Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
There’s usually a surprise or two that no one predicted. Last year was dynamic island, but often there is something software, I'm guessing it will be to do with the new Zoom capability on the Pro Max, maybe it catches up to Samsung.

Hardware wise, maybe we will see AirPods Max updated. Mark Gurman said there are 4 briefings for the press, AirPods was one of them, no way would they just have a whole briefing based on just USB-C update to AirPods Pro.
Ahem, the pill box was leaked (and Apple fired the leaker) but we just didn't know the pretentious name.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'm guessing there will be some incremental Siri improvement that will (very cautiously) leverage LLM AI chat functionality. Something that starts with sequential back-and-forth responses, that they'll build on later. Processing will continue to be done on-device. I think we might see some big improvements to transcription, for instance -- as competitors are rolling out on-device transcription engines that blow away the one iOS has now.

Siri is a huge gaping hole in iOS (and iPadOS and macOS) right now, and they're surely looking to at least start to close the gap. I'm hoping that means something new that's "Siri" in name only, and has entirely new machinery working underneath the hood.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
There's going to be an absurdly long segment on the camera refinement to the Pro Max, with lots of hyperbolic rhetoric. "First ever," "revolutionary," "amazing," and so on. Expect the video to zoom in to the atomic level of the phone and show how the individual lens elements get arranged inside the device. This is their headline new feature -- and, as far as I can tell, the only one -- so they're going to milk it like crazy.

Lcgiv

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2017
Hangzhou
Apple always knows how to make their products & events compelling, even when changes are evolutionary.

The leaks around next week's 15 Pro announcement and the Wonderlust event in general have been underwhelming on the surface. Part of me hopes they have some surprises in store.

Let's have some fun speculating - drop your hot takes and bold predictions below...

...I'll start - a color for the Pro line that hasn't leaked and a tremendously impressive drop-resistance to they point they call the Pro "shatterproof" - with marketing heavily focusing on this aspect.
That would be cool, but I’d think the slimmer bezels would mean more risk of damage after a drop. Hope you’re right.

I’ll go with active multitasking on the max lol

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
There's going to be an absurdly long segment on the camera refinement to the Pro Max, with lots of hyperbolic rhetoric. "First ever," "revolutionary," "amazing," and so on. Expect the video to zoom in to the atomic level of the phone and show how the individual lens elements get arranged inside the device. This is their headline new feature -- and, as far as I can tell, the only one -- so they're going to milk it like crazy.
And the USBC port. It took them a lot of courage to put in ;)

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
My bold prediction is that we'll see nothing more than very incremental updates, beyond their "best ever, leading, most advanced ever" rhetoric. Basically we already know, it got leaked - a bit faster phone CPU, a bit better camera, a bit faster watch etc.

No redesign of anything, nothing foldable, no holograms, no distance charging, no round watch with a week battery life. Nothing to make one say wow. Everything stays more or less the same but slightly better and possibly a bit more expensive, some more emojis, watch bands, minor stuff.

Followed by slightly declining sales. Nothing earth shattering or surprising, just slow trends everywhere.
I concur.

My boldest prediction for tomorrow is that we're also going to see USB-C versions of 14 and 14 Plus, which will see good sales because they also offer USB-C and come in at new lower prices ($699 and $799, respectively) and really offer most of iPhones 15 and 15 Plus specs just sans Dynamic Island.

A <$799 USB-C iPhone would definitely convince even more to upgrade.

I also predict that Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2nd Gen. will offer better battery life than the "18/36 hours" we have in the current line-up because of to the new Watch SiP. Not much but a little simply because you can't sell anyone on the notion that they need a faster chip in their Apple Watch. Having the SiP drain less battery because of how efficient it is would be a solid sales argument.

My wildcard prediction would be some sort of very impressive spatial awareness when pairing Apple Vision Pro with any of the new iPhones and Watches that get the second generation U2 chip.

The rest should be pretty boring apart from some spicy Craig Federighi or Tim Apple memes. Solid, incremental upgrades all around. But, ultimately, boring.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
I concur.

My boldest prediction for tomorrow is that we're also going to see USB-C versions of 14 and 14 Plus, which will see good sales because they also offer USB-C and come in at new lower prices ($699 and $799, respectively) and really offer most of iPhones 15 and 15 Plus specs just sans Dynamic Island.

A <$799 USB-C iPhone would definitely convince even more to upgrade.

I also predict that Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2nd Gen. will offer better battery life than the "18/36 hours" we have in the current line-up because of to the new Watch SiP. Not much but a little simply because you can't sell anyone on the notion that they need a faster chip in their Apple Watch. Having the SiP drain less battery because of how efficient it is would be a solid sales argument.

My wildcard prediction would be some sort of very impressive spatial awareness when pairing Apple Vision Pro with any of the new iPhones and Watches that get the second generation U2 chip.

The rest should be pretty boring apart from some spicy Craig Federighi or Tim Apple memes. Solid, incremental upgrades all around. But, ultimately, boring.
Why would they change an old model? The EU law is only for new devices

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Nobody knew that it was the Dynamic island, everyone was saying it’s was going to be a pill shape but separated, it’s the software that makes the Dynamic island good.
The hardware detail was leaked, anybody who was interested knew that the 14 Pro was going to have a pill box cutout.

As for the animations that make it good, I think we differ on this one. To you, it was a big surprise and something to behold, it transformed an ugly screen cutout into La Isla [Dinámica] Bonita.

To me, it was lipstick on a pig. It remains an ugly pillbox and no amount of animations and more or less useless little widgets with duplicate functionality ain't gonna fix that.

Let's rather have a full screen iPhone with no notches or cutouts. That'd be nice. There are already a ton of full-screen phones out there.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The hardware detail was leaked, anybody who was interested knew that the 14 Pro was going to have a pill box cutout.

As for the animations that make it good, I think we differ on this one. To you, it was a big surprise and something to behold, it transformed an ugly screen cutout into La Isla [Dinámica] Bonita.

To me, it was lipstick on a pig. It remains an ugly pillbox and no amount of animations and more or less useless little widgets with duplicate functionality ain't gonna fix that.

Let's rather have a full screen iPhone with no notches or cutouts. That'd be nice. There are already a ton of full-screen phones out there.

They leaked that it was going to be a pill that was separated as I’ve mentioned. Dynamic island is quite useful, Apple Maps, Apple Music, AirPods charging status and so on. It’s something different than just a pill shape that’s already out there. Also you can’t really see the separated holes unless you hold it under light!!

Apple haven’t got to the stage where it’s a full screen without cutouts, simply because the quality isn’t there. Under display cameras sacrifice something when it comes to the quality.

That’s not me knocking Samsung or any of the other brands. In fact I like Samsungs S23 Ultra, ive tried it twice this year, both times I sold them. I did however like the camera, in particular the zoom lens, even tho the 100X is useless and pointless.

All in all I’m interested to see what Apple do with the Zoom capabilities of the 15 Pro Max.

UsedToUseAnA2E

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
  1. Software enhancements to iOS 17 that were not visible in the betas. Including:
    1. Significant software improvements to Dynamic Island. So far there has not been much in the way of 3rd party work here (yes sports etc, but we need more). This would include enhanced APIs for developers, tweaks to the way things work from a visual perspective, etc.
    2. Notification enhancements.
    3. Emergency SOS in more countries, and enhancements to the process (expect a series of videos about people saved by this feature).
  2. Minor battery improvements (even 30 minutes can be significant), due to a mix of larger batteries, more efficient processors and software improvements (more efficient notifications and Dynamic Island).
  3. More companies / countries to support eSIM, and more countries restricted to eSIM only
  4. What I would love to see, but do not expect
    1. have the Apple apps such as Contacts, Photos, Camera etc. show up in the app store so that there can be updates without waiting for a new OS.
    2. Better Wallet support to enable apps to more easily integrate with it. Very few do today.
    3. Enhanced and new sensors in the Apple Watch.
    4. Camera settings that allow you to turn off or control over-processing of images

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I think wonderlust will be a reference to some new capabilities for the apple watch since the ultra played up the mountain climber/diver/hiker angle.
The word they are making a play on
would certainly have that meaning.

Strong longing or impulse for “wandering”
becomes
strong longing or impulse for “wondering”

“wondering how I’ll afford this year’s phones?”
“wondering how many times they’ll say ‘magical’?”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.