Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Thanks. That helps.

I am wondering, though, what might be the explanation between the considerable difference in the single core results between i5 and i7 when compared to the multi core results... o_O
i7 can turbo boost higher than the i5, so with single core the i7 will perform better. However, once you're engaging multiple cores both units will have to throttle because of heat and performance will basically equalize.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
i7 can turbo boost higher than the i5, so with single core the i7 will perform better. However, once you're engaging multiple cores both units will have to throttle because of heat and performance will basically equalize.

How long does it take until the throttling kicks in when doing a single core calculation? I'm asking because I use biomedical apps that are still not optimized for multi core...

Reactions: Hitrate

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
How long does it take until the throttling kicks in when doing a single core calculation? I'm asking because I use biomedical apps that are still not optimized for multi core...

I wanna know that too...

Btw google the kernel task throttle hack it’s gonna be the same problem regardless of gen. Cause they all are setup to throttle too early but u can disable it

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009

Unfortunately I don't know how to test for this. If you know of a way and can describe it I'm happy to do that for you.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Thanks. That helps.

I am wondering, though, what might be the explanation between the considerable difference in the single core results between i5 and i7 when compared to the multi core results... o_O

If I remember correctly, Intel always specify their turbo frequencies for one core turbo boost only. If two cores turbo their frequencies will be lower than what is specified and so on. The single vs multi core results seem to indicate the i7 more aggressively ramps down the turbo frequencies when more cores are being used than the i5 does.

Reactions: Hitrate

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
@DeanLubaki

With respect to your old computer, 2016 MBP, how does the overall snappiness of the system compare?

I don't mean the sustained load scenario where CPU remains high for a while. I mean general stuff like.. the time between clicking on app(safari, system preferences) and actually opening it. Does general usage feel any faster / snappier ?

Last edited:

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Was the 1TB SSD worth it? I have a custom order for the 13in with the i7 processor, 512gb SSD and 16gb of ram on order. I'm tempted to get the 1TB configuration since it's available in stores but the $400 delta seems like highway robbery on that particular option.

The only reason I took the 1 TB from the 512 GB I had was a need of more space :)
[doublepost=1531931460][/doublepost]
I ordered the same as OP.
  • 2.7GHz quad-core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage
I was going to get the 15 for the dGPU and with six-cores the extra cost is only ~£200 which is crazy for two more cores, faster RAM and dGPU. However, having used one for half an hour or so in the Apple store I just don't think I can carry it around daily and use conveniently, so went for the 13 and the Blackmagic eGPU. This doubles as a suitable solution for not having a dongle mess on my desk at home, and gives me the extra power when I need it.

Still waiting for my order to be processed, though. Can't wait for it to be here.

1. I made the same choice for the same reasons
2. You might be able to pick one up from the store. The online pickup system do not display the custom configs but I can confirm that a lot of stores have it in stock. I picked up mine from the Apple Walden Galleria.
[doublepost=1531931592][/doublepost]
@DeanLubaki

With respect to your old computer, 2016 MBP, how does the overall snappiness of the system compare?

I don't mean the sustained load scenario where CPU remains high for a while. I mean general stuff like.. the time between clicking on app(safari, system preferences) and actually opening it. Does general usage feel any faster / snappier ?

It absolutely does. Even waking up the computer from sleep is way faster.
I have symmetrical 1 Gbps fibre at home, and I feel the difference from my Late 2016 to Mid 2018 even when just browsing the internet.

Reactions: TonyK

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
I have symmetrical 1 Gbps fibre at home, and I feel the difference from my Late 2016 to Mid 2018 even when just browsing the internet.
Hmm.

I'm kind of surprised now. Because I was told by couple of other MR users that the difference in snappiness isn't noticeable. Good to know.

Reactions: DeanL

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
That might be the fresh install compared to an old install. lot more startup items, logs and other things which can influence that

Reactions: TonyK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.