Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I’m sure I’ll get used to it, but so far I hate it. I always feel like I’m missing notifications. Also I just had one disappear. I keep bank transactions on there until I can record them in a separate app. I did that today like I always do and after some time it disappeared. Not ideal behavior.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Beta users felt the same way in June but before long it will feel normal and more intuitive. Having them come from the bottom is naturally where your thumb lives so no need to pull down from the top any longer. Scroll up from the bottom. I can't defend the choice, everyone has what they like but personally after a week I was done not liking it and just felt normal again.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Agreed, agreed, agreed! Coming from the bottom, I can get used to. But having to swipe twice just to see notifications, and that after seeing some notifications, they don’t show again, that I won’t get used to. Just a horrible design choice.

I’m pretty sure this was due to Dynamic Island.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I kinda dig it honestly, especially because I’m partial to the new “Count” display option :)

Mr. Jenkins

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2021
Go to Settings > Notifications and change it to list. It's pretty close to how it worked before but notifications pop in from the bottom instead of under the clock.
That was the first thing I did and it didn’t make me feel any better 🤣

Oh well!

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
They've broken notifications totally. I'll be ordering a Garmin watch, not one of the new Apple watches, as I need to preserve the option to go back to Android. And just when they almost had it right in IOS 15.

Reactions: antiprotest

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
I kinda dig it honestly, especially because I’m partial to the new “Count” display option :)
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding the feature, but when i change my notification style between stack, list, or count, nothing changes to how notifications are displayed? they still fly in from the bottom.

i was assuming when changing it to count that my screen would light up, but no notification would appear, instead only the count at the bottom would increase? i can "toggle" through the various notification styles by swiping down on an active notification and it will toggle between list, stack and count, but as soon as a new notification comes up, I'm back to the list view.

Edit: I think I've figured it out. When count is selected notifications will still show up as regular stack/list notifications but eventually clear from the lock screen and just get displayed in the count section.

Last edited:

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding the feature, but when i change my notification style between stack, list, or count, nothing changes to how notifications are displayed? they still fly in from the bottom.

i was assuming when changing it to count that my screen would light up, but no notification would appear, instead only the count at the bottom would increase? i can "toggle" through the various notification styles by swiping down on an active notification and it will toggle between list, stack and count, but as soon as a new notification comes up, I'm back to the list view.
Seems that a swipe down on a list-style notification contracts it into a count (if count is the selected display option), while a swipe down contracts the list into a count preview. Still rather confusing at this stage, though; I know what you mean.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I feel like they’ve never really known how to deal with notifications, and I guess they still don’t. For whatever reason, they won’t just leave them all on there until you clear them. They’re obsessed with putting old notifications “out of the way,” but I don’t know why you would really want that (remember when they had two panes – one for “Missed Notifications“?).

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Except you can't unstack stacked notifications. I had to go into each app that I have notifications turned on for and turn off notification grouping.

Apple missed the mark with this function. I get needing to have the notifications come in from the bottom due to the widgets, but keep the rest of the behavior with regards to stacking and unstacking the same.
I don't know what you mean by can't unstack? I did notice that they will group up if the device is locked and previews are disabled.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I'm a beta tester and have been using ios 16 for some time and I still haven't got used to notifications. On top of that, there's nothing new that I see as useful.

I've advised my wife to not update to 16. She's very *particular* so I'd never here the end of it if she had to live with the new notifications!

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
I hate all the new Lock Screen features to be honest. Hate all of the new wallpaper options, they also removed previous wallpapers. Really liked the one from iOS 15. The only thing that might grow on me is the new music player.

Battery percentage no longer shows in lock screen while charging, no way to tell how far charging is in a glance. Do they want me to add a widget to find out? Ludicrous.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I'm a beta tester and have been using ios 16 for some time and I still haven't got used to notifications. On top of that, there's nothing new that I see as useful.

I've advised my wife to not update to 16. She's very *particular* so I'd never here the end of it if she had to live with the new notifications!
Up to three of us so far that I’ve seen who are concerned about the complaints we’ll inevitably hear from our spouses. The first thing my wife did after updating was send me a screen shot of a notification and said “this is stupid.”

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I hate all the new Lock Screen features to be honest. Hate all of the new wallpaper options, they also removed previous wallpapers.

Can I still use the picture of Earth that I've been using for years?

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Can I still use the picture of Earth that I've been using for years?

At first, yes. But if you want to customize anything at all, you'll need to be able to find that picture and choose it again. If it's not saved anywhere, you're SOL on any customization and keeping the same photo.

Reactions: jk73

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Does anyone think that Dynamic Island has an impact here?
That is - iOS 16 was designed for (notifications) the new shiny flagship, not all of us with older iPhones....

Reactions: decypher44

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Does anyone think that Dynamic Island has an impact here?
That is - iOS 16 was designed for (notifications) the new shiny flagship, not all of us with older iPhones....
I don't really see how, the lock screen appears the same on all devices.

Reactions: antiprotest

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I'm just trying to make sense of this, you have to scroll through the small subset of cards now and the rest of the screen is just negative space, feels like they've taken something away here rather than enhancing the experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.