1.4.

Reactions: DeanL

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
Also, that's a Titan Ridge controller, which should provide full speed on all four ports of the 13" MBP.

Dang...if that's true, another reason for many to go with the 13" since it was capped to one side on both 13 and 15 2016/2017 models afaik

tonyz123456

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
Was the 1TB SSD worth it? I have a custom order for the 13in with the i7 processor, 512gb SSD and 16gb of ram on order. I'm tempted to get the 1TB configuration since it's available in stores but the $400 delta seems like highway robbery on that particular option.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Was the 1TB SSD worth it? I have a custom order for the 13in with the i7 processor, 512gb SSD and 16gb of ram on order. I'm tempted to get the 1TB configuration since it's available in stores but the $400 delta seems like highway robbery on that particular option.
I'll chime in here - I certainly don't need 1 TB but it's nice to have more than less. You probably won't see a real world difference but the larger the capacity the faster the R/W speeds are, so if you're going for it, might as well go for it.

It's really important to consider the value of getting a model that is stocked at the store. A recent article said that replacement parts for these units won't even be available until September, and you're probably looking at your computer being shipped out for repairs if you have a problem. With a stocked unit it can be replaced on the spot.

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK

Depends on your usage.
I ordered a 15" with max CPU and RAM, but only 512GB SSD since I have external RAID SSDs to use, as well as tons of external storage/NAS, hence I never use more then 100GB on my current MacBook, which I upgraded to 1TB (highest at the time)! You may find it cheaper to purchase a Samsung T5 for example, which is plenty enough speed for most users....

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I was considering that config. Or maybe one down. I was looking at base CPU, 16GB, 1TB. I think you went up a CPU option as well. My config priced out to $2,599. I was on the fence about 13 v 15. Screen size v saving weight. When I looked at it the same 15” was $2,999. For $400 I would get 6 Core, larger screen, DDR4, and dGPU. Only downside would be additional 1LB in weight. The 15” just seems like a better value. Still have not ordered though.

I ordered the same as OP.
  • 2.7GHz quad-core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage
I was going to get the 15 for the dGPU and with six-cores the extra cost is only ~£200 which is crazy for two more cores, faster RAM and dGPU. However, having used one for half an hour or so in the Apple store I just don't think I can carry it around daily and use conveniently, so went for the 13 and the Blackmagic eGPU. This doubles as a suitable solution for not having a dongle mess on my desk at home, and gives me the extra power when I need it.

Still waiting for my order to be processed, though. Can't wait for it to be here.

Reactions: DeanL

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009

While it would work, why spend the extra money. Also research would need to be done to ensure the adapter would work with the TB2 dock from OWC though I see no reason why it wouldn't.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I was searching for Geekbench scores for the 13" MBP 2018 but all I got were very contrasting results. Single core results were ranging from 3900 up to 5300 for the 13" model. My guess is that some people have mixed up 32 with 64bit and i5 vs. i7 results.

What is the actual speed of the 13" MBP 2018????

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.