Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
The word they are making a play on
would certainly have that meaning.

Strong longing or impulse for “wandering”
becomes
strong longing or impulse for “wondering”

“wondering how I’ll afford this year’s phones?”
“wondering how many times they’ll say ‘magical’?”
A portmanteau perhaps?

Reactions: hovscorpion12

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
I predict they’ll announce a new iPhone mini or iPhone flip that was kept tightly under wraps all this time.

Or, and XL a iPad Pro would be nice!

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I feel like this will always be the case. It's a forest for the trees situation where we are so granular on MR that we don't see the overall leaps and bounds.
Sometimes there are leaps, like the X.

But now smartphone companies are victims of their own success.

They're all fast, even the cheap ones, all cameras are pretty good, software updates are pretty good etc.

It's just really hard to differentiate and make a genuinely better one without some brilliant idea or major technological breakthrough that isn't coming for anybody including Apple.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
My Cool Ranch predictions: Surprise iPad Air 6 and Apple Pencil 3 announcements, new HomePod/Standby mode dock accessory thingy, a date for the Vision Pro, and a preview of a new iMac (or iMac Pro) with M3 and a bigger display.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I only care about the iPhone stuff. Still very much enjoying my Watch Ultra, don’t need USB-C case for my AirPods Pro, I’ve been running iOS 17/iPadOS17/watchOS 10 since June so no surprises there.

I do think an update to Apple Pencil that works retro with the iPad Pro 2018 and up would be a cool surprise but I imagine that will come with new iPad Pros later.

I’m coming from a non-Max 13 Pro, so I’m excited to jump up to 15 Pro Max for the display size and battery, and excited to have dynamic island. The rest of the features and details are like icing on the cake for me. 🧁📱

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Not sure if anyone has said it, but I predict the iPhone Pro Max will be left alone for a full update. However, the price hike is in the new, additional model, iPhone 15 ultra (maybe iPhone 15 pro Ultra). It’ll be just like the pro max but for those “who are more pro.” It’ll have an action button, visually different so people know you spent more than the Pro Max, and feature cameras on the top and the bottom to make live 3D photos to help bring relevance and unification with the apple pro vision. So people can start making media for the vision pro and be ahead of the curve.

They may go flat back and give it a bigger battery so there’s aren’t two camera bumps. And that will be like $1,499 or 1,699 and that’s why there’s a discrepancy about a price bump.

It may be positioned as a soft upsell from the Pro max at something “competitive” like $1299 but a second set of cameras are indeed expensive to apple and I think 1.5+ is more likely

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee

They're all fast, even the cheap ones, all cameras are pretty good, software updates are pretty good etc.

It's just really hard to differentiate and make a genuinely better one without some brilliant idea or major technological breakthrough that isn't coming for anybody including Apple.
I think that is a fair assessment

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008

15+ years in, the device category has matured. Even the cheapest devices get the job done (but often have terrible lifespans).

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Do we really need to have an hot take?
We can pretty much write a script for tomorrow's event with all the info we have.

Same lineup, same memory tiers, same price points. I'm pretty sure of this even though I'd rather not be.

Last edited:

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
One thing they won’t announce … USB-C.

This is Apple after all so it’s going to have an Apple-ly name.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
We can pretty much write a script for tomorrow's event with all the info we have.
I can imagine last year's.

Apple HQ, Cupertino

“Come on, people, we need some ideas for the new iPhone. Bang your heads together until something useful comes out”
Raises hand. “Tim? Tim?”
“What are you, first grade? Do you need to say ‘Miss’ as well?”
“Miss?”
“OUT WITH IT!”
“We can do more emojis?”
“GET THE **** OUT!”
“Ahem, Tim, Sir, how about some megapixels?”
“What is this, 2004? Megapixel wars? Android has us beaten anyway”
“Yeah but we’ll just tell our users we have the most. They believe anything anyway”
“Fine, do the megapixels. Anyone else?”
“I have an idea, Tim, Sir. How about we do a pillbox cutout instead of the notch?”
“ARE YOU DERANGED? It’s hard enough watching Elton John on YouTube without full screen. Now you want me to have the cutout even in regular mode?”
“But Sir, at least it will look different. We’ll say it’s better. Our users believe anything. And we’ll put these stupid animations around it. You know, our users go gaga for animations”.
“Fine. Just call it something cool, like an island. Treasure island or something. Dismissed”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.