Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I don't have IOS 16 installed (and I'm struggling to understand what's changed) but how @thesage01 described it is exactly what happens for me:
  • You receive a new notification (example: e-mail via GMail app)
  • Ignore it, unlock the phone and get to the app icons (swipe up or press home button etc)
  • Use calculator or something (optional), then lock the phone
  • Wake phone up again
  • GMail notification is gone
Not gone, hidden until you swipe up from between the camera and flashlight on the Lock Screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: decypher44

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
THIS!

Why are those two icons there? They don't do anything when tapped, are already in Control Center, and the camera is already a swipe left on the Lock Screen.
You have to long press them. But I do wish we at least had the option to get rid of them.

Reactions: FitzZic

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
You have to long press them. But I do wish we at least had the option to get rid of them.
I would love to disable them too, or at least have something else than the Camera app, as it is one swipe away anyway.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
I submitted feedback as well. With these notification issues, it’s nearly impossible to use the phone for enterprise. I’m missing so many outlook emails and teams messages because they only stay in the Lock Screen for about 30 minutes before being banished to the second, invisible Notification Center. At MINIMUM we need a count of how many are in Notification Center 2.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
For some reason in iOS15 if I had a message notification and I opened messages and read the message the notification would automatically disappear, however in iOS 16 even if I delete the message the notification is still there until it’s removed independently… is this a bug or how it’s meant to now be?

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
No one, not even Apple, knows what’s it supposed to be. In iOS16 they invented mystery Notification Center tiering system: blank notifications but pretty wall paper tier 1, some indeterminately recent notifications tier 2, then tier 3 disappeared notifications that disappear if you unlock your phone to do other things and didn’t look at the notifications beforehand or if they ages for some indeterminate amount of time, and tier 4 where all other notifications rot.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
No one's more shocked than me but I'm actually getting used to the lock screen deal and love it!!! I just downloaded iPad OS 16 and was disappointed the customizable lock screen isn't included.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
My lock screen is virtually identical to what it was before. Time is a lot bigger....but other than that....pretty much the same.

I don't understand all the excitement about a lock screen, especially when Apple makes the camera freely available to anyone with access to the phone. Huge security issue....phone isn't really "locked".

If I could customize my lock screen any way I wanted, I would give it the ability to actually lock the phone.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I'm still seeing inconsistent behavior as to when something actually shows up vs. being immediately relegated to the hidden notification center. I'm finding notifications that have been relegated that I never saw in the main "live" notification area first. 🤷‍♂️

But hey, I'm definitely getting used to this inconsistent experience. I'm changing my behavior to adjust to it... by simply not trusting it. 👍

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
My lock screen is virtually identical to what it was before. Time is a lot bigger....but other than that....pretty much the same.

I don't understand all the excitement about a lock screen, especially when Apple makes the camera freely available to anyone with access to the phone. Huge security issue....phone isn't really "locked".

If I could customize my lock screen any way I wanted, I would give it the ability to actually lock the phone.
Notifications tho....

Reactions: decypher44

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Presumably you can still access the NC by pulling down the shade (which would be the part of this discussion that pertains to you)?
Are you addressing me?

If you are, the "shade" is disabled too.

I wish I could do the same for the camera.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Woke up this morning and my Lock Screen was clear. I had a badge on an app on page 3 which I initially missed and so I wrote to the app devs telling their app was faulty because although the badge count updated there was no associated banner.

I then rebooted my phone and when I swiped up there were about 25 banner notifications that I missed. It wasn’t an app bug at all.

Why on earth on the iPhone 14’s always on display is the Lock Screen blank unless you swipe up to see notifications.

Surely I must be missing something and this can’t be working correctly?

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
It does like a reason to stay away from iOS 16, at least for the moment. I was eager to update on my 13 mini but maybe I should rather wait for the .1 or .2 release.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Noticed that with the announce notifications through AirPods it makes the sound of a text coming through… doesn’t read it then asks if you want to reply…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.