Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
Apple always knows how to make their products & events compelling, even when changes are evolutionary.

The leaks around next week's 15 Pro announcement and the Wonderlust event in general have been underwhelming on the surface. Part of me hopes they have some surprises in store.

Let's have some fun speculating - drop your hot takes and bold predictions below...

...I'll start - a color for the Pro line that hasn't leaked and a tremendously impressive drop-resistance to they point they call the Pro "shatterproof" - with marketing heavily focusing on this aspect.

TacoFan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2023
The “shatterproof” thing sounds like a nightmare for a company. Just imagining the number of people complaining when they break their phones and the bad PR about it makes me nervous lol

• Love
Reactions: hovscorpion12

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
My bold prediction is that we'll see nothing more than very incremental updates, beyond their "best ever, leading, most advanced ever" rhetoric. Basically we already know, it got leaked - a bit faster phone CPU, a bit better camera, a bit faster watch etc.

No redesign of anything, nothing foldable, no holograms, no distance charging, no round watch with a week battery life. Nothing to make one say wow. Everything stays more or less the same but slightly better and possibly a bit more expensive, some more emojis, watch bands, minor stuff.

Followed by slightly declining sales. Nothing earth shattering or surprising, just slow trends everywhere.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I predict there will be a big flashy production to hide the fact there won't be a whole lot of change.

We can expect a marginal improvement in the camera. We can expect new services to make your life 'easier' and and the ecosystem more tightly connected. And the usual stuff, "The iPhone now has 'world class' X feature and we made it better!", blah blah blah.

Apple is good at marketing.

But have we really gotten to the point where a new color is exciting? Is the iPhone so boring that changing the color satisfies customers desperate for any change at all?

I like my iPhones black, and unfortunately I often have to settle for Space Gray. I'm not in any way excited about a new color.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
My two thoughts:

BATTERY LIFE
Battery life will jump more than predicted. Just thinking that because of the 3nm processor and I believe the display and modem have efficiency improvements. Also, aren’t the battery capacities predicted to increase? Fact checks welcome but no throwing sharp objects.

NEW ZOOM REVUE
I’m curious about the details of the new zoom. Will it have more than the predicted 6x? How about image stabilization? Will there be software surprises around the zoom similar to the kind of thing they did with Dynamic Island?

BONUS CONJECTURE
The shift of cases and bands to new materials is part of an overall keynote theme around sustainability and possible announcements about new achievements in renewable energy use.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
I predict there will be a big flashy production to hide the fact there won't be a whole lot of change.

We can expect a marginal improvement in the camera. We can expect new services to make your life 'easier' and and the ecosystem more tightly connected. And the usual stuff, "The iPhone now has 'world class' X feature and we made it better!", blah blah blah.

Apple is good at marketing.

But have we really gotten to the point where a new color is exciting? Is the iPhone so boring that changing the color satisfies customers desperate for any change at all?

I like my iPhones black, and unfortunately I often have to settle for Space Gray. I'm not in any way excited about a new color.
As for colors I almost always get silver. I just don’t care that much.
I think people get excited about colors because we so rarely get any real choice of color. They’re always shades of grey and maybe a blue grey or gold.

It would be earth shattering if the Pro models had anything resembling sports car colors: grabber blue, Lamborghini orange, green, etc

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2021
My hot take or what I’d want is for Apple to not only add USBC, but drop every iPhone model without it entirely. Go back to one year of models at a time instead of several. Actually do this with all product lines at their respective events.

It won’t happen since Apple would rather have the money from those who buy previous models than let other retailers get it. Plus being next to a $1k phone makes last year’s $730 “affordable”.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I think there’s going to be more to the periscope camera than people are thinking.
I don’t think it’s going to be marketed just for extra zoom.
When Apple introduced the telephoto lens on the iPhone 7+, they marketed that it enabled portrait mode way more than they did the actual zoom improvements.
I expect the new periscope blends to enable some sort of software mode exclusive to the Pro Max.
Maybe simultaneous video capture from all three lenses, so you can go in and adjust which lens is being used in post?
I don’t think it’ll be that, but it’s going to be something

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Battery: The phone is thicker. The chip is more efficient. I’m guessing larger changes to battery life like others have said.

The action button - probably something there. That’s a big change. I’m hoping they highlight shortcuts and different workflows. Single press. Double press. Maybe holding it down and even a triple press.

Camera: Another video or photo mode. Last year it was action mode for video. It would be awesome if they figured out how to take 3d video for clvision pro already.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
As for colors I almost always get silver. I just don’t care that much.
I think people get excited about colors because we so rarely get any real choice of color. They’re always shades of grey and maybe a blue grey or gold.

It would be earth shattering if the Pro models had anything resembling sports car colors: grabber blue, Lamborghini orange, green, etc
I thought the blue being offered on the 13 mini was decent.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
There’s usually a surprise or two that no one predicted. Last year was dynamic island, but often there is something software, I'm guessing it will be to do with the new Zoom capability on the Pro Max, maybe it catches up to Samsung.

Hardware wise, maybe we will see AirPods Max updated. Mark Gurman said there are 4 briefings for the press, AirPods was one of them, no way would they just have a whole briefing based on just USB-C update to AirPods Pro.

Reactions: hovscorpion12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.