Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Is anyone else having a hard time dealing with the notifications coming in from the bottom of the lock screen? I keep missing important notifications with them coming in this way and not being displayed fully across the lock screen like they were in iOS 15. I changed the Notification settings to 'Count' so I can at least get a glance of the # of notifications piled up down there...which shows the # most of the time but sometimes doesn't, which hopefully Apple tweaks further in upcoming iOS releases to work consistently. I get what Apple was trying to address here with user complaints of notifications flooding their lock screen in previous iOS versions, but this time with notifications being buried and hidden at the bottom of the lock screen and not seeing them until you swipe up from the bottom (which I'm sure most iPhone users won't realize) this doesn't seem like an effective way of managing notifications either....or maybe I need to change a setting somewhere to address this - didn't see one though.

With the official release of iOS 16 today I'm sure people will bring this up more and more.

Just my take on it. 🤷‍♂️

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Yep, this is my biggest gripe too. Swiping down from the top-left doesn't show the Notification Center anymore either, it shows an empty Lock Screen...so you have to swipe down then swipe up to see the Notification Center.

I get why Apple did it to the Lock Screen, but why does the top-left swipe down gesture have to show an empty Lock Screen now? I wish that would still show the Notification Center like it used to.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yep, this is my biggest gripe too. Swiping down from the top-left doesn't show the Notification Center anymore either, it shows an empty Lock Screen...so you have to swipe down then swipe up to see the Notification Center.

I get why Apple did it to the Lock Screen, but why does the top-left swipe down gesture have to show an empty Lock Screen now? I wish that would still show the Notification Center like it used to.
Ugh! Now when I do this to see notifications, it disables my flashlight! Restart will bring it back, but then it’ll be gone again after doing this with the lock screen. Was this an issue in beta?

• Wow
Reactions: dysamoria

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
My lockscreen flashlight "button" is gone completely no matter what I do (SE 2022). Also not a fan of the lack of battery percentage while charging. And yes, I could add the widget, but then it covers up / takes away the depth affect, which I kind of liked how that looked since my lock screen is a photo of my family.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yeah, I REALLY don’t care for the new notifications behavior. Not at all. 👎 You have to go through an extra step to view them. Why????

ETA: So you can’t see notifications that you’ve already seen, but that you haven’t cleared yet? I have a notification from BBC News. I left the notification alone. I go back to lock screen and pull up. It just says “No New Notifications” and won’t display it. But it’s in reality, still there. Am I crazy?

Last edited:

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Woah, that is going to take some getting used to. It definitely comes back to the; "Why change what ain't broken." I guess either they will change it back, or we will just get used to it.

nexu

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2017
So how is the list view setting different from iOS 15 notifications? I haven’t updated yet, notification situation is my biggest concern.

zephiK

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2021
I like it, simply because on the larger phone I can access the notification and open the app with one hand. I don't have to use my other hand or move the phone all around to access the top portion.
I agree with you there but sometimes the Notification Center doesn’t appear until you swipe up. Previously, Notification Center would appear without any additional steps.

That’s the biggest problem I have with the iOS 16 updates. List is working good for me so far though.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I agree with you there but sometimes the Notification Center doesn’t appear until you swipe up. Previously, Notification Center would appear without any additional steps.

That’s the biggest problem I have with the iOS 16 updates. List is working good for me so far though.
And yet, sometimes it does as well. It's oddly inconsistent - either that, or something I'm doing or something I tweaked made it appear when it should (which is the more likely scenario!).

Reactions: Samdh90

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
And yet, sometimes it does as well. It's oddly inconsistent - either that, or something I'm doing or something I tweaked made it appear when it should (which is the more likely scenario!).
I think new notifications just show up near the bottom but to view past notifications that you didn't already clear is the swipe action.

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018
Every time you lock your screen and go back to the main Home Screen and swipe down from the top left you have to swipe up again to show the Notification Center. If you don’t lock your phone they still show when you swipe down from the top left. It is either a bug or we need an option to turn off that need to swipe up to view the Notification Center. What is the point in swiping down and showing nothing but a blank screen for you to have to swipe up again? I say it’s a bug.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Every time you lock your screen and go back to the main Home Screen and swipe down from the top left you have to swipe up again to show the Notification Center. If you don’t lock your phone they still show when you swipe down from the top left. It is either a bug or we need an option to turn off that need to swipe up to view the Notification Center. What is the point in swiping down and showing nothing but a blank screen for you to have to swipe up again? I say it’s a bug.
Agree 100%. It makes zero sense. Has to be a bug.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

I have a 2022 SE, so I don't have to swipe from the top left. But swiping from the top in general is the same as the top-left on the Face ID devices. Either way, no flashlight option for me anywhere, at any point in that process. I actually use that quite often. I do really wish they had left an option to just leave it the old way - and I'm normally one to quickly adopt / adapt to changes like this. With all of the beta testers on these forums, I'm surprised these little quirks haven't come up more often - or maybe I just missed them in another thread. It's definitely not living up to the hype around these features so far.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I absolutely hate the new notification layout. I feel like I’m missing so many things because I have to swipe through. It’s not as easy to just glance over and look quick. Hopefully enough people will complain and they’ll Atleast give us the option to use the old way

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I don’t think it’s a bug per se. It’s too obvious to be a bug that lasted through all the betas. It’s probably working as they intended, but it’s clearly not the best user experience. I wonder why all the beta testers weren’t as vocal about this during the betas?

My mom finally got the hang of keeping on top of her notifications not too long ago after I noticed she would always have a ton of stuff in there. Not sure if it’s even worth showing her the convoluted new way…

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I don’t think it’s a bug per se. It’s too obvious to be a bug that lasted through all the betas. It’s probably working as they intended, but it’s clearly not the best user experience. I wonder why all the beta testers weren’t as vocal about this during the betas?

My mom finally got the hang of keeping on top of her notifications not too long ago after I noticed she would always have a ton of stuff in there. Not sure if it’s even worth showing her the convoluted new way…
I’m with you. I feel bad for my parents, they are in their 70s and this new way is definitely going to confuse them since you basically don’t see your notifications unless you look for them.

zephiK

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2021
I haven't "upgraded" yet but it sounds like once again we are all beta testers. Why don't they take longer and get it right? Every single release has big problems.
Probably because the iPhone 14 is being released with iOS 16 out of the box so they have to push it out as final release.

Release now, fix later. It's the risk we take for updating so early.

Reactions: MajorFubar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.